Keep Gase, Fire Gase or Be An Indecisive Know-nothing Who Waits for Perfect Information?

jetstream23

What should the Jets do with Adam Gase?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Jets do with Adam Gase?

• Fire him BEFORE the end of the season (to save Sam and move on quickly to start the search for a top HC candidate)
    • Fire him AFTER the season (he's not the right guy but it doesn't make sense to terminate in-season)
    • Keep him into next year, the 2020 season (Sam likes him and nobody could do much better with this team's lack of talent)
    • I don't know, I want to see more, I'm confused and I'm the guy who holds everyone up at Drive-Thru windows because I can't decide
  2. 2. What does Adam Gase have to do for you to want him back in 2020?

• There's nothing he can do. I want him gone no matter what!
    • He has to win out the schedule! Jets go undefeated the rest of the way.
    • He has to win almost all of the remaining games (maybe 1 loss) and the offense needs to look much improved.
    • He just needs to win the winnable games (Miami, Cincy, Washington, Raiders?) and maybe one of Pitt, NE, Buffalo.
    • The team just has to look better, improvement on O and D, and play hard the rest of the way. W's and L's don't matter with this roster right now.
    • I want him back in 2020 no mater what!

It looked like the team played hard today.  Still undermanned and it isn't pretty, but they didn't quit.  I think that's going to be the barometer from here on out.  It was looking dicey after back-to-back losses vs. Jax and Miami.  If the Jets didn't show up today and lost something like 27-10....it would have gotten really ugly really fast.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It looked like the team played hard today.  Still undermanned and it isn't pretty, but they didn't quit.  I think that's going to be the barometer from here on out.  It was looking dicey after back-to-back losses vs. Jax and Miami.  If they Jets didn't show up today and lost something like 27-10....it would have gotten really ugly really fast.

Of course the team played hard. Most of these players wouldn’t be on any other NFL roster. They are literally playing for their NFL livelihood. If the Jets end up 4-12, are we really going to support keeping the coach because the team tried hard? Wins are the only thing that matters and Gase struggles to do that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Absolute earliest I would fire him is after the season.  Realistically I give him 2020, but with a short leash.  A midseason firing at the bye next year would be fine IF Douglas has a good plan on who the next HC should be.  I don't want the Johnson's anywhere near that decision, but we all know they'll be involved.

• Upvote 3

At this point, Gase and Darnold have to be tied at the hip barring a complete and utter collapse and loss of the team the rest of the year.

Darnold is already in a horrible situation. He has horrible line, below average receiving targets, and is playing in his 3rd offense in 3 years. These guys are not robots, and QB's need some stability and some help around them to succeed.

If you give up on Gase, you might as well just draft another QB in this draft and move on from Darnold because asking him to succeed in a 4th offense in 4 years is insane. 

Im older than all of the instant gratification Jets fans, and remember the days when Coaches were given years to implement their systems and get the players that fit what they want to do. QBs were given years to develop. Now, half way through one season everyone KNOWS what a QB is, and KNOWS what a coach is. 

Patience for patience sake is stupid, but so is a lack of objective analysis. In no way am I sold on Gase, and my though is he is likely not a good HC. That said, Mike Maccagnan was public enemy number 1 for his God awful roster building, now Gase is trying to make a good meal out of really bad ingredients. 

The smart thing to do would be to build up the line and get some good targets for Sam and Gase, and see what they have next year. If they still struggle, you start over the following year with a new coach and QB, and at least you have some line talent and some WR's to give them a fighting chance and help evaluate them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Personally, I would fire Gase at year end.  He will never win a Super Bowl, IMO, and hence he isn't the right guy.

If I have to predict the future, I think Gase gets three seasons here before he is fired.  Ownership will give him a complete 100% pass on 2019.  He'll get 2020 (which might even be a passable 7-8 win season), and 2021 before ownership dumps him. 

The worst case scenario, IMO, is Gase getting a few trash-time wins this year (we play some equally bad teams) and finishes say, 6-10.  Then he goes 7-9 or similar in 2020.  Then another middling year in 2021, say 8-8.  Ownership will see improvement and keep him for 2022 as well.  We'll have wasted all of Darnold's rookie contract on a Coach who simply isn't the guy.

• Upvote 1

imo the jury is still out on gase.  one win doesn't make a season but it does wonders to resurrect a lockeroom and there next few games are against teams they should beat.  good teams feast on the bad teams and while it won't get them to the playoffs, beating bad teams does show something.  and for the second straight game they scored an opening drive touchdown.  this shows that gase's offense isn't all that bad and can be executed by average players.  they also came back and moved the ball in the second half after falling behind.  obviously adams strip of jones helped but they still moved the ball okay and maintained the lead. gase still needs to adjust faster.

the bottom line is until the players tunes him out he should be coach.

After trading Mosley and Bell in the off-season we will make the playoffs next year. Astoundingly I actually think Jamal Adams gets it. We just watched him actually become the team leader on defense right before our eyes. I think we will be keeping and extending him and if we can keep this coaching staff together we will be very dangerous next year.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Fire Gase now, elevate Jim Bob Cooter to OC, and let them audition for keeping their jobs for 2020.

It's not going to happen, but this is exactly it. The playcalling and game management are atrocious. Rigidly sticking to a scheme your personnel cannot execute demonstrates a lack of creativity and adaptability. Two awful attributes for a head coach. Gase is a disaster and he's going to ruin Darnold. 

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Fire Gase now, elevate Jim Bob Cooter to OC, and let them audition for keeping their jobs for 2020.

I don’t think the jury is still out on Gase.  Among other things, that 3rd and 2 where he ran Bell into the middle sealed it up for me.  He is not a good HC and is not the future of this team.

But I do think he is working with a very bad roster and has had too many injuries.  Practically, to fire him now does not make sense, and it only makes sense after this year if we can get someone guaranteed to be better.  Gase is a problem here, but the roster is the biggest problem.  If the Jets can show the NFL they can fix the roster and get their act together, they will have dibs on much better coaches for 2021.  

But I would not give Gase a free pass.  If I am the Johnsons, if Gase wants to keep his job he needs to:

• Hire a real OC who could theoretically be an interim in 2020, or at least run the offense.  JBC works.  
  • Come up with a plan to get the roster much healthier and avoid injuries.
  • Get to the bottom of the injury grievances and show the league that this team is not a clownshow.

It is easy to say that the Johnsons should cut bait now, but that really is not reality.  Gase should be auditioning for his future, which is likely an OC job.  He needs feedback and leadership.  But it will be hard to hire a real replacement HC until the roster is better and the Jets can show that whatever stupidity that is going on with the injuries (occurrence and management) is corrected.