Jets and Knicks ownerships are the worst

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

"Jets and Knicks ownerships are the worst"

We're comparing franchises, not owners?

The Jets had an owner in 1998.  Old guy.  Ran a chain of gas stations.  Made toy trucks for Christmas.

SAR I

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are out of your mind. In a sport where everyone makes the playoffs, the New York Knicks have won a only a single playoff series since 1998. Since then, the Jets have made the playoffs 7

Don’t you dare bundle the crap Knicks in the same sentence as the Jets.  SAR I

Belichick without Brady would have been the same HC his replacement Al Groh was   Dude is the Phil Jackson of football.  He tells Brady to throw a td and everyone thinks it’s genius.  When B

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wow, I didn't know that, it's not like I was the first fan to shake hands and speak to Woody Johnson on Opening Day 2000 at Green Bay or anything.  "Thanks for keeping the team in New York, Mr. Johnson", I said.  "You're welcome, I like your jersey" he said, pointing to my brand new Pennington #10.

We are comparing franchises.  Not owners.

SAR I

🙄

18 minutes ago, islesmb said:

I am so happy the Islanders are no longer part of this conversation! 😎

I don't know how we got so lucky ...

Oh wait .. I do ...

NEW OWNERSHIP

Since Jon Ledecky and Scott Malkin took full control of the franchise three years ago they hired one of the greatest GMs in NHL history, they hired one of the best coaches in the NHL today, got us out of Barclays, back to NVMC on an interim basis and have shovels in the ground at Belmont. Oh, and they are one of the best teams on the ice from oblivion and the loss of their franchise face and future HoF captain. 

It's nothing short of remarkable.  And it all starts with ownership.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
6 hours ago, Bomberjet said:

Actually not quite. I recall that period very distinctly. That particular time when Parcells was stepping down from coaching there was an ownership change taking place.

Parcells highly endorsed Belichick to the Johnsons. The Johnsons were not responsive to this for what reasons that were never determined. This went on for several days to about 2 weeks without any word to even indicate they were for the proposal. So Bilicheck decided to hold a press conference and submitted his resignation on a paper napkin. 

It was poorly handled by the Johnsons. Bill was waiting in the wings but the Brothers Grimm gave no indication that they were supportive of Parcell's idea. 

It's safe to say that the Johnsons were a big part of N. Englands success.  The Pats should hang Chris's portrait in a hallway leading to their locker room.

So Bill after he was hired didn't want to work for the Johnson's? I hear you, but I am not exactly wrong here.

2 hours ago, islesmb said:

I am so happy the Islanders are no longer part of this conversation! 😎

Calm down little brother.

19-83 - - -- -, 19-83 - - -- -, 19-83 - - -- -, 19-83 - - -- -

SAR I

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Skeptable said:

The Wilpons are just as bad... Jets didn't lose Belichick... He didn't want to work for the Johnson's... If Hess didn't die I am not sure that would have happened.

Rangers succeed despite Dolan... So there is an element to just winning and the owners will leave it alone.

They are worse ...

1. Builds a ballpark that is a tribute to another franchise that skipped town

2. treats their own club as a small market team in the biggest sports market that the entire $%#in' world has ever known

never thought I would dislike any ownership more than Hess, guess it just goes to show you. The bad part is that I can choose to never patronize a Hess gas station (and never have since 1983) but the Wilpons do not have a windmill to tilt against 

• Like 1
Just now, The Crimson King said:

They are worse ...

1. Builds a ballpark that is a tribute to another franchise that skipped town

2. treats their own club as a small market team in the biggest sports market that the entire $%#in' world has ever known

never thought I would dislike any ownership more than Hess, guess it just goes to show you. The bad part is that I can choose to never patronize a Hess gas station (and never have since 1983) but the Wilpons do not have a windmill to tilt against 

I agree... And Jeff's insistence on being the team president is out of control when it is shown over the years how bad he is at his job. Dolan's involvement is just as bad with the Knicks, especially since he still take advice from Isiah Thomas. It also shows in the fact that the Rangers are way better run and James Dolan takes no interest in that team.

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I saw the documentary, I don't recall that happening.  Please show proof of that with context.  Woody didn't take over until after BB quit.  Him leaving was all about getting out from under BPs shadow and being upset with BP for not telling him what he was going to do.

The crap jet fans will spew towards Woody is amazing.  We had the best run in franchise history under him and it all happened while the Patriots/Brady had the greatest dynasty in the sport.

Woody is a clown.  Watch the documentary again Belichick specifically mentions having a meeting with Woody before quitting

The Knicks have made the NBA Finals multiple times under Dolan.  Woody wouldn’t sign Revis in 2014 with no corners on the roster and forced a trade for Tebow in 2012 with Bradway and Rex screaming for Russell Wilson in rd 2

Both owners suck stop acting like Woody knows anything 

12 hours ago, Skeptable said:

I agree... And Jeff's insistence on being the team president is out of control when it is shown over the years how bad he is at his job. Dolan's involvement is just as bad with the Knicks, especially since he still take advice from Isiah Thomas. It also shows in the fact that the Rangers are way better run and James Dolan takes no interest in that team.

They've one once in 80 years. Talk about setting a low bar.

• Upvote 1
On 11/11/2019 at 12:22 AM, SAR I said:

You are out of your mind.

In a sport where everyone makes the playoffs, the New York Knicks have won a only a single playoff series since 1998.

Since then, the Jets have made the playoffs 7 times, played in 14 playoff games, and won 7 of them, advancing to the Conference Finals three times. 

SAR I

I believe we have hosted one playoff game in all that time....  (pre PSL's of course)

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Also, the Johnson family have embarrassed Jet fans to the point of requiring them to rent out a plane 2 different times because there's no accountability in this organization.

It's also much harder to fly a plane inside Madison Square Garden. Had it been easier to slip one past security, I'm certain we'd have seen a lot of banners.

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I don't know how we got so lucky ...

Oh wait .. I do ...

NEW OWNERSHIP

Since Jon Ledecky and Scott Malkin took full control of the franchise three years ago they hired one of the greatest GMs in NHL history, they hired one of the best coaches in the NHL today, got us out of Barclays, back to NVMC on an interim basis and have shovels in the ground at Belmont. Oh, and they are one of the best teams on the ice from oblivion and the loss of their franchise face and future HoF captain. 

It's nothing short of remarkable.  And it all starts with ownership.

Before this ownership change the Islanders had easily the worst run of owners in NY and probably the country

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Also, the Johnson family have embarrassed Jet fans to the point of requiring them to rent out a plane 2 different times because there's no accountability in this organization.

Twice?  You mean one failed attempt?  By a media group looking for publicity?  Who cares.  
But blame the “Johnson family” for asswhipe fans looking for their 15 minutes. 
Want embarrassing?  Giants fans did get a plane over GS, ticket holders boycotted a game and the NFL threatened to take the team away from the Maras.  Turned around and now they’re revered 

20 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Knicks are following the 76ers blueprint. Trust the process. 

As a Sixer fan your process isnt even close. Hinkie kept the cap low and took on bad contracts to acquire more picks. The Knicks spent their money on a bunch of average PFs

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

Calm down little brother.

19-83 - - -- -, 19-83 - - -- -, 19-83 - - -- -, 19-83 - - -- -

SAR I

It's nearly 2020. The difference between 1983 and 1994 is negligible at this point.   

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Before this ownership change the Islanders had easily the worst run of owners in NY and probably the country

I won't disagree.  But lots of parallels between Wang and Johnson when it came to failed arena/stadium development attempts.  Both parties made major missteps in lining up support for their respective projects and are ultimately the reason they didn't accomplish what they set out to do and settled for a Plan B.

The only thing I give credit to Wang for - and it is deserved - he didn't move the team out of the area. Barclays is a not great situation but the alternative would have been Quebec of Kansas City and the team would have been gone forever.

• Upvote 2
On 11/10/2019 at 10:25 PM, 82nd Airborne said:

Both teams have had great opportunities to excel with elite personnel that were great coaches.  The Jets had Bellicheck and the Knicks had Pat Riley.  We know the success the both the Patriots and the Miami Heat have had with these elite individuals. 

The chance of any of these two teams to succeed is if they are both sold to a competent owner.  It starts from the top and the respect that players, fans and coaches have for the ownership of the team.  Players like Durant didn't see the vision of the Knicks or as a favorable team to play.  The Jets have been passed by other good players as well.  

We need new ownership in order to see any of these teams win a championship in our lifetime. 

Throw in the  Mets (Fred ' Coupon" Wilpon ) 

Dolan and the Johnson's are rich beyond anyone's dreams.  They can sell these franchises for billions of dollars yet they won't. They can hire anyone they choose, pay top dollar and just sit back and wait to be interviewed at the trophy presentation yet they won't.

These guys should love their franchises enough to want to build winners while talking a lesser role YET making money an possibly more.  

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Losing Belichick was a killer.  Pat Riley was a great coach but coaching (while definitely important in the NBA) is far and away the most important in the NFL.  On top of that, Jeff Van Gundy was every bit as good as Riley (if not better) imo.  

Yea Van Gundy quitting on the Knicks was the start of the ending

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Skeptable said:

So Bill after he was hired didn't want to work for the Johnson's? I hear you, but I am not exactly wrong here.

Bill never was hired for the coaching job,  but  did in fact want had aspirations of being a head coach for the Jets - the fact that he waited for an answer from the new owners was proof of that. Parcells endorsed Bill to the Johnsons.

It WAS the Johnson's that didn't want him.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

okay but considering that it only takes 38 wins or so to get into the nba playoffs just shows how pitiful the knicks are.

First of all the Knicks actually won 54 games in 2013, so they didn't just sneak in. Secondly there are football teams that sometimes get in at 7-9 or 8-8. The Jets are just as bad if not worse. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

No the Knicks were in the playoffs in 2013. 

The Knicks not only have more recently made the playoffs they won a playoff series

Meanwhile the jets are 11-42 the last 4 years

But yeah Woody is smart!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, section314 said:

They've one once in 80 years. Talk about setting a low bar.

And the rangers have been competitive making the playoffs every year until 2 years ago when they got old and they are now rebuilding 

The Rangers haven’t had the Devils success but overall they have been a competitive franchise the past 30 years and I’m not a rangers fan

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Knicks not only have more recently made the playoffs they won a playoff series

Meanwhile the jets are 11-42 the last 4 years

But yeah Woody is smart!

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And the rangers have been competitive making the playoffs every year until 2 years ago when they got old and they are now rebuilding 

The Rangers haven’t had the Devils success but overall they have been a competitive franchise the past 30 years and I’m not a rangers fan

Exactly, everyone gets on Dolan but I actually think he's a great owner. As a diehard Rangers fan I have nothing to complain about when it comes to ownership and with the Knicks I think their recent failures have been more on the rest of the front office not on Dolan. Everyone says Dolan scares away free agents but Artemi Panarin was offered more money by the isles and still came to the Rangers. The Johnsons are BY FAR worse.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

By the way, if BB was pissed at Woody for not taking his recommendation (this is obviously false, I'm just using this as an example) then he never would have stayed on as an exec under Woody.  BB and BP had a long running feud after he walked out on us. Woody allowed BP to talk him into hiring Al Groh, you don't think BP could have talked him into BB?  Woody revered Parcells, he tried to make him the highest paid coach TWICE.  The first time after he bought the team, the next time after Groh quit.  Woody loved BP and never would have gone against him.

Your making too many assumptions - the media reported that BB was recommended by BP to be the next head coach of the NY Jets, This is a fact - Al Groh was the 2nd choice after the BB incident ( and I don't even recall Grohs name being mentioned at all by BB when he stepped down as coach) -  abruptly signing  his resignation on a paper napkin in front of all the media.  I'm just basing it all on the facts before us at that time.

These dramatizations about feuds and all is just after the fact.

20 hours ago, nyjunc said:

What are you talking about?  Woody hadn't even taken over the Jets when BB quit.  It was Parcells who didn't let BB know what he was doing (even though he knew he was stepping down) and BB had a contact to take over once BP stepped down.

BB told Hess and the new ownership  he was stepping down.  He made the announcement. He had a press conference and made mention that he recommended BB. While this was taking place the Johnson's whom everyone and grandmother knew at the time , were to be the new owners, never acknowledged BP's endorsement -

BB showed his disgust in the the way it was all handled by the Johnson's by  submitting his resignation on a PAPER NAPKIN, LOL.... in front of the entire NY media !!!!

I say this with my own 2 dis-believing  eyes right on TV...... what is so hard to understand?

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Woody is a clown.  Watch the documentary again Belichick specifically mentions having a meeting with Woody before quitting

The Knicks have made the NBA Finals multiple times under Dolan.  Woody wouldn’t sign Revis in 2014 with no corners on the roster and forced a trade for Tebow in 2012 with Bradway and Rex screaming for Russell Wilson in rd 2

Both owners suck stop acting like Woody knows anything 

So you don't have any proof, got it.

Dolan began to have a real say after 1999, how's it been since then?

So Broadway sucked according to most Jets fans but they were supposed to listen to him about Wilson?  Last I checked Woody didn't make those decisions anyway.

Under Woody we saw the greatest stretch of Jets football in the history of the franchise.