Time for Gang Green to Start Spending is now

JetNation

IMG_2083.jpg

Jets General Manager Joe Douglas clearly has a lot of work to do this offseason when he gets his first full offseason with the club while trying to repair a roster that can use plenty of help in multiple spots.  The offensive line and secondary will be at the top of his list, while a new receiver or two would also be welcome additions.

With so many holes on the roster to fill, Douglas should take aim at retaining a few of the key pieces currently on his roster who are due to become free agents this offseason.  His top three priorities?

OLB Jordan Jenkins:

Jenkins has picked up 9.5 sacks in his last 15 contests and offers good support against the run.  With a need at edge for a true rush linebacker, the Jets can ill afford to let another hole open up on the other side of the defense by letting Jenkins walk.  Aside from the production, Jenkins is a tireless worker and a high character person to have in the locker room.

WR Robby Anderson: 

Say what you will about Anderson not being a number one receiver or the fallacy of being a “one trick pony”, the bottom line is that he’s a proven NFL receiver who consistently gets open and has some chemistry with Sam Darnold.  Even if you view Anderson as a second or third receiver, he’s still a valuable piece on a team that needs as many play-makers as possible.  Letting Anderson walk means one more gap on the roster for the front office to try to fill.

CB Brian Poole: 

Poole has been one of the Jets best defenders in the slot this season and will likely command plenty of interest in free agency.  In a secondary that’s in dire need of upgrades at cornerback, the last thing the Jets should be doing is letting one of their only good ones walk out the door.

The Jets front office will have a long enough shopping list this offseason.  No need to add three starters to it that are already in place.

The post Time for Gang Green to Start Spending is now appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
UlYX19CXJdY

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

I could understand resigning Jenkins.  He might take a team friendly deal, and he is probably underrated by the league..

But Robbie Anderson is overrated by many teams, would almost assuredly not take a team friendly deal after the trade deadline fiasco, and is going to be overpaid in the offseason.  I'm also not so sure he fits well in Gase's system.

We won't be able to afford Poole, who is going to cash in on a very good season and its not like he is an under the radar player.  Its also not clear if you want to spend that type of money on a slot cb.

I was looking at overthecap numbers and doing some simple math on how much money we actually have to spend, and it's considerably worse than I thought (despite first appearances).  Getting 3 or 4 average to below average OL starters in free agency and a CB1 is going to absolutely kill our cap space, even if they take under market value deals.   There is going to be a ton of jags on the roster next year, and depth will again be a problem as we're going to have to rely on a lot of rookies.  We don't really have any money for luxury FAs either, much less overpaying our own guys.

There is also the lingering QB2 problem.  We're probably going to have to spend some money on a solid backup qb next season to avoid this seasons snafu... If we do that, then there really is no room to maneuver unless you push the money into the following season, and that's not something you usually want to do in a rebuild year.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

if williams goes to 4-3 will jenkins fit in?  granted he's a solid player but going to be worth much if they can play to his strengths.  robbie?  they should try but he doesn't deserve no. 1 money or even no. 2 at this point.  poole?  they should do something.  the guy plays well.

They need Poole. JD needs to figure it out. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

This makes no sense.  

It does in the sense that had they not signed them, that money would have carried over into additional cap space in the following year.  There is no free lunch in the NFL.

Having said that, one year rentals are usually not the problem.  It's more the dead money that comes when we trade or cut players with many years left on their contract that then have to be replaced by new players that demand just as much.  Tru is a great example of this.  Cutting him next year essentially costs double, b/c we'll need to replace him with a new pricey CB1 in FA.

2 minutes ago, Hael said:

It does in the sense that had they not signed them, that money would have carried over into additional cap space in the following year.  There is no free lunch in the NFL.

Having said that, one year rentals are usually not the problem.  It's more the dead money that comes when we trade or cut players with many years left on their contract that then have to be replaced by new players that demand just as much.  Tru is a great example of this.  Cutting him next year essentially costs double, b/c we'll need to replace him with a new pricey CB1 in FA.

The plan wasn’t that he was a rental though

Well I m all for signing Jenkins but Poole I'm afraid is going to get a big pay raise. Will it be from the Jets? I hope so but it depends. Lets say they trade Adams and get an additional 1st plus more. I think they will then make a big attempt to keep Poole and use the additional picks to fill the holes in the secondary. If they keep Adams then Poole is a goner I'm afraid. Sucks but it is what it is.

Robbie actually stated that he wanted to be here during the whole trade deadline drama.  So I offer him a deal. Maybe he takes a deal with the Jets but if he reaches FA teams are going to pony up for this one trick pony. I think Robbie is gone as well if the Jets don't extend him. The roster is going to look a lot different next season as Douglas cuts whatever he thinks is deadwood and brings in his guys. We will see what that translates into.

Right now we have 3 NFL-capable WRs on the roster.  Crowder, DT and Robby.  And of them, only Crowder is under contract next season.  So we need to bring in 4 WRs.  While Robby isn't a must-keep, I would just as soon keep him if the numbers are reasonable.  And just to add to the headache, outside of Amari Cooper, who the Cowboys will bend over backwards to keep, there isn't much to be excited about in next year's FA crop of WRs.  Letting Robby walk so we can fight for the right to overpay Alan Hurns, Emanuel Sanders or Phillip Dorsett doesn't really excite me.