Can a missed Delay of Game be challenged?

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

People always get mad about this, but the reality is that teams have a split second once the clock hits 00:00 to get the play off.

This

Happens often, as long as the ball is snapped as the clock hits 00 refs let it go. They give them the extra 01. The last thing we need is more penalties being called

• Upvote 1

The clock is literally a ball park figure, the nfl has stated this often.  Let the clock get to zero, wait a second, then look  to see if it has been snapped. 

It should be called with an iron fist, they have eons to get a play off as it is.

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The clock is literally a ball park figure, the nfl has stated this often.  Let the clock get to zero, wait a second, then look  to see if it has been snapped. 

It should be called with an iron fist, they have eons to get a play off as it is.

This...the NFL has always explained that there is almost always about a second delay for the call.

The ref in charge of watching the play clock does not look down back at the field of play until after the play clock actually hits :00 - so there is a natural ~1 second grace period.

4 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

People always get mad about this, but the reality is that teams have a split second once the clock hits 00:00 to get the play off.

It was much more noticable than a split second . I sit in the Mezz endzone so have direct sight of the opposite EZ clock .

• Upvote 2

I believe the officials are trained that when the play clock gets down to about 2 seconds the field judge (or possibly a different official) watches the clock until it hits 00.  As soon as it hits 00 he then turns to the where the ball was spotted....if it's still there (hasn't been snapped) then it's a Delay of Game penalty.  If the ball is gone it's not.  The nuance here is in that split second it takes the official watching the play clock to turn his eyes from the 00 to the ball, so you essentially have about another 1/2 second or so to snap it.  I think it was either Dean Blandino or Pat Kirwan I heard talking about this once like a year ago.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I believe the officials are trained that when the play clock gets down to about 2 seconds the field judge (or possibly a different official) watches the clock until it hits 00.  As soon as it hits 00 he then turns to the where the ball was spotted....if it's still there (hasn't been snapped) then it's a Delay of Game penalty.  If the ball is gone it's not.  The nuance here is in that split second it takes the official watching the play clock to turn his eyes from the 00 to the ball, so you essentially have about another 1/2 second or so to snap it.  I think it was either Dean Blandino or Pat Kirwan I heard talking about this once like a year ago.

They always explain it that way but the play the OP showed was the clock sitting at zero for seconds. I'm sitting here in my living room screaming delay of game, yet nothing called.

I counted it at least twice yesterday and some of the others here saw it even more often. NFL officiating is a joke.

48 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Me too. But this one wasn’t as bad as the 3rd and 10 when we got called for DPI. To go from 3rd and 15 to a first down is awful. Then BAM! TD vagiants.

Sucks but we won so f them!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The one that set me off and threatened the integrity of my TV screen was the missed false start.  This was an inexcusable failure of the most basic responsibilities of a professional official.  They completely ignored the obvious false start and flagged our DL for offsides.  I don't know if that could have been challenged but if so, then shame on Gase for not tossing that flag.  That was everything wrong with NFL officiating in one play.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The one that set me off and threatened the integrity of my TV screen was the missed false start.  This was an inexcusable failure of the most basic responsibilities of a professional official.  They completely ignored the obvious false start and flagged our DL for offsides.  I don't know if that could have been challenged but if so, then shame on Gase for not tossing that flag.  That was everything wrong with NFL officiating in one play.

What made it worse it that they called it a false start initially which was the right call. Then they inexplicably changed it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Warfish said:

That's a problem then.  No doubt.

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

It was much more noticable than a split second . I sit in the Mezz endzone so have direct sight of the opposite EZ clock .

8 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

This one looked to be at least a second over.  Maybe two or three.  I was livid at the time.

8 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I was at the game. The clocks in the end zone were at zero, I also thought it was a delay of game. 

There was a legit feeling that once the Jets went up 14 - 0 that the refs had to come in and change the tempo back. There were a few times on that next few Giants drive that there was blatant missed calls (Delay of Game, Holding) or phantom calls against Jets (PI and defensive holding) to keep the game within reason. Not saying it was fixed but it felt like they didn't want to see a scenario where the Jets were blowing another team out in probably the last watchable game for either team in terms of TV ratings.

Officials  say that they look at the play-clock, wait for it to hit zero then look down at the ball (which could be a half second later), if the ball is snapped by then it won't be a penalty so you will often see plays run at 00 NOT be called delay of game. 

With that said, this definitely seemed to be more than half second. But we're the Jets and bad calls are just something we've always had to deal with. 

29 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

so in all NBA games the time on the screen of the 24 second shot clock is always the same as the actual shot clock but its not possible to do it in NFL games? 

NFL cant afford all that fancy-shmancy gadget stuff, come on!

5 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Why the hell was it a fox broadcast game when it was a jets home game? I hate games on fox.

If it's an out of conference game the road team determines what network carries the game. Giants were the road team so we get Fox, if the Jets were the road team we would of had CBS. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

10 hours ago, KRL said:

Great catch, I thought NYG committed that 2-3 times yesterday with no flags

The scoreboard on Fox was constantly off on downs. The Giant delay of games were so persistent and blatant I started wondering if the clock on our screens was wrong...

Clock on the TV is not official and can be off by a second. But this horse gets beaten several times a year. The clock needs to hit zero, the ref has to see it hit zero, then look at the ball and see if it has been snapped or not and then throw the flag if it has t been snapped. So there’s almost half a second buffer room.