NYJ pass defense the last three games

RonaldJet

9 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Gardner Minshew, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Daniel Jones

72/110 (65%) 875 yds 10 TDS 0 INT

Pickup Case Keenum in your fantasy leagues. 

That’s insane! Thank god for Trumaine...wait wut?

Daryl Roberts would have helped ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is why i'm not gushing over what jones did yesterday.  dinked it and the wrs ran it for tds.  

It was largely the same for Minshew too, who had short throws where we missed tackles and were out of position.

Part of it is just that we're blitzing a lot and playing a lot of Cover 1 or Cover 0 so it's a gamble... That and we're starting backup OLBs at MLB and DBs we signed on Wednesday.

It was absurd that the Giants kept trying to establish the run, though. Saquon had 13 carries for 1 yard... Every time they chose to run it was a victory for us.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It was largely the same for Minshew too, who had short throws where we missed tackles and were out of position.

Part of it is just that we're blitzing a lot and playing a lot of Cover 1 or Cover 0 so it's a gamble... That and we're starting backup OLBs at MLB and DBs we signed on Wednesday.

It was absurd that the Giants kept trying to establish the run, though. Saquon had 13 carries for 1 yard... Every time they chose to run it was a victory for us.

Literally no corners, no ILB, any decent QB will carve that up.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Best Safety duo in the NFL.....sliced and diced by passes over the middle all game long by a rookie QB, on a day where Saquon Barkley did nothing.  

Adams was one of the reason Barkley didn’t do anything, he was eating his lunch. He’s only one player he can’t do anything. His job was to contain Barkley, job done. 
Even with 6 sacks, a ton of pressures and no running game the CBs still gave up 4 TDs, they suck. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Adams was one of the reason Barkley didn’t so anything, he was eating his lunch. He’s only one player he can’t do anything. His job was to contain Barkley, job done. 

So Jamal is a Linebacker then.  Let's stop calling him a Safety.  Because if he's a Safety, it's not "job done" if all you're asking him to do is help stop the run.  

Also, the DL had a big role to play in bottling up Barkley.  I believe there are several threads popping up talking up guys like Shepherd, Fatukaski, etc.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Adams was one of the reason Barkley didn’t so anything, he was eating his lunch. He’s only one player he can’t do anything. His job was to contain Barkley, job done. 
Even with 6 sacks, a ton of pressures and no running game the CBs still gave up 4 TDs, they suck. 

at least one of those td's was clearly on misplaying the screen pass.  the defender was supposed to set the corner but got out of position.

give jones some credit.  the jets have bad corner play and he took advantage.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So Jamal is a Linebacker then.  Let's stop calling him a Safety.  Because if he's a Safety, it's not "job done" if all you're asking him to do is help stop the run.  

Also, the DL had a big role to play in bottling up Barkley.  I believe there are several threads popping up talking up guys like Shepherd, Fatukaski, etc.  

His job is whatever he is asked to do. Steve Atwater made a career out of it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Not a single pass rusher on the team, not a single roster worthy CB on the team, street UDFA's at LB.  If it werent for the tremendous play of 1 particular safety, this defense would wouldnt have a single NFL caliber player taking the field on Sundays.

God bless Pres Mal! 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

This the issue, not just now but long term.

Adams had a great game yesterday but in my mind you are sacrificing too much by having to or choosing to use players in this way.

We have no CBs and no pass rushers.  We can;t be using a safety as a pass rusher or run stopper all the time because it leaves you exposed in other areas.  You can't give safety help to CBs when you need to.

I am still on the trade Adams band wagon as much as ever even after a great game last night because we need CBs, pass rushers oline and wrs far more than a pass rushing run stopping safety that leaves other areas of your defense exposed.

Hey adams looks great making these plays as we watch our bad corners get eviscerated and watch other teams kill us with under neath routes.

I also think he is going to be an issue when it comes closer to contract time.

His value is at an all time high.  Trade him now and address two other positions in the draft.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So did Troy Palamalu.

I'm not saying Adams is Troy, but you have 1 good player in the back 4 (or 5 in nickel).   Maybe getting rid of that one player isn't the answer.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Not really.  He freelances at the LOS all the time.  And sometimes the team gets burned as a result.  He mostly does whatever he wants, whether it helps the team or not.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not really.  He freelances at the LOS all the time.  And sometimes the team gets burned as a result.  He mostly does whatever he wants, whether it helps the team or not.  

He is not calling the defensive plays, he is doing whatever the D coordinator tells him to do. He is doing a helluva a job. 

• Sympathy 1

Adams has a cap hit of ~7 million dollars in 2020 making him one of the highest paid safeties in the league and is in the final year of his rookie contract, unless we resign him to a 5th.   He has a dead money cap hit of 3.6 million in 2020.

If we traded him for a pick, a middle of the pack starting caliber S in FA is roughly 4 million per yr (maybe we get that for 5-6 Mil in FA b/c contracts are always inflated).  So you'd actually lose about 1.6-2.6 million in cap space from that operation.

B/c we are going to be so cap strapped trying to resign everyone, i'm not sure if our GM will pull the trigger on any such deal.  If he did, it might come midseason to lesson the cap hit.

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This the issue, not just now but long term.

Adams had a great game yesterday but in my mind you are sacrificing too much by having to or choosing to use players in this way.

We have no CBs and no pass rushers.  We can;t be using a safety as a pass rusher or run stopper all the time because it leaves you exposed in other areas.  You can't give safety help to CBs when you need to.

I am still on the trade Adams band wagon as much as ever even after a great game last night because we need CBs, pass rushers oline and wrs far more than a pass rushing run stopping safety that leaves other areas of your defense exposed.

Hey adams looks great making these plays as we watch our bad corners get eviscerated and watch other teams kill us with under neath routes.

I also think he is going to be an issue when it comes closer to contract time.

His value is at an all time high.  Trade him now and address two other positions in the draft.

You are assuming that the only way to get a quality CB in here is to trade Adams.  I don't buy that.  I think between the draft and FA, if we can add one above-average CB and get some improvement on the pass rush at one position, the whole defense becomes materially better.  We have a lot of young players who show some potential.  What we need are 2-3 stars.  So I don't think trading the only star we do have is a step in the right direction.  Jamal on a team with a little more talent around him would be even more of a game changer.  So let's get that talent the old fashioned way.

Just my opinion.  YMMV.

• Post of the Week 1