Sign in to follow this  
dbatesman

Gase and Injuries

Amid yet another rash of season-ending injuries, I noticed several people on Twitter complaining that injuries seem to follow Gase around. Sure enough, his Dolphins teams were among the most injured in the league each of his three seasons there, finishing 26th, 30th, and 22nd in Football Outsiders' Adjusted Games Lost rankings. 

Not sure what accounts for this, but this sample size suggests it's more than bad luck. It would probably behoove him to look at the way he runs practices, manages workloads, strength and conditioning habits, etc.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Mosely/Johnson seemed to be a case of securing the bag. Mosely being surprising while Johnson being predictable. Osemele was hurt prior to the Jets. Enunwa was/is always hurt. Herndon's suspension ruined his season. Cashman hurt in college. Williamson's injury wasnt preventable. 

Tough to say. Jets need to do a better job in identifying players. 

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He should also return to Oahu and out that cursed tiki idol back where he found it.

Gase can't catch a break :(

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mosely/Johnson seemed to be a case of securing the bag. Mosely being surprising while Johnson being predictable. Osemele was hurt prior to the Jets. Enunwa was/is always hurt. Herndon's suspension ruined his season. Cashman hurt in college. Williamson's injury wasnt preventable. 

Tough to say. Jets need to do a better job in identifying players. 

No doubt. And maybe I'm wrong and the sample size actually isn't big enough to draw any conclusions. My suspicion, based on nothing but anecdotal evidence and speculation, is that a.) Gase runs practices like Nick Saban did circa 1996 because he's a control freak who's incapable of change, and b.) the Jets are light-years behind the league in terms of nutrition/physiology/sports science/etc. because the Jets are always light-years behind the league on stuff like that.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Amid yet another rash of season-ending injuries, I noticed several people on Twitter complaining that injuries seem to follow Gase around. Sure enough, his Dolphins teams were among the most injured in the league each of his three seasons there, finishing 26th, 30th, and 22nd in Football Outsiders' Adjusted Games Lost rankings. 

Not sure what accounts for this, but this sample size suggests it's more than bad luck. It would probably behoove him to look at the way he runs practices, manages workloads, strength and conditioning habits, etc.

#GasegaveDarnoldmono

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No doubt. And maybe I'm wrong and the sample size actually isn't big enough to draw any conclusions. My suspicion, based on nothing but anecdotal evidence and speculation, is that a.) Gase runs practices like Nick Saban did circa 1996 because he's a control freak who's incapable of change, and b.) the Jets are light-years behind the league in terms of nutrition/physiology/sports science/etc. because the Jets are always light-years behind the league on stuff like that.

This is just stupid! It's well known that the Jets have one of the best facilities and training staffs in the entire league. As is such, we keep drafting injured players, and signing injured free agents. Nothing we are doing is causing injuries. This year we have just had blatent bad luck! And this is why our head coach gets a free pass. I hope Sam darnold and his sprained thumb, his broken toe that had the toenail surgically removed, his enlarged spleen and sore throat  and overall weariness from f****** mononucleosis, gets a free pass as well. By the way our offensive line completely sucks!

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Where do the Jets rank this year in injuries?  I found a website that tracks it but it requires payment.

There is something here.  

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

Where do the Jets rank this year in injuries?  I found a website that tracks it but it requires payment.

There is something here.  

Not sure--FO is the source I'm using and they don't publish their list until after the season.

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

History of players kissing whores?

A Game

Bad football teams have ‘injury problems’...who knew?

they have had a Nutritionist on staff for over 13 years.  Ivy League grad also  (granted second tier ivy in cornell but still).

https://cornellsun.com/2009/09/02/10-questions-new-york-jets-nutritionist/

I don’t think this is a coincidence. Something about the way things are run under him seems to cause injury.

• Butt Fumble 1

the optimist in me says 2020 season we are going to finish near the top of this list and do very well.  unless your view is that this is an Gates issue versus just some bad luck.

Are we officially blaming him for all that is evil in the world?  I think it's Gase's fault that I have bad cold today... I mean, it is fair to question his in game acumen and play calling .. 

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t think this is a coincidence. Something about the way things are run under him seems to cause injury.

Lets stop all of this hypothetical nonsense. It's all because Bill Bellicheat has a VooDoo doll of Gase!

giphy.gif

Injuries hurt a little more, are a little more severe, last longer....when you're a 2-7 team.  Winning teams with playoff potential seem to have guys who should be out for 10 weeks come back in like 6.  They're eager to play, they want to be on the field and enjoy the ride.  Our guys want to protect themselves and not get boo'd on Sundays while down by two touchdowns.  It's human psychology.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Gase knows....times are hard and gettin' harder. He's born to lose and destined to fail....

10 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the optimist in me says 2020 season we are going to finish near the top of this list and do very well.  unless your view is that this is an Gates issue versus just some bad luck.

It's hard to say. Matt's post lays out a decent case for most of our major injuries being bad luck/whatever Trumaine Johnson's deal is. But this is Gase's fourth year as a head coach, and in all four of those years his teams have suffered a lot of injuries. Seems like there's something there, but I have no idea how you'd go about figuring out what it is.

31 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

they have had a Nutritionist on staff for over 13 years.  Ivy League grad also  (granted second tier ivy in cornell but still).

https://cornellsun.com/2009/09/02/10-questions-new-york-jets-nutritionist/

The trainer's an old head too, and the S & C guy is in his seventh year. Beats the hell out of me.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He should also return to Oahu and put that cursed tiki idol back where he found it.

Just wanted to quote this again so you'd look downthread and see the kind of company you're keeping these days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

History of players kissing whores?

You rang?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Just wanted to quote this again so you'd look downthread and see the kind of company you're keeping these days.

I can't find it, but I responded to @Maxman wondering why Gase teams always have injuries and I posited that it's because Gase creates a hostile, low-morale work environment and employees in those environments tend to miss a lot of work. Not that low morale can induce a broken rib or a strained hamstring, but it can impact a player's willingness to play through those things, 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can't find it, but I responded to @Maxman wondering why Gase teams always have injuries and I posited that it's because Gase creates a hostile, low-morale work environment and employees in those environments tend to miss a lot of work. Not that low morale can induce a broken rib or a strained hamstring, but it can impact a player's willingness to play through those things, 

This is as good an explanation as any!

you also have to separate muscle injuries which could be conditioning related from a guy getting his ankle rolled on in a pile 

Also don’t think the trainer or strength staff came with him from Miami 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He should also return to Oahu and put that cursed tiki idol back where he found it.

You’re wrong (first time for everything), that Idol is in a vault protected 24 hours a day by armed guards, until he needs it, which is to every team he goes too, he’s getting close to having played for EVERY team,  It’s at Ryan Fitzpatrick’s palatial home, and it has allowed him to cash who knows $60-70 Million in NFL checks.

If you doubt the Power of it, just think in amazement what it did this year.  You had Miami tanking for a Franchise QB, having burned a #2 on Josh Rosen, who would have easily gotten them the #1 pick, scoring Tua or Joe Burrow with ease, but then Fitzpatrick did his VooDoo sh*t and voila, he’s STARTING in Miami for some reason, none that I can think of AND he’s in the process of Winning his handful of meaningless games, that will ultimately push Miami off a Franchise QB draft pick hahaha.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It’s well known Gase and Williams want high intensity training sessions. They want their sides of the ball to compete as if it’s game day at all times. 

It’s hardly surprising if that adds to wear and tear of players. Unless given proper rest and recovery time it’s always going to happen. 

We might not condition very well, likewise players may not follow their prescribed diets and sleep regimen. We’ll never know. 

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

t sure what accounts for this, but this sample size suggests it's more than bad luck. It would probably behoove him to look at the way he runs practices, manages workloads, strength and conditioning habits, etc.

nah. it's bad luck. this is always the most crap of arguments.

i was running fools ragged at the BBall courts then i sprained my ankle. fool tells me " you got weak ankles"

but i was busy running past, around and over his grabbbing his shorts to catch his breath , hands on knees ass minutes before...   what? he had better ankle training?

pffft. people say this about soccer teams all the time.