Sign in to follow this  
dbatesman

Gase and Injuries

I don't know that Gase is contributing to the injury issues on the team but I wouldn't criticize him for it without any credible evidence supporting it. The team has a lot of injury-risk players and injuries happen to every team. There is plenty to criticize Gase for that has credible support that we don't need to conjure up new reasons to dislike him.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He should also return to Oahu and put that cursed tiki idol back where he found it.

1033407700_tenor(6).gif.c092f23242c9dc4eafb6f231d89ebc1d.gif

17 hours ago, dbatesman said:

No doubt. And maybe I'm wrong and the sample size actually isn't big enough to draw any conclusions. My suspicion, based on nothing but anecdotal evidence and speculation, is that a.) Gase runs practices like Nick Saban did circa 1996 because he's a control freak who's incapable of change, and b.) the Jets are light-years behind the league in terms of nutrition/physiology/sports science/etc. because the Jets are always light-years behind the league on stuff like that.

A is more probable than B.  I think one, the competition in practice and the intensity that its held at is causing some guys to be a little over worked, and pull muscles. That would be the first place i look probably, "Is my practice intensity contributing to injuries?"

Now, in terms of sports nutrition and everything.  Technology wise the jets are right on par if not above other teams in equipment and the latest technology for sports training.  Nutrition, the jets are one of the top if not the top in the league in terms of food services and nutritional providence (have heard this from many players over the years). 

The one area i would look at is Justin Galac.  He has been the strength and conditioning coach for the jets now for 8 years.  Questions you need to ask here are "Are the jets as an organization known for having physically strong players" "do the jets consistently have athletes that would you would consider fast twitch" . "are the jets in a place where they have been consistently avoiding soft tissue injuries, knee injuries/structural lower leg injuries."   To most of these questions i would answer no.  I learned a long time ago from Jim Radcliffe (former strength and conditioning coach for 33 years with the university of oregon) that the importance of good sound training principals coupled with proper biomechanics greatly reduces the rate of catastrophic injury as well as almost completely negates soft tissue injuries. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

A is more probable than B.  I think one, the competition in practice and the intensity that its held at is causing some guys to be a little over worked, and pull muscles. That would be the first place i look probably, "Is my practice intensity contributing to injuries?"

Now, in terms of sports nutrition and everything.  Technology wise the jets are right on par if not above other teams in equipment and the latest technology for sports training.  Nutrition, the jets are one of the top if not the top in the league in terms of food services and nutritional providence (have heard this from many players over the years). 

The one area i would look at is Justin Galac.  He has been the strength and conditioning coach for the jets now for 8 years.  Questions you need to ask here are "Are the jets as an organization known for having physically strong players" "do the jets consistently have athletes that would you would consider fast twitch" . "are the jets in a place where they have been consistently avoiding soft tissue injuries, knee injuries/structural lower leg injuries."   To most of these questions i would answer no.  I learned a long time ago from Jim Radcliffe (former strength and conditioning coach for 33 years with the university of oregon) that the importance of good sound training principals coupled with proper biomechanics greatly reduces the rate of catastrophic injury as well as almost completely negates soft tissue injuries. 

Interesting point on the nutrition and S & C--do you have a link for that? I'd be very interested to hear how they manage stuff like that, especially compared to the rest of the league.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Interesting point on the nutrition and S & C--do you have a link for that? I'd be very interested to hear how they manage stuff like that, especially compared to the rest of the league.

The strength and conditioning id have to look, ive seen articles about it in the past on new advancing sciences and equipment they have been using, and I know from people i talk to that the johnsons spare no expense on equipment and technology for Florham Park. Say what you want about them as owners, they arent cheap. 

In fact i believe it was this year Galac went to johnsons to tell them about a new sports biometric analysis system that he wanted to buy that some other teams had been using and seeing great results with, and Johnson (who had just bought and redone the department a few years prior) scrapped all the old stuff and bought the new equipment immediately. 

Nutritional stuff i just know from people telling me that its basically unlike anywhere in the league... They have personal chefs at the facility day and night and they literally cater to any diet the players want if they have their own nutritionists, and then they employ dietitians and sports nutritionists of their own.   Snacks was quoted as saying one of the biggest changes for him when going from jets to giants was that the food situation was way worse, and that he didnt have a staff to help him with any of it.