Guards not cheap anymore. Brandon Brooks now highest paid at 4 yrs / $56.5M (Eagles)

jetstream23

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

No no. OG, OC and S do get paid. They’re useless and can be found begging for money at 7/11. 

If they are a Center like Mawae or Mangold... You pay them, regardless... They snap the ball they can set blocking assignments, they can be the leader of the OL... Important... Guard and Safety I basically agree.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peebag said:

This is the reason why the draft is so important.

Sure hope Joey Dollars understands this.

JD has to hit on his Oline picks. We can afford 1 expensive toy like Scherff. We're gonna need some veteran experience you can't have an all rookie Oline. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Any position on the OL is worth paying for if the player is good. The NFL is different now. An upright QB basically guarantees you 300 yards and 2TDs by career backups. It’s money well spent. QBs get time. DBs can’t contact WRs, eventually it leads to easy Pickens if you have halfway competent people.

Go pay for Scherff. Spend the 3rd for Leo on another guard, center or WR, and call it a day.

Maybe we should also stop waiting unt the 3rd round to invest in the Oline. 

Everything you said was absolutely spot on, which is why we need to seriously invest draft capital at the oline. Scherff is about to be paid and was taken 1 spot ahead of the guy we drafted right after him and eventually traded for a 3rd round pick. 

This offseason needs to be Oline and WR's as top priority, with Oline being by far the most important.

• Upvote 1

I know people may take this as affirmation that the Jets should/will pay big for inside linemen this offseason, but I think what it really means is that they might not be so quick to move on from Winters.  $7.5M for Winters has seemed high all along, but he is probably paid as a mid-pack at RG right now and there will probably be a bunch of guys leapfrogging him this offseason.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we should also stop waiting unt the 3rd round to invest in the Oline. 
Everything you said was absolutely spot on, which is why we need to seriously invest draft capital at the oline. Scherff is about to be paid and was taken 1 spot ahead of the guy we drafted right after him and eventually traded for a 3rd round pick. 
This offseason needs to be Oline and WR's as top priority, with Oline being by far the most important.

QB, OL, OL, OL, WR, CB that is all

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is a reaction to the up and coming Jets.
Teams are realizing that pass rush  no longer best stems from the edge, but from the DT position. Teams are now looking to protect that middle.
PS-The running game is making a comeback too.  Jets ahead of curve there too.
I remember when we had four DTs

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

I predict Edoga will be in the mix for RT 

Harrison for Center and General backup

Signing Scherff would be good.  

The Jets will likely have Thomas or Wirfs to draft.  The QBs and Chase get picked first. 

if they trade Adams they draft a Center with second first round pick.  Even if they don’t they find someone else and have Harrison 

2nd round pick is BPA Wr, CB, C (if not picked already)

2 third round picks.  

extend Robbie, Jenkins, Poole, Lewis.

Voila!  Much better team. 

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Every position group’s salaries are going up.  As long as the cap keeps increasing by the 10-12 million dollars per year, all salaries will rise.  This isn’t a revelation that OG’s are suddenly more valuable, it’s just one of the best players at his position is getting his market value.  

This

The best OG’s have been getting paid in the 8 figures for years now.

Scherff is the only FA that I would pay big bucks to. Tie him down then look for budget deals elsewhere leading up to the draft.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

The best OG’s have been getting paid in the 8 figures for years now.

Scherff is the only FA that I would pay big bucks to. Tie him down then look for budget deals elsewhere leading up to the draft.

True.  The best players at every position are getting paid.  We saw a safety and a middle linebacker get $80 million dollar deals.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

I predict Edoga will be in the mix for RT 

Harrison for Center and General backup

Signing Scherff would be good.  

The Jets will likely have Thomas or Wirfs to draft.  The QBs and Chase get picked first. 

if they trade Adams they draft a Center with second first round pick.  Even if they don’t they find someone else and have Harrison 

2nd round pick is BPA Wr, CB, C (if not picked already)

2 third round picks.  

extend Robbie, Jenkins, Poole, Lewis.

Voila!  Much better team. 

Tankathon's mock draft for jets based on current needs and position:

5. Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

36. Curtis Weaver, Edge Boise State

67. Nick Harris, C Washington

70. Trey Smith, OG,OT Tennesee

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Tankathon's mock draft for jets based on current needs and position:

5. Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

36. Curtis Weaver, Edge Boise State

67. Nick Harris, C Washington

70. Trey Smith, OG,OT Tennesee

Just looked at that mock.  In those scenarios I’m taking OT Jedrick Wills from Alabama at 36 instead of Weaver and taking Antonio Gandy-Golden at 70 instead of Smith.  

Juedy, Wills, Harris and AGG would be a nice start to the draft.  Especially if a guy like Scherff is signed in FA.   

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Just looked at that mock.  In those scenarios I’m taking OT Jedrick Wills from Alabama at 36 instead of Weaver and taking Antonio Gandy-Golden at 70 instead of Smith.  

Juedy, Wills, Harris and AGG would be a nice start to the draft.  Especially if a guy like Scherff is signed in FA.   

Everyone's is going to hate to hear this, but the Jets o-line is going to take time to mesh next year. 

A clampdown CB is going to be needed to buy time for this offense to totally gel.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Everyone's is going to hate to hear this, but the Jets o-line is going to take time to mesh next year. 

A clampdown CB is going to be needed to buy time for this offense to totally gel.

I don’t think you need lockdown type corners, just need a few NFL caliber CBs.  Sure one would be nice, but I would like to have 3 guys who are average to slightly above average.  Especially since our safeties are supposedly so good.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Any position on the OL is worth paying for if the player is good. The NFL is different now. An upright QB basically guarantees you 300 yards and 2TDs by career backups. It’s money well spent. QBs get time. DBs can’t contact WRs, eventually it leads to easy Pickens if you have halfway competent people.

Go pay for Scherff. Spend the 3rd for Leo on another guard, center or WR, and call it a day.

Yep, pay for two, draft two and keep one

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think you need lockdown type corners, just need a few NFL caliber CBs.  Sure one would be nice, but I would like to have 3 guys who are average to slightly above average.  Especially since our safeties are supposedly so good.  

I’d get pass rushers waaaay over CBS now w the rules

• Post of the Week 2

16 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I’d get pass rushers waaaay over CBS now w the rules

After seeing the effect that Minkah Fitzpatrick had on the Steelers defense, and how it has helped every other position, I am convinced of what an elite CB can do for a team.

It is rare that you get to see how an in-season personnel change has on a unit, but in the Steelers case, it has been dramatic.

Look at their numbers from before Fitzpatrick was there, to today. They are stark.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Unfortunately that'd only be a good start. We still need 2 starting tackles. Though it's not where he's best-suited, Scherff could play LT. 

Either way, if we do sign him, hopefully his career doesn't hit a wall earlier than later. He's going to be a 29 year-old FA. No it's not old, but Ferguson had already started showing signs of slowing down by age 30 and none of us expected that. I'm not saying stay away, but he's missed time in each of the past 3 seasons (significant time / IR in 2018), so we should go into that with our eyes open. (This is a team that went into opening day with Osemele and Winters starting, I'll grant you, and there is an expression about the beggars being choosy for good reason). 

Honestly I don't know what to do about the tackles. Hopefully the light starts to go on for Edoga, and he can shore up the right side next year (even if we move on from him shortly thereafter). Unfortunately he's shown no reason to believe that's going to happen other than pure fan hope & desire, and the knowledge that some guys just start clicking after a certain amount of experience. Winters is a good example; he was never anything great, but for a while was at least average. At the Edoga-stage of his career, though, he was arguably even worse than Edoga. Then I suppose the team could re-sign Beachum, if all other upgrade attempts fail, but holy meh. 

This is why with certain low-supply positions you get them when you can (especially in the draft), not get them when you need them. We may very well draft a long term solution left tackle in April. Unfortunately we can't go into the draft without a starter already signed just in case we don't land a good LT prospect when our pick comes up.

The NFL is about two things right now.

1. Guys who get to the QB.

2. Guys who keep guys from getting to the QB.

Kyle Allen, Gardner Minshew, Ryan Tannehill, etc. were all having success simply because they are being kept upright.  NFL rules have changed such that this is a pitch and catch league with yellow flags everywhere for breathing on WRs.  You just need a guy who can make some decent reads and get the ball in the vicinity of a good WR.  BUT....and here's the thing....a ball can't be caught unless it's thrown and a ball can't be thrown by a guy who is on his back because his team can't keep him from getting sacked.

OLine or Edge in Round 1....then again in Round 2 with the opposite....then again.

The entire NFL is about a race to the QB and whether an OLine can stop/delay it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Without committing PI a corner can stay with a WR for about 3-4 seconds. So, you need pass rushers that can destroy that OL and rush the ball out make corners relevant. 

Alternatively, a dominant OL will make the offense hum.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, sec101row23 said:

Every position group’s salaries are going up.  As long as the cap keeps increasing by the 10-12 million dollars per year, all salaries will rise.  This isn’t a revelation that OG’s are suddenly more valuable, it’s just one of the best players at his position is getting his market value.  

didn't mankins get some decent money a few years back/