Guards not cheap anymore. Brandon Brooks now highest paid at 4 yrs / $56.5M (Eagles)

jetstream23

On 11/11/2019 at 6:37 PM, New York Mick said:

No no. OG, OC and S do get paid. They’re useless and can be found begging for money at 7/11. 

Brandon Brooks was a 3rd round pick.  

Andrew Norwell, the highest paid LG in the league, was a UDFA. 

Other highly paid G's include Rodger Saffold (2nd rounder), Ali Marpet (late 2nd rounder), Zach Fulton (6th rounder), Joel Bitonio (2nd rounder), Trai Turner (3rd rounder) and Gabe Jackson (3rd rounder).  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Brandon Brooks was a 3rd round pick.  

Andrew Norwell, the highest paid LG in the league, was a UDFA. 

Other highly paid G's include Rodger Saffold (2nd rounder), Ali Marpet (late 2nd rounder), Zach Fulton (6th rounder), Joel Bitonio (2nd rounder), Trai Turner (3rd rounder) and Gabe Jackson (3rd rounder).  

Who would be dumb enough to waste a 2nd round pick on players that can be found on day 4. Even worse spending a first or even top 10 on one like they did with Martin, Nelson, Frederick, DeCastro, Scheriff, Zeitler, etc. What a bunch of idiots. 

On 11/12/2019 at 9:51 AM, Scott Dierking said:

After seeing the effect that Minkah Fitzpatrick had on the Steelers defense, and how it has helped every other position, I am convinced of what an elite CB can do for a team.

It is rare that you get to see how an in-season personnel change has on a unit, but in the Steelers case, it has been dramatic.

Look at their numbers from before Fitzpatrick was there, to today. They are stark.

The 2009 Jets defense was entirely based on Revis 

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2019 at 6:21 PM, jetstream23 said:

What on Earth will Quenton Nelson get?  $17M+ per year?

remember when the Jets had an opportunity to draft an obvious gold jacket player at 6 overall 

(And keep 3 second round picks)

Pepperidge Farm remembers 

when fans say "why didn't they draft line..".

well they could have they chose Sam instead 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Who would be dumb enough to waste a 2nd round pick on players that can be found on day 4. Even worse spending a first or even top 10 on one like they did with Martin, Nelson, Frederick, DeCastro, Scheriff, Zeitler, etc. What a bunch of idiots. 

You were advocating taking a non-LT at # 3 overall.  That's the part that was dumb.  

And before you bring up Nelson, that's a generational G right there.  Not the "norm" for what you get when taking one that early.  

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You were advocating taking a non-LT at # 3 overall.  That's the part that was dumb.  

And before you bring up Nelson, that's a generational G right there.  Not the "norm" for what you get when taking one that early.  

I wanted Zach Martin and got destroyed for it, I wanted Scheriff and got destroyed for it, I loved Nelson and got destroyed for it and a wanted J Williams and got destroyed for it. If they drafted who I wanted the oline and team would be a lot better. 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

remember when the Jets had an opportunity to draft an obvious gold jacket player at 6 overall 

Safeties and OGs with Top 6 picks.  This place would love that.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:01 AM, bitonti said:

So? 

Sam + a-rebuilt OL >>>>>> Nelson and Bryce Petty

On 11/12/2019 at 4:47 AM, #27TheDominator said:

I know people may take this as affirmation that the Jets should/will pay big for inside linemen this offseason, but I think what it really means is that they might not be so quick to move on from Winters.  $7.5M for Winters has seemed high all along, but he is probably paid as a mid-pack at RG right now and there will probably be a bunch of guys leapfrogging him this offseason.

He's always hurt and even when healthy he is not very good. So what is the point of paying him 7.5 mil. he should not be a starter. He was a bad investment and needs to be cut. The Jets should try to bring back Compton and Lewis and if they are too expensive some other cheaper vet while drafting a young OG to bring in as a future starter. You can find a good Guard in the 3rd or 4th round. In fact, Winters WAS supposed to be one of those 3rd round OGs but he did not pan out and injuries took their toll. Its time to cut bait.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:04 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Everyone's is going to hate to hear this, but the Jets o-line is going to take time to mesh next year. 

A clampdown CB is going to be needed to buy time for this offense to totally gel.

I agree 100%. Just like a dominant OT in his prime its hard to get a dominant CB in his prime without overpaying either via trade or in FA. The Jets need to hit on a CB with potential to be a #1. This is a pretty deep draft at the CB position. This is why depending on what happens with a trade down scenario in Rd. 1 and whether or not the Jets sign Scherff and draft A.Thomas, etc., CB is the #2 priority IMO behind O-line. WR is third as far as the draft, simply because of all the WR talent in the draft, you can get a good one in Rd. 4 or 5, its a big reason why I am not in support of drafting Jeudy if the Jets end up drafting outside the top 5. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sad footnote to this story:

Eagles RG Brandon Brooks exited Sunday's Week 12 loss to the Seahawks due to anxiety issues.

Though the Eagles listed him with an illness upon exiting in the first quarter, Brooks later confirmed on Twitter that his departure was related to a recurrence of his past anxiety issues. "I've had this under control for a couple of years and had a setback yesterday," said Brooks, who has been open about his past panic attacks. His symptoms included vomiting and exhaustion.

Somewhat related to this, Carson Wentz has been awful through the majority of this season. He has regressed.Been totally inaccurate,  has 7 turnovers the last 2 weeks and looks puzzled. If this was a Jet qb, with the hype Carson got early on, with a recently signed huge deal, this site would be in an uproar. And rightly so.