Jordan Jenkins; Other thoughts

32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Really shouldn’t make this a thread but I’m going to anyway.

Jordan Jenkins now has more sacks in his career (17.5) than Leonard Williams (17). Really glad JD was able to cash in on quality picks in the 3rd/5th for him.

Now to add some longevity to this post. Is Jenkins worth resigning at the right price? He’s pretty solid in all actuality and he’s a good locker room guy. Jenkins can stop the run well and serves as a surprisingly decent pass rush option.  I like extending home grown talent.

Also just a random thought to toss out on the trade,, I’d really like to see us take a few WR’s from this draft. I would not be mad if they double dipped early...that will also depend on FA strategy, ect but early on in the process, I wouldn’t mind this idea at all.

imagine giving Sam guys like Jerry Jeudy(Bama) and Justin Jefferson(LSU). or CeeDee Lamb (OU) and Henry Ruggs III (Bama). It’s now or never and these picks are going to go a long way. I would of opened a fire sale after losing to Miami but what do I know? 

I do know that we need this draft to be a major success and have an immediate impact.

I sign Amari Cooper if Dallas can't & draft CeeDee Lamb..BOOM! Cooper-Lamb- Crowder- Herndon- Bell?

Id also look at a RB in the 3rd that might slip but has a great resume. Kareem Hunt was a 3rd rounder. You find a young stud to give Bell some breathers with those WRs & that 8/9 in the box sh*t stops NOW!

• Upvote 2

With the amount of roster spots to fill I hope Douglas brings back guys like Jenkins, Anderson, Hewitt and Poole. I’d even take Beachum if the price was right. We’re not going to be able to bring in high draft picks and quality FA signings at all the positions in one off season.

• Upvote 3

I want Jenkins back.  Is he great or elite....no.  But, Jordan Jenkins as the #2 outside pass rusher could be a difference maker opposite a real talent if the Jets make a power move in Free Agency or land a guy like Chase Young in the Draft (longshot!).

On a team in dire need of adding an outside pass rusher I don't think we can afford to subtract one.  I'd really try to find a way to keep this guy....but I think he'll be more expensive to the Jets than we think.  His value has been going up.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Id also look at a RB in the 3rd that might slip but has a great resume. Kareem Hunt was a 3rd rounder. You find a young stud to give Bell some breathers with those WRs & that 8/9 in the box sh*t stops NOW!

RB#2 is also something we should look at. Plenty of good options out there in the later rounds each and every year. I might would use the 5th on a RB though. We also have to fit OL in there. Try to have a balanced draft of WR, OL and CB.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Question is, do you want to pay him the roughly $13-15 million a year it will likely cost to re-sign him?

That’s what guys like Preston and Za’Darius Smith got from Green Bay.

Would imagine Jenkins wants something in the same ballpark.

I say bite the bullet and keep him. It might take longer than one offseason to see a difference in roster quality and keeping anyone who is solid means a lot right now. Once we establish something, letting guys go as the Ravens and Patriots do, will be easier to get on board with. I don’t suggest the Jets let him take them for ransom but being stubborn when it’s time to negotiate isn’t smart either.

• Upvote 2

jenkins is a good player but it depends on him being ale to fit into whatever defensive scheme williams is planning.  remember he said he wanted to go with a 4-3.  we all know teams play variations of everything but i don't think they're going to offer/pay jenkins much if he's a one or two down player.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I want Jenkins back.  Is he great or elite....no.  But, Jordan Jenkins as the #2 outside pass rusher could be a difference maker opposite a real talent if the Jets make a power move in Free Agency or land a guy like Chase Young in the Draft (longshot!).

On a team in dire need of adding an outside pass rusher I don't think we can afford to subtract one.  I'd really try to find a way to keep this guy....but I think he'll be more expensive to the Jets than we think.  His value has been going up.

Need to keep him, I agree. He produces. Compare his situation to what it would have caused to keep Leonard Williams, who is a massive Jag. You shouldn't mind paying players who do the job week in and week out.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jenkins seems like the kind of guy that will explode if he signs with another team or if we managed to find an elite edge rusher on the other side of the field for him. 

Sacks by year:

2016 2.5

2017 3

2018 7

2019 5 in just 7 games. 

That's with zero CBs so it's not like they are coverage sacks. 

I stated in another thread, he is Dee Ford to Justin Houston if we get an elite edge guy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jenkins seems like the kind of guy that will explode if he signs with another team or if we managed to find an elite edge rusher on the other side of the field for him. 

Sacks by year:

2016 2.5

2017 3

2018 7

2019 5 in just 7 games. 

That's with zero CBs so it's not like they are coverage sacks. 

Jenkins has improved his pass rushing moves each season. He’s done a good job of wanting to get better and applying the work necessary to be better. Total opposite of Darron Lee or Leonard Williams. One of the few good ones from the Macc era.

• Upvote 1

Jordan Jenkins is our new version of Calvin Pace. He's going to be here and a steady contributor for a long time. He's not a superstar, but he's the type of solid, steady players that you keep around. He will be very effective if we can get a real pass rush going from the other end.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I say bite the bullet and keep him. It might take longer than one offseason to see a difference in roster quality and keeping anyone who is solid means a lot right now. Once we establish something, letting guys go as the Ravens and Patriots do, will be easier to get on board with. I don’t suggest the Jets let him take them for ransom but being stubborn when it’s time to negotiate isn’t smart either.

I’d probably lean towards re-signing him as well.

Just saying, it’s going to be a sh*tload of money that probably blows many fans away.

You aren’t keeping him for $8 million a year or something. It’s going to be nearly double that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

RB#2 is also something we should look at. Plenty of good options out there in the later rounds each and every year. I might would use the 5th on a RB though. We also have to fit OL in there. Try to have a balanced draft of WR, OL and CB.

Who do you take if you have Andrews & Chase Young staring you in the face?

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I’d probably lean towards re-signing him as well.

Just saying, it’s going to be a sh*tload of money that probably blows many fans away.

You aren’t keeping him for $8 million a year or something. It’s going to be nearly double that.

Oh, definitely. I think when we re-sign him, fans will probably have a heart attack when they see the “per year” number. I didn’t agree with the Enunwa money but I won’t be heart broken over this one. Jenkins is on the field a lot more.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s developed into a really solid player.

Question is, do you want to pay him the roughly $13-15 million a year it will likely cost to re-sign him?

That’s what guys like Preston and Za’Darius Smith got from Green Bay.

Would imagine Jenkins wants something in the same ballpark.

Then he can kindly **** right off

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Who do you take if you have Andrews & Chase Young staring you in the face?

Andrews. 

1.) because my opinion is biased. I’m a UGA fan.

2.) I think the dire need for blindside protection outweighs the dire need for an elite pass rusher because of who it directly affects the performance of. (Sam Darnold)

• Upvote 1

I've long been one of Jenkins' biggest supporters here, as I never felt he got the proper credit, at least until more recently.  He was easily far and away Maccaganan's best draft pick.  Granted, he's not one of those truly elite rushers who can take over a game that you really want, but he's solid all around and can contribute in all aspects.  If you can ever actually get a true rusher lined up on one side of the formation, then he's exactly what you're looking for across from that.  He can fill in that Calvin Pace role for the Jets long term (not that anyone was ever a better rusher than Pace during his days, but you get my point).

The Jets have a ton of upgrades to make, and they are impossible to do all in one offseason.  So at least some guys need to be kept around, and in terms of pending FAs, he would be #1 on my list in terms of priorities to bring back, as most of the other guys I think they should target with new contracts should be far easier/cheaper to get back (e.g., Lewis, Griffin, Edwards, Poole).  Jenkins and Anderson are the only ones who will likely have a price tag coming along with them, so should be the first targets as long as Douglas sees a future in these guys.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Like I said, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I’m on the fence about keeping him, but if we were to chase someone like, say, Yannick Ngakoue to replace him, it would probably cost even more.

Even solid edgerushers are going to cost you an arm and a leg these days.

And if we let Jenkins walk and don’t draft another EDGE until the 3rd or 4th round, odds are our ability to pressure opposing QB’s is going to be even worse than it has been.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I’m on the fence about keeping him, but if we were to chase someone like, say, Yannick Ngakoue to replace him, it would probably cost even more.

Even solid edgerushers are going to cost you an arm and a leg these days.

And if we let Jenkins walk and don’t draft another EDGE until the 3rd or 4th round, odds are our ability to pressure opposing QB’s is going to be even worse than it has been.

If Douglas is the guy everyone thinks he is, he should be able to find a guy who can put up 5 sacks a year without spending $13 million per to do it.

• Upvote 2

He's literally one of like 4 players that dont necessarily need to be upgraded.  Jenkins can play and it would be really cool to see another threat across the line from him...might make him even more effective. 

You have to field a team next year and Jenkins is far from a problem.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

If Douglas is the guy everyone thinks he is, he should be able to find a guy who can put up 5 sacks a year without spending $13 million per to do it.

+1

I am a big Jenkins fan.  He has been a solid contributor from day 1.  Never complains.  Doesn't miss time.  I don't see him as some pass rush demon, but he is adequate.  He is the kind of guy I would have been looking to extend all along.  Still, $13M is not chump change and I can't imagine that I'd want him back at that amount in any sport with a salary cap.  He is a guy that I wouldn't mind giving a sizable guarantee to, because he seems like he will always give an honest effort. 

Bottom line, I want him back, but you have to be prudent about these signings. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Really shouldn’t make this a thread but I’m going to anyway.

Jordan Jenkins now has more sacks in his career (17.5) than Leonard Williams (17). Really glad JD was able to cash in on quality picks in the 3rd/5th for him.

Now to add some longevity to this post. Is Jenkins worth resigning at the right price? He’s pretty solid in all actuality and he’s a good locker room guy. Jenkins can stop the run well and serves as a surprisingly decent pass rush option.  I like extending home grown talent.

Also just a random thought to toss out on the trade,, I’d really like to see us take a few WR’s from this draft. I would not be mad if they double dipped early...that will also depend on FA strategy, ect but early on in the process, I wouldn’t mind this idea at all.

imagine giving Sam guys like Jerry Jeudy(Bama) and Justin Jefferson(LSU). or CeeDee Lamb (OU) and Henry Ruggs III (Bama). It’s now or never and these picks are going to go a long way. I would of opened a fire sale after losing to Miami but what do I know? 

I do know that we need this draft to be a major success and have an immediate impact.

Thanks for the inspiration!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Guys like Jenkins, Anderson, etc. SHOULD get contracts. They weathered the crap years and they should be here to build a contender. 

Given the fact that we need to replace a staggering amount of starters in the offseason, stopping any solid starters from leaving is a good step in the right direction. 

Very Mo Lewis esque. He weathered the crap years to play for Parcels Jet contenders.

• Upvote 2