Jordan Jenkins; Other thoughts

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Guys who the F is going to give Jordan Jenkins $13 million per? They could probably extend him today for $8 mil per for four, I’d think, and they should. 

Because of guys like Preston Smith and Za’Darius Smith.

Neither was an elite edgerusher going into last offseason. But the Packers paid through the nose for both of them.

Jenkins is basically the same kind of player. Hell, you could argue that he’s a better run defender and edge setter than either one of them.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Guys who the F is going to give Jordan Jenkins $13 million per? They could probably extend him today for $8 mil per for four, I’d think, and they should. 

Yeah no way is he getting 13. Would hope they could lock him up for less than 8 per.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s actually a sound idea. They should give him an offer right before the offseason kicks into place like they did enunwa last season.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Because of guys like Preston Smith and Za’Darius Smith.

Neither was an elite edgerusher going into last offseason. But the Packers paid through the nose for both of them.

Jenkins is basically the same kind of player. Hell, you could argue that he’s a better run defender and edge setter than either one of them.

I think it’s different because both Smiths profiled as big edge rushers, at least athletically, coming out of college and Green Bay’s GM is a huge analytics guy. Iirc, Jenkins didn’t test anywhere near those guys. Thoughts, @#27TheDominator?

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Really shouldn’t make this a thread but I’m going to anyway.

Jordan Jenkins now has more sacks in his career (17.5) than Leonard Williams (17). Really glad JD was able to cash in on quality picks in the 3rd/5th for him.

Now to add some longevity to this post. Is Jenkins worth resigning at the right price? He’s pretty solid in all actuality and he’s a good locker room guy. Jenkins can stop the run well and serves as a surprisingly decent pass rush option.  I like extending home grown talent.

Also just a random thought to toss out on the trade,, I’d really like to see us take a few WR’s from this draft. I would not be mad if they double dipped early...that will also depend on FA strategy, ect but early on in the process, I wouldn’t mind this idea at all.

imagine giving Sam guys like Jerry Jeudy(Bama) and Justin Jefferson(LSU). or CeeDee Lamb (OU) and Henry Ruggs III (Bama). It’s now or never and these picks are going to go a long way. I would of opened a fire sale after losing to Miami but what do I know? 

I do know that we need this draft to be a major success and have an immediate impact.

I'd say resign Jenkins and Poole since they have both been very good at their respective positions and are up for FA. My thoughts on the extra draft pick starting this year is from rounds 1-4 we have 5 picks and even if we win some and drop our pick, the 3rd rounder we get in 2020 from the Giants hopefully will be like a late 2nd rounder since their remaining games are @Chi, vs. GB, @Phi, vs. Miami, @Wash, and vs. Phi. They likely will lose most of those games. Now, with those 1st 5 picks in rounds 1-4 I think we need LT, C, and G even with FA signings. The other 2-3 picks down to round 5 including the 5th rounder should be WR, CB, Edge. I just say this strategy would help us the best since without the Oline we are not going to get the O off the ground consistently. Like I used to love when Madden said it and he was mainly referring to Oline, the big guys have to play well i.e make plays and then the little guys can make plays. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s different because both Smiths profiled as big edge rushers, at least athletically, coming out of college and Green Bay’s GM is a huge analytics guy. Iirc, Jenkins didn’t test anywhere near those guys. Thoughts, @#27TheDominator?

Ha.  Thanks for the shout out (call to arms?).  Funny, but I think I picked Z'adarius and Preston in the mock draft that year.  My initial thought was that Jenkins was a slug.  It appears that Maccagnan probably picked him based on arm length (96%), and his hand size is an insane 11.25".  His wingspan over 83" would make the Seahawks drool.  Per Pepper Johnson, Maccagnan and/or Bowles staff were obsessed with arm length.  Jenkins 40 was a poor 4.8 which scared the sh*t out of me.  They presumably drafted him as a super high floor guy to replace Pace who was retiring, with Coples and Mauldin sucking.

Looking at it more closely though, Jenkins isn't so bad analytically.  His -cone was horrific, and his shuttle pedestrian, but his jumps were pretty damn good.  Even with the sh*t 40 he ended up with a mid pack speed score and a 75% burst score.  His bench wasn't so hot,but long arms = worse bench.  He weighed about 260 at the combine and under 6'3" he might have seemed small for 3-4 OLB, but with that length he obviously could fill out and has been fine.  The 3sigma guys listed him at off-LOS LB and he ranked 14th., ahead of Ragland, Ngakoue and others and not far behind Deon Jones.  Of course, Darron Lee was on the top of that group.   

Preston certainly profiled as a better rusher.  Z'adarius more DE.  His cone was even worse than Jenkins.  Yikes.  They both were a solid 10-15 lbs heavier at the combine.  Funny, until I looked, I thought I picked Z'adarius on his speed/agility numbers, but now his 3 cone would have put him close to Polite territory for me.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He’s developed into a really solid player.

Question is, do you want to pay him the roughly $13-15 million a year it will likely cost to re-sign him?

That’s what guys like Preston and Za’Darius Smith got from Green Bay.

Would imagine Jenkins wants something in the same ballpark.

realistically you think of them as better players but the career numbers look eerily similar.  

Preston has set a career high in sacks this year with 10 already, but had 5 last year and 8 the year before that

Zadarius had 8.5 last year and 3.5 the year before that 

Jordan jenkins had 7 last year and already 5 this year.  Not out of the realm of possibility that he reaches double digits sacks for the first time in his career.

Now i dont think he offers the consistent pressure that the other players offer, but he is extremely solid and puts up pretty good numbers.  Id definitely think he's worth resigning and keeping on defense as he provides really good edge support and i think can be an 8-10 sack a year guy consistently. What his number looks like contract wise, im not quite sure.. I think if you could get him in the 11-14 mil range it would be alright, 14 being a little high for my taste and 12.5 being realistic

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah no way is he getting 13. Would hope they could lock him up for less than 8 per.

that would be a steal, based on career numbers he's not far off those two guys, i think the best we could hope for 9.5-10ish? really depends how he finishes the year out, if he gets 10 sacks then he's trending up as a player according to stats and finishes with a career high id doubt we'd get him under 8. 

• Upvote 2

I sign Amari Cooper if Dallas can't & draft CeeDee Lamb..BOOM! Cooper-Lamb- Crowder- Herndon- Bell?
Id also look at a RB in the 3rd that might slip but has a great resume. Kareem Hunt was a 3rd rounder. You find a young stud to give Bell some breathers with those WRs & that 8/9 in the box sh*t stops NOW!
So you spend big money on a wr then draft a wr in the first round and we go through another season where darnold has no time to throw to a wr. I understand you want to see more weapons but they won't make a difference until we get an offensive line we would just be setting them up to be busts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

that would be a steal, based on career numbers he's not far off those two guys, i think the best we could hope for 9.5-10ish? really depends how he finishes the year out, if he gets 10 sacks then he's trending up as a player according to stats and finishes with a career high id doubt we'd get him under 8. 

Mac could have extended him last year for 3 x 8 or so.  I would rather pay Jenkins more money next year and not pay Avery plus C.J.

But paying lot of money to Jenkins when you need it for the offense and when he is coming off of an up year seems like something the Jets ultimately regret from a performance perspective, 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. The guy seems to be good and setting an edge, run stuffing,  but isn't much of a pass rusher and isn't great in coverage. Unless he's willing to give the Jets a loyalty discount, no way is he worth top dollar.

We'll see.

What is he like Macc's last draft pick still on the team?

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jordan Jenkins now has more sacks in his career (17.5) than Leonard Williams (17). Really glad JD was able to cash in on quality picks in the 3rd/5th for him.

Now to add some longevity to this post. Is Jenkins worth resigning at the right price? He’s pretty solid in all actuality and he’s a good locker room guy. Jenkins can stop the run well and serves as a surprisingly decent pass rush option.  I like extending home grown talent.

Also just a random thought to toss out on the trade,, I’d really like to see us take a few WR’s from this draft. I would not be mad if they double dipped early...that will also depend on FA strategy, ect but early on in the process, I wouldn’t mind this idea at all.

imagine giving Sam guys like Jerry Jeudy(Bama) and Justin Jefferson(LSU). or CeeDee Lamb (OU) and Henry Ruggs III (Bama). It’s now or never and these picks are going to go a long way. I would of opened a fire sale after losing to Miami but what do I know? 

I do know that we need this draft to be a major success and have an immediate impact.

You could get us Megatron and Moss in their primes but this team will keep losing if we keep waiting till the fifth round before we taking OLinemen.

• Upvote 1

He’s pricing himself up to at least $10 million a year. If he keeps the pace he’s on someone will overpay him. If we can extend him now, it’s the right time to do it. That being said with around $80 million in cap after cutting dead weight how much is available to improve and how much should be used to retain our talent?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Justin Jefferson's father is Jets WR coach Shawn Jefferson

Definitely resign J. Jenkins - solid player

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

You could get us Megatron and Moss in their primes but this team will keep losing if we keep waiting till the fifth round before we taking OLinemen.

You can still take a Tackle in the first round if you want and still use a 2nd and/or one of the two 3rd round picks on WR. or you can even use the 2nd round pick on OL again and spend the two 3rd’s on WR. There is flexibility here. We can realistically upgrade both with immediate impact players.

57 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Justin Jefferson's father is Jets WR coach Shawn Jefferson

Definitely resign J. Jenkins - solid player

Justin Jefferson is one of my favorite WR’s coming out. He has very good body control and solid hands.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If he stays healthy, I think his number is north of $8 mil.   Someone will over pay as there is always 1 team.    Would you go $40 mil for 4 years with $30 mil guaranteed? 

We will probably have the cap space. I'd rather spend it on Jenkins - a proven commodity - than on an inflated FA contract. JD will be shedding the failures signed by McF-up. It's not my money - just draft good players (who are cheaper), keep the less expensive youngins when all other things are equal, and sign proven ones to fill what you can't draft. The price is irrelevant until it becomes relevant.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

As great as that would be, I find it highly doubtful he signs anywhere for that low.  The most popular Jets' comparison for Jenkins is Pace, who got himself $7M/year from the Jets nearly 12 years ago.  If you just mark it up for inflation (the salary cap has increased by over 60% since then), that's going to push a comparable contract well above $8M.

Sorting out a contract now, as opposed to waiting until the offseason, might help them get him at a lower number, but I wouldn't bet on it being quite that low.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

So you spend big money on a wr then draft a wr in the first round and we go through another season where darnold has no time to throw to a wr. I understand you want to see more weapons but they won't make a difference until we get an offensive line we would just be setting them up to be busts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Everyone thinks these WRs all will go 1st round & it never happens. Picking High in the 2nd, yes I'm looking for a WR that drops. Your right, CeeDee probably won't drop but another good WR will. This is another WR heavy draft & we need a young guy. It's time to start arming Darnold with some studs. Especially if Thomas lands in our lap at #1 . 

We should resign him. He’s a strong run defender and a good pass rusher.

He’s getting more than $8 per I think. He had 7 sacks last year. He has 5 sacks in just 7 games played this years. So there a good chance he gets 8-10 sacks this year.  So that’ll be two years with sack totals between 7-10 with strong run defense. 

My guess would be $12-14 per year based on his production and comparing him to FA from last year. 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not answering for the dominator but just wanted to throw out the combine stats (not pro day) to add to the convo. 

Jenkins: 4.80 40, 36.5 vertical, 121 broad

Z Smith: 4.83 40, 29.0 vertical, 113 broad

P Smith: 4.74 40, 34.0 vertical, 121 broad

Jenkins didn’t run the 3 cone at the combine. Those are pretty comparable.  

• Upvote 1

I sign Amari Cooper if Dallas can't & draft CeeDee Lamb..BOOM! Cooper-Lamb- Crowder- Herndon- Bell?
Id also look at a RB in the 3rd that might slip but has a great resume. Kareem Hunt was a 3rd rounder. You find a young stud to give Bell some breathers with those WRs & that 8/9 in the box sh*t stops NOW!
And they will all suck with this OL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

And they will all suck with this OL.

You don't have to pick Olineman in the 1st round? But you have to at least draft them unlike Macc. 

How many 1st round Olineman have the Patriots picked? Wynn last year & he missed the whole season & they won the Super Bowl.

20 hours ago, shuler82 said:

With the amount of roster spots to fill I hope Douglas brings back guys like Jenkins, Anderson, Hewitt and Poole. I’d even take Beachum if the price was right. We’re not going to be able to bring in high draft picks and quality FA signings at all the positions in one off season.

You absolutely have to bring Beachum back.  Price will be fair, and as we’ve seen, value is huge.  I also draft his replacement, but you can’t go into the season with Edoga, who probably isn’t worth a roster spot, as your top guy.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Redskins.  The Giants. Bengals maybe?  3-4 bad teams  

What kind of defense does Douglas want to play?  It looked like last week the Jets played mostly 3 DL and 4 Lbs. There were other weeks where the Jets played 4 DL 

if they want to play 4LBs signing Jenkins can make sense for reasonable money.  Extend him now so he gets a raise this year and spread it out.  If they want to play 4-3 then I think Mosley is your money LB.  Need longer guys in the Edge with their hands down. 

The Redskins.  The Giants. Bengals maybe?  3-4 bad teams  
What kind of defense does Douglas want to play?  It looked like last week the Jets played mostly 3 DL and 4 Lbs. There were other weeks where the Jets played 4 DL 
if they want to play 4LBs signing Jenkins can make sense for reasonable money.  Extend him now so he gets a raise this year and spread it out.  If they want to play 4-3 then I think Mosley is your money LB.  Need longer guys in the Edge with their hands down. 
This. People forget. ... Not only are we missing Mosely ... We are also missing Williamson ... And Cashman !!

Of course you bring back Jenkins. He's exactly the type of player you want all over your roster. It would be nice to have an all pro at every position but the team plays in the real world not on a message board filled with unrealistic ranting. Guy plays hard and brings some good skill along with the effort. Plus wont cost a ton.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

You absolutely have to bring Beachum back.  Price will be fair, and as we’ve seen, value is huge.  I also draft his replacement, but you can’t go into the season with Edoga, who probably isn’t worth a roster spot, as your top guy.

Agreed.  While not great, he's always been very underrated around here, and is still better than anything you'll find available at LT in FA 99% of the time.  The goal is definitely for him to be replaced, but in the meantime there needs to be some insurance.

• Upvote 1