2020 Free Agent Olineman

SR24

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Castonzo is going nowhere 

The guy is arguably a Top 5 LT in the league, is in his prime, and the Colts have oodles of cap space.

Scherff is the guy who could very well hit the market and you throw the bank at him.

Couldnt have said it better myself

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Use all cap room on Castonzo and Scherff 

Not sure if the Colts will let Castonzo go.  Especially since they give such attention to the o-line.  Quenton Nelson, etc...

I gonna get flamed for saying this, but Beachum is not half bad if he has a decent guard next to him.  It has been the interior of the line that is causing most of the problems.  

Remember how much Better Brick started looking when Faneca showed up ???

If you put a decent guard and center on that line, Beachum would be a guy you could go with *IF* you whiff in FA and there is no top notch LT available in the draft.  

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not sure if the Colts will let Castonzo go.  Especially since they give such attention to the o-line.  Quenton Nelson, etc...

I gonna get flamed for saying this, but Beachum is not half bad if he has a decent guard next to him.  It has been the interior of the line that is causing most of the problems.  

If you put a decent guard and center on that line, Beachum would be a guy you could go with *IF* you whiff in FA and there is no top notch LT available in the draft.  

The colts have to pay Nelson soon plus no way is Brissett their qb next year they will use $$ to get a qb either trade for Eli or Cam Newton 

They also need a receiver

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If we can’t land Andrew Thomas in the draft, then my preferred route might honestly be re-signing Beachum to a 1-2 year deal and taking either Jeudy or Lamb in Round 1.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If a guy is a top quality olineman he never makes it to fa.  If the VERY rare one makes it there every team and his dog is after him and they chose winning teams to go to.

You do not fix the oline via fa, you fix it in the draft.

Most of the guys in oline who make it to fa are fools gold

Like Mawae and Woody?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If a guy is a top quality olineman he never makes it to fa.  If the VERY rare one makes it there every team and his dog is after him and they chose winning teams to go to.

Except the dysfunctional Redskins who will likely lose Schreff to FA and maybe have to trade Trent Williams

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Andrew Whitworth helped turn the Rams offense around. 

While I agree that you generally want to build through the draft, we don't have 5 years to fix this oline. We need to attack the oline via BOTH the Draft and free agency. 

• Upvote 2

Scherff was getting abused badly in a game i watched a week or so ago.  We will have to watch  him closely in this upcoming game.  Guys that were big targets in recent years like norwall and paradis got big deals and have done poorly from reports.

Fa oline is very risky.

What we need is acquire another high pick or two so we can go heavy into the oline and still be able to take a weapon wr or olb pass rusher.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Andrew Whitworth helped turn the Rams offense around. 

While I agree that you generally want to build through the draft, we don't have 5 years to fix this oline. We need to attack the oline via BOTH the Draft and free agency. 

Finding good FA OL that free up from their existing teams is an art, not a science.  

You have to find someone with the character and motivation to keep grinding.  Like a Kevin Mawae or Alan Faneca.  

Beachum has been decent and decent value.   No complaints for him.  Even James Carpenter had a few good years.

30 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If we can’t land Andrew Thomas in the draft, then my preferred route might honestly be re-signing Beachum to a 1-2 year deal and taking either Jeudy or Lamb in Round 1.

Agree fully.  If not Thomas make it Jeudy.   In the very unlikely event that both Thomas and Chase Young are available, I'd say take Young and give Beachum a short contract.  Use rounds 5 and after to pick-up a guard or two.  I think it would be a better overall  team value to take Young over Thomas given that Beachum can do a fair job until a franchise LT becomes available.

Just want to add.  All of this is moot unless the Johnsons relinquish the team to Douglas... 

46 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Myles Garrett might disagree with you on this...

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No offense but this couldnt be further from the truth.   We've seen numerous top rated OL in the past few years.  Just this year was a huge shuffle of OL around the league; Paradis, Brown, Saffold, Morse, Veldheer, James, Turner, Easton, Brown, Kline.  And there were a few trades.  If you keep going back you see names like Norwell, Solder, Richburg, Sitton, Pouncy, Whitworth, Lang, Warford, etc. and if I keep going, there are even more names. 

I'd argue, of any position, top OL talent hits the market more than any other position. 

Just now, JiF said:

No offense but this couldnt be further from the truth.   We've seen numerous top rated OL in the past few years.  Just this year was a huge shuffle of OL around the league; Paradis, Brown, Saffold, Morse, Veldheer, James, Turner, Easton, Brown, Kline.  And there were a few trades.  If you keep going back you see names like Norwell, Solder, Richburg, Sitton, Pouncy, etc. and if I keep going, there are even more names. 

I'd argue, of any position, top OL talent hits the market more than any other position. 

A LOT of the guys you just named have been major disappointments.

Solder has been terrible, norwell has been bad, paradis has been injured, james has been bad.

You and Mac are of the same thought process.  "This guy was once good so we can pay him the moon when the team he is with is letting him go."

I'll stand by my comment.  You do not fix and oline via fa.  You fix it through the draft.  Once you have built a good oline via the draft you can add a final piece here or there.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

No offense but this couldnt be further from the truth.   We've seen numerous top rated OL in the past few years.  Just this year was a huge shuffle of OL around the league; Paradis, Brown, Saffold, Morse, Veldheer, James, Turner, Easton, Brown, Kline.  And there were a few trades.  If you keep going back you see names like Norwell, Solder, Richburg, Sitton, Pouncy, Whitworth, Lang, Warford, etc. and if I keep going, there are even more names. 

I would say they arent top tier necessarily.   Most of those guys were aging or coming off injury.  Not long term solutions.

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Myles Garrett might disagree with you on this...

Good point.  Though, there are always gonna be the leading edge rushers that are on a heater.  The good news is, you can see an explosive guy like MG coming long before kickoff.  Is your OC taking account of this and planning accordingly ??? You can do a bunch of things to get by in a game against a hot edge rusher even if your tackle isn't Anthony Munoz.  Question is, does Gase have the brain power or is he too busy jamming square pegs into round holes ???

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A LOT of the guys you just named have been major disappointments.

Solder has been terrible, norwell has been bad, paradis has been injured, james has been bad.

You and Mac are of the same thought process.  "This guy was once good so we can pay him the moon when the team he is with is letting him go."

I'll stand by my comment.  You do not fix and oline via fa.  You fix it through the draft.  Once you have built a good oline via the draft you can add a final piece here or there.

And plenty have been good!  And those guys were considered "top tier" at the time.   What they did after isnt really the issue.  You said they never hit the market and that's simply not true. 

Dont ever compare my thought process to Mac.  How dare you.  That is the biggest insult anyone has ever said to me.  EVER.  I'm very upset with you right now, kind of ****ed up, man. 

Besides, I didnt say we should build an OL through FA.  I was just commenting on an inaccurate take.  I didnt offer my opinion on how to build the OL but I've been on record, every single draft pick and dollar should be spent on offense.  Field UDFA's on D for all I care.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

And plenty have been good!  And those guys were considered "top tier" at the time.   What they did after isnt really the issue.  You said they never hit the market and that's simply not true. 

Dont ever compare my thought process to Mac.  How dare you.  That is the biggest insult anyone has ever said to me.  EVER.  I'm very upset with you right now, kind of ****ed up, man. 

Besides, I didnt say we should build an OL through FA.  I was just commenting on an inaccurate take.  I didnt offer my opinion on how to build the OL but I've been on record, every single draft pick and dollar should be spent on offense.  Field UDFA's on D for all I care.

JiFcagnnan. ?

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I would say they arent top tier necessarily.   Most of those guys were aging or coming off injury.  Not long term solutions.

Again, not really accurate.  Plenty of them were top tier and long term solutions.  But I digress.  I'm not advocating building through FA.  I'm simply disagreeing with a comment and sharing why/how it's an inaccurate statement. 

They hit the market, every year, more so than any other position.  You just have to choose wisely how you spend your money.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Scherff was getting abused badly in a game i watched a week or so ago.  We will have to watch  him closely in this upcoming game.  Guys that were big targets in recent years like norwall and paradis got big deals and have done poorly from reports.

Fa oline is very risky.

What we need is acquire another high pick or two so we can go heavy into the oline and still be able to take a weapon wr or olb pass rusher.

Trent Brown has battle numerous injuries this year, but when he’s in there he one of the best Rt’s in the game.  ( thanks to trade of Osemele - they were able to target him day one in Fa .The Raiders need a healthy Trent Brown down the stretch .   They were beating the chiefs 10-0 when he went out with an injury .    Richie Incognito - another Fa o lineman been a big addition to their offense line.   C Rodney Hudson was also a Fa addition a couple years earlier .

You have to do both build through the draft Lt K Miller( 1st round pick)  , Rg Gabe Jackson ( third) , Swing Tackle D Sharpe ( 4th) Brandon Parker ( Third round- eventually will be guard).    Center Andre James - undrafted Fa who was a Lt, and Rt in college.  Will be Hudson eventually replacement at center), and in Fa ( Rt Trent Brown, C R Hudson,  and Richie Incognito.     G Denzel Good they picked up on waivers - been a God send coming from the Colts who offense line coach  cut him last year because he went to a funeral.

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I think we have to re-sign Beechum, at least on a 1 year deal. He’s not good, but he’s not bad. You see how much more Sam had looked with him back there.

I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on Conklin. Regardless of which vet we’ll re-sign or sign, we’ll have to draft some LT, even if just for depth.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Beachum has been decent and decent value.   No complaints for him.  

Yup. Beachum is paid like a mid-tier LT, and he has performed like a mid-tier LT.

Solid player on a solid contract. If you want an elite guy, you either have to find one in the draft or pay a FA much more than the $8M per year average the Jets gave Beachum in his deal.

Generally, the only two OL spots a team should overpay for are LT and C.  However, the Jets need to revamp the entire line, so if JD is committed to drafting stud LT and C prospects in the first 2-3 rounds, he absolutely should be willing to overpay for a G or RT.

We have to hope that someone, maybe Edoga, emerges in this second half to lock down a starting spot for next year. The rest of the guys are backups at best., though one may end up starting next year. If Edoga improves enough to be just a decent RT for next year, that would be huge.

Also, by all means draft another OL in the round 4-6 range as a developmental guy.

Draft 3 young guys (2 as starters), sign one stud free agent, and then sign or resign depth guys.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

the oline looked a whole lot better and part of that has to be beachum coming back.