Did Sheppard Impress Anyone?

JetBlue

I have to say he looked impressive to me. I know it was the Giants and they had a few starters out on their OL but hey, he maybe with Williams gone, and increased PT, maybe the light bulb goes off for him.  I know he is kinda old for a second year player but between him, Q and FF, we may have a few decent DLmen.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I have to say he looked impressive to me. I know it was the Giants and they had a few starters out on their OL but hey, he maybe with Williams gone, and increased PT, maybe the light bulb goes off for him.  I know he is kinda old for a second year player but between him, Q and FF, we may have a few decent DLmen.  

He was all over the place. Was really impressed but I hope he can do it against good teams as well and not just the Giants. (Felt good typing that lol).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ElBarrioJets said:

He looked great on Sunday. Quinnen, McLendon, Fatukasi and Shepherd is actually a pretty damn solid, dare I say good, rotation at DT. 

All of the above are under contract for next year as well. I think it may be the only position that is actually set for 2020.

with the amount of resources put toward the DL, it better be good.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He played well but it goes back to the point that some of us were making.  Dt is a low value position and a guy  like shep was as good if not better than Leo.

We will be having the same discussion in a year or two about Quinnen Williams being Leo.

Barkley, 13 carries ONE yard 

5 Sacks

A win

One pointless argument against the DL.

And a baseless point today about Quinnen being Leo in a year.

Then again, who would guess that youd put this negative Nancy spin on a thread like this

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Crazier things have happened than Nate Shepard waking up

I remember in his first couple of preseason games he looked like Kris Jenkins and then just disappeared. He was terrific on Sunday. Teams get blinded by the athletic DTs and take them in the first. Unless you are a 10 sack unicorn like Donald your DL should be mid tier FAs mid round draft pics and UDFAs. We are living proof. Philips Futakasi Shepherd all better than Leo and probably Quinnen

Shep Took one out of the Patriots play book. He wasn’t gonna be in the DL rotation early in the season so might as well roid up and when he comes back he will be bigger, stronger and faster.  Well the plan seemed to work for him. Any good Patriot would of done the same thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

He looked great on Sunday. Quinnen, McLendon, Fatukasi and Shepherd is actually a pretty damn solid, dare I say good, rotation at DT. 

All of the above are under contract for next year as well. I think it may be the only position that is actually set for 2020.

It’s crazy. If you would’ve said that first statement but did not mention any names, I would’ve assumed you’d be talking about Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson, Coples, Leonard Williams. Holy **** this is depressing. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Barkley, 13 carries ONE yard 

5 Sacks

A win

One pointless argument against the DL.

And a baseless point today about Quinnen being Leo in a year.

Then again, who would guess that youd put this negative Nancy spin on a thread like this

Argument isn’t pointless. It’s actually correct. This is a 2-7 team talking about how the old when they drafted him defensive lineman finally showed up on Sunday. There are stark realities that need to be voiced when talking about the Jets. The tone of this thread and post would be different if the team was 7-2 but staring down the barrel of another losing season, some just aren’t in the mood for attaboys against an even worse rebuilding team. 

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He played well but it goes back to the point that some of us were making.  Dt is a low value position and a guy  like shep was as good if not better than Leo.

We will be having the same discussion in a year or two about Quinnen Williams being Leo.

Thanks for a negative spin. We can almost always count on you.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Argument isn’t pointless. It’s actually correct. This is a 2-7 team talking about how the old when they drafted him defensive lineman finally showed up on Sunday. There are stark realities that need to be voiced when talking about the Jets. The tone of this thread and post would be different if the team was 7-2 but staring down the barrel of another losing season, some just aren’t in the mood for attaboys against an even worse rebuilding team. 

The  DL played extremely well. 

Abused a top RB.  Pressured a QB all day.  Caused fumbles

Wrong day to whine about the DL.  It was a pointless, should have said mindless, post.  You can have a good DL on a 2-7 team.  Theyve played the run well all season.  Nevermind this DL was playing this rotation for the first time

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Giants are terrible and their OL sucks but yes, he played well.  The concerning part, he played 30% less snaps (26) than Q. Will (46) and was 100x more impressive.  He flashed more in one game than Q. Will has flashed all season.

Yeah, thats wrong.  

He played well in one game, a game Q played well in also.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Giants are terrible and their OL sucks but yes, he played well.  The concerning part, he played 30% less snaps (26) than Q. Will (46) and was 100x more impressive.  He flashed more in one game than Q. Will has flashed all season.

watch out for the buttfumblers. they get all anal when you analyze the play of draft picks they support and who are

not living up to the hype.

He impressed me enough to be comfortable with the depth we have at iDL. Q, McLendon, Foley, and Shep are plenty. Trade Henry and use that money somewhere else. Just show how ridiculous our resource allocation was under Macc. We can trade Leo and Henry and still be a top interior unit. 

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think run stuffing DT is a low value position guy, but a DT who can collapse the pocket and put pressure on the QB is not low value at all. Guys like Sapp, Jenkins, Donald are extraordinarily valuable and can change a defense by themselves.

The problem with Leo was it wasnt realistic to expect him to be that type of player, hence why he was not a good draft pick. The reason QW was projected so high was he is expected to be that type of guy. If he does, it was a very worthwhile draft pick, if not, it was a bad draft pick at 3. I do think there was more reason to beleive QW would be that type of guy than Leo, but will see.

I also don't think DT is as easy a position as people think it is. There is a lot of tecnique and strength that is needed at the NFL level that is not needed at the college level. Next year will be very telling for QW. He needs a strong offseason and then the hope is with some more strength and experience, he can be a force next year. All that said, He wouldnt have been my choice at 3.

I was impressed but would like to see it over a larger sample size (obviously). I did think he looked jacked for a DT

I think the bigger takeaway from both Sheppard and much more so Fatuski is the leap that some of these guys can make after a full year and how we should all RELAX about Q. Fatuski was an inactive last year and is literally throwing offensive lineman around now.  

Q is playing significant snaps, generating pressure all while being used incorrectly ( he should never be stunting as his best attribute is his quickness and ability to split a double team). Q could very much make a similar leap and go from good/average player as a rookie to an excellent, penetrating DT for the rest of his career.