Some Thoughts on Brian Winters

JetNation

brian-winters.jpg

Here are some quick thoughts on the toughness of Brian Winters that were originally posted in our forums by KRL.

If Winters actually blew out his shoulder in camp and played half a season with it a couple of issues come up:

– He hasn’t been the greatest but credit to him for probably being the toughest.

– Winters playing with a blown shoulder shines some light on the Osemele situation.  It doesn’t make the team look good but they probably said, “Winters is playing with a blown shoulder, can’t you play with a tear?”

– Will the team take Winters sacrifice into account and actually bring him back next year?  Maybe on a cheaper deal?

Visit our message board and let us know what you think about Brian Winters. Will he be back with the team next year? Does the injury he played with change your mind on his performance at all this year?

The post Some Thoughts on Brian Winters appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
6fIE9bI29aI

Click here to read the full story...

The average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years. 

224 new players are drafted every year, plus lots of UDFAs

I think Winters may be done.  Mac made him a lot of money by not finding someone to replace him, even as he played hurt most of the last seven years.  

He was a good soldier and had a good run 

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

The average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years. 

224 new players are drafted every year, plus lots of UDFAs

I think Winters may be done.  Mac made him a lot of money by not finding someone to replace him, even as he played hurt most of the last seven years.  

He was a good soldier and had a good run 

He played well in his contract year, but was pretty bad every other year in his career. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Nice Tats! I don't remember any good moments with Winters - I don't think we had any!

He had some great games against Suh when he played for the Dolphins. 

I don’t want him back, but I think he gave his all given his ability and health.  It’s not his fault that Mac could not find anyone better. 

Appreciate his toughness but taking out that emotion I’ll be glad to see his disappointing jets career end.

he was the worst guard I’ve ever seen his first two seasons. After improvement his ceiling was a below average lineman. Never saw his “nasty” streak make a lick of difference on the field. He was overpaid, had too many penalties, played through a lot of pain. Tough guy, probably a good teammate. 

met him once, was very gracious. Country boy who can live a comfortable life shooting deer and raising a family, wish him well.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Appreciate his toughness but taking out that emotion I’ll be glad to see his disappointing jets career end.

he was the worst guard I’ve ever seen his first two seasons. After improvement his ceiling was a below average lineman. Never saw his “nasty” streak make a lick of difference on the field. He was overpaid, had too many penalties, played through a lot of pain. Tough guy, probably a good teammate. 

met him once, was very gracious. Country boy who can live a comfortable life shooting deer and raising a family, wish him well.

Right. I like the old school tough guys who play through injuries. That's what I grew up watching and I am predisposed to think that's the norm. Guys with blood all over their pants etc. Winters falls into that category during a time where guys will sit out for feeling sleepy. That said, we desperately need to upgrade this OL of ours. Winters is a part of that. He's never really been more than serviceable and has been paid like top tier starter with complete job security. Not too shabby. I'd consider bringing him back as a designated back up who can help mold the new guys with some toughness, but that's about it. Let him sit the bench and back up some young studs that JD will bring in. 

If not, then I wish him well and thank him for not being a complete pu$$y like so many are these days. Played hard but not well. And why was he yelling at Sam on the sideline a couple of weeks ago? WHO THE F*CK DOES HE THINK HE IS???   :) 

• Upvote 1

"– He hasn’t been the greatest but credit to him for probably being the toughest."

First of all, I call "Bullsh!t" on him having 'busted' his shoulder in camp.

Secondly, you can't be always hurt AND be the toughest. Sorry, doesn't work that way. At some point, you have to be tough enough not to be injured...or just playing like you're injured.

great rotational team guy, overpaid by Mac in attempt to cover up OL incompetence, it worked and Mac was extended LOL not good for Jets or Winters who can still play in the league as a backup

November 12, 2019: New York Jets placed G Brian Winters on IR.

December 27, 2017: New York Jets placed G Brian Winters on IR.

January 16, 2017: New York Jets re-signed G Brian Winters to a four-year contract extension.

December 21, 2016: New York Jets placed G Brian Winters on IR.

October 13, 2014: New York Jets placed G Brian Winters on IR.

3rd round Draft pick in 2013 - started 12 games - possibly Idzik's best draft pick