BREAKING THE PATTERN

TMAC

It would be perfectly consistent with Jets tradition for team to lay an egg on Sunday and lose to the hapless Redskins.  They are coming off an important win against the Giants.  Sam looked good. The front 7 on defense played quite well.  Adjustments were made in the secondary.  Perfect opportunity to stab their fans in the heart.  

• Upvote 2

Agree. This is a classic SOJ loss coming up . 

Hopefully, this young "core" we have (I'm being kind) can start to change things. 

I will write it again - In order for me to start to believe in this group, I would need to see this team beat Washington, Cincy, Miami, and Oakland. That would be six total wins and another win against a decent team (Oakland). 

• Upvote 2

Classic let down game from the Jets is absolutely right.

As others have said in this thread, paramount importance for the rest of this season is to let Sam build confidence in himself (by winning games), reps against other D’s, chemistry with his team, and comfort in this offense (in case Gase comes back).

After that, everything should be about Joe Douglas evaluating the roster and coaching staff. Gase sucks and I want him gone, but I wish we wouldn’t have to search for a new guy. I held out hope that he was the guy. He’s got 7 games left and 0 excuses to prove he deserves to be back.

My advice to him is to do what he did this week...Let Darnold dictate the offense. Tailor each game plan around his comfort level. No ones rationally expecting us to win out with this roster. He just has to show he can adapt his sh*tty system into a hybrid of what Sam wants. You would think these things are common sense, tailoring an offense around a players strengths and wants. Look what its done for Baltimore and Houston. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

In past years I would have been all about the draft pick. This year, by far the most important thing for the Jets is to try to understand what Darnold is. 5 Wins with Darnold showing good improvement would be fine by me. You can build a line in the first 3 rounds, you don't need to have a top OL prospect. Not saying I wouldnt want that, but they arent a mandate.

at this point, what else is there?  but to the point about the oline and the draft, the jets still have enough holes so all of the draft picks, or even the top 3 should go only to oline.  imo they'll mix it up between the draft and free agency.  they should have some good cap space this year.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  If Darnold plays well over  the last 7 games, and we finish 5-11 and have good reason to believe Darnold can be a franchise QB that is a good thing.  Even if it means we lose out on Andrew Thomas.  I would rather pick 8th and think we have the QB that can lead the franchise for the next decade than pick 3rd and know that we don't.

I'd rather be able to trade our top 3 pick to a QB-needy team for three first rounders.  But that's just me.  

People always forget that that's an option, because we've never been in position to do it, thanks to meaningless wins.  

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

jets will beat the skins and the dolphins and maybe one other team and will have 5 wins, just enough to miss out on the best olieman out there in the draft.

Not true. We'll trade up and grab him. Only gonna cost the next two 1sr rounders. It'll be the bestest move ever made by anybody ever. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People always forget that that's an option, because we've never been in position to do it, thanks to meaningless wins.  

I hear ya.  Ideal world, Sam plays well, we fall short in most games because of no pass rush and a porous secondary and still pick 2 or 3 while believing we have solved for the QB.  My expectation though is if Sam plays well, we are likely to win a few games against bad opponents.  So be it.  I would rather see that happen than Sam sucks as we lose our last 7 and still feel like we need a new QB while we auction off the #2 pick.

And if the QB is developing as we win a few games, I would argue that the wins are not meaningless.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Lith said:

I hear ya.  Ideal world, Sam plays well, we fall short in most games because of no pass rush and a porous secondary and still pick 2 or 3 while believing we have solved for the QB.  My expectation though is if Sam plays well, we are likely to win a few games against bad opponents.  So be it.  I would rather see that happen than Sam sucks as we lose our last 7 and still feel like we need a new QB while we auction off the #2 pick.

And if the QB is developing as we win a few games, I would argue that the wins are not meaningless.

I can agree to that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

In past years I would have been all about the draft pick. This year, by far the most important thing for the Jets is to try to understand what Darnold is. 5 Wins with Darnold showing good improvement would be fine by me. You can build a line in the first 3 rounds, you don't need to have a top OL prospect. Not saying I wouldnt want that, but they arent a mandate.

I don;t disagree, i have low faith in adam gase as a coach though.

The jets always win a few meaningless games at the end of the year and screw their draft prospects.  Whether that be to take a key player or be able to trade down.

Guys like sanchez and geno and petty 'showed improvement' with late season meaningless wins.

• Upvote 2

They should pummel the Redskins but this is a classic letdown game. I'm hoping they show-up and play well enough to win. You never know with this team. I'm thinking they beat the Skins, Cincy and the Fish but anything can happen and this team can and will lay an egg at any given time.

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd rather be able to trade our top 3 pick to a QB-needy team for three first rounders.  But that's just me.  

Gase will try to win every game he can. He is certainly not interested in tanking.

1 hour ago, TMAC said:

It would be perfectly consistent with Jets tradition for team to lay an egg on Sunday and lose to the hapless Redskins.  They are coming off an important win against the Giants.  Sam looked good. The front 7 on defense played quite well.  Adjustments were made in the secondary.  Perfect opportunity to stab their fans in the heart.  

Not every thought needs a public airing...

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think there's any such thing as a "let down" game when you're 2-7.

Lol. Reading fans using the word pummel cracks me up. The team around Darnold blows chunks & has had an avalanche of injuries. This team as constituted has to play at a high level to beat these teams that are pretty much in the same boat as we are. That Cowboy win was a STUNNER, that team has 4 years of building compared to where we're at. Be like us losing to a bottom feeder 3 years from now, ugh, shoot me!

42 minutes ago, jgb said:

Gase will try to win every game he can. He is certainly not interested in tanking.

In our dumbsh*t organizational structure, a tank would have to Ownership-driven, since the GM can't mandate that to the coach.  

Any tanking we do, thus, would be accidental rather than intentional.  

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In our dumbsh*t organizational structure, a tank would have to Ownership-driven, since the GM can't mandate that to the coach.  

Any tanking we do, thus, would be accidental rather than intentional.  

Remember the most famous tank in history? Suck for Luck?

The GM and HC were canned in January after that miserable season. “Hey thanks for sucking to get the best QB prospect in history. Pack your sheet.”

NFL teams don’t tank until like week 16-17, if ever.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Remember the most famous tank in history? Suck for Luck?

The GM and HC were canned in January after that miserable season. “Hey thanks for sucking to get the best QB prospect in history. Pack your sheet.”

NFL teams don’t tank until like week 16-17, if ever.

The 2019 Dolphins say hello.  

I agree that the 2011 Colts weren't tanking.  They were just that bad without Peyton.  The Colts are the most overrated NFL organization.