Assemble Your All Time Jets Offense

THE BARON

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Hello... I saw the previous post about assembling the Jets all time defense.  Some nice picks and info...

Anyone wanna take a crack at offense + special teams ???  

LT- Marvin Powell

LG: Faneca (his early tenure with the Jets)

Center:  Mangold

TE: Mickey Shuler

RG: Dan Alexander

RT: Chris Ward

RB1: Curtis Martin

RB2 Matt Snell

WR1; Don Maynard (tough call  leaving Walker out, but Maynard is in the HOF)

WR2: Al Toon 

Slot: Wayne Chrebet

QB: Joe Namath

Punt/Kick Return: Bruce Harper

K. Pat Leahy

P.  Dave Jennings

Some changes

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Vinny had a phenomenal year, but **** the three of them.  I will take Kenny O.  You can throw around whatever bullsh*t you want, but he was stuck with those two moronic coaches - Walton with Kotite as an OC.  I will stand by him over the others. He could throw the ******* ball

Kenny O was good passer, very strong arm and he was more a victim  of bad offensive lines than even Walton or Kotite, but he was about the least mobile QB I ever saw. He was a sitting duck back there. It's  the biggest reason we lost games with him. 

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Kenny O was good passer, very strong arm and he was more a victim  of bad offensive lines than even Walton or Kotite, but he was about the least mobile QB I ever saw. He was a sitting duck back there. It's  the biggest reason we lost games with him. 

... and in the modern NFL he would get 62 roughing the passer penalties per season.  At 15 yards a pop that's almost an extra 1,000 yards!

• Haha 1

Im gonna go out on a limb and say the guy who won us Super Bowl III and is in the Football Hall of Fame is without question the Jets All Time best QB and anyone who says different needs their heads examined! Although I will say that we all need our heads examined for being Jets Fans!

• Upvote 1

Based on who I've seen here's mine, we had three
great centers and I'm taking all of them:

LT - Brick Ferguson
LG - Nick Mangold
C - Kevin Mawae
RG - Joe Fields
RT - Marvin Powell

TE - Mickey Shuler

WR - Wesley Walker, Al Toon
Slot - Wayne Chrebet

FB - Richie Anderson

RB - Curtis Martin
Third Down RB - Bruce Harper

QB - Vinny Testaverde (1998 Version)

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Hello... I saw the previous post about assembling the Jets all time defense.  Some nice picks and info...

LT- Birck (post Faneca arrival) * I would list Winston Hill, but I never saw him play :(

RT: Marvin Powell

RB1: Freeman McNeil

RB2 (pick a full back or scat back): Leon Washington

WR1; Wesley Walker

QB: Chad (before first injury)

K. Pat Layhey

P.  Dave Jennings

Faneca was an all time great for the Steelers but he sucked for us. Even his one not-terrible season here wasn't as good as other players have been even in the post-Parcels era. Kendall was better in his own short term here, as was Carpenter in his first 2 seasons. And this is just among those after y2k, never mind all time in the franchise's history. 

Faneca helped Brick, but so did Brick entering his 3rd season as well as Faneca replacing a total zero. By Faneca's second season here he was among the league's worst guards and we cut him - correctly - even though his 3rd season was guaranteed. After 1 year for the Cardinals (playing just as badly for them) he was out of the league for good. Last I heard he was an ironman triathlete or something and was really slimmed down (good for him). Point about his 2nd season here is even though Faneca was terrible, IIRC allowing the most QB pressures of any LG in the league - Brick got even better still. Ferguson was a premiere young talent and he just required more than a year or two playing next to the likes of Adrien Clarke to show how good he could be. 

Agree on your RB1 though, however much flack others are giving you. For a career? Yeah few outlasted Martin, who was an excellent all around back with legendary stamina and pain tolerance. But for just 1-3 years for a SB run, where you didn't want/need to hand the ball off to the same player 330 times? McNeil was just a more dangerous runner with the football in hand. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I liked O'Brien a lot.  All agree he had a great arm and excellent ball placement.  His downfall was pocket awareness and not that he was immobile.  Even a fat cow can take a single step to avoid a freight train *if* the fat cow can see, feel or hear it coming.  The o-lines in front of O'Brien got a bad name because it was close to impossible to protect him.  He didn't see the pressure and take that all important step up, back or to the side.  The brass spent a lot of effort and draft picks trying to protect him.  Dave Cadigan, Mike Haight, Jeff Criswell and a few others.  

I'm seeing somewhat of the same issue with Daniel Jones.   He is not aware of the pressure.   He sure can move, but he seems deaf dumb and blind to the pressure at times...

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Faneca was an all time great for the Steelers but he sucked for us. Even his one not-terrible season here wasn't as good as other players have been even in the post-Parcels era. Kendall was better in his own short term here, as was Carpenter in his first 2 seasons. And this is just among those after y2k, never mind all time in the franchise's history. 

Faneca helped Brick, but so did Brick entering his 3rd season as well as Faneca replacing a total zero. By Faneca's second season here he was among the league's worst guards and we cut him - correctly - even though his 3rd season was guaranteed. After 1 year for the Cardinals (playing just as badly for them) he was out of the league for good. Last I heard he was an ironman triathlete or something and was really slimmed down (good for him). Point about his 2nd season here is even though Faneca was terrible, IIRC allowing the most QB pressures of any LG in the league - Brick got even better still. Ferguson was a premiere young talent and he just required more than a year or two playing next to the likes of Adrien Clarke to show how good he could be. 

Agree on your RB1 though, however much flack others are giving you. For a career? Yeah few outlasted Martin, who was an excellent all around back with legendary stamina and pain tolerance. But for just 1-3 years for a SB run, where you didn't want/need to hand the ball off to the same player 330 times? McNeil was just a more dangerous runner with the football in hand. 

Agree with everything you wrote regarding Faneca.  He had a good year with the Jets and then became a liability especially in pass blocking.  He was getting blown up regularly. I'd take him when he was effective, but certainly not at the end of his career.  

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, THE BARON said:

LT- Birck (post Faneca arrival) * I would list Winston Hill, but I never saw him play :(

RT: Marvin Powell

RB1: Freeman McNeil

RB2 (pick a full back or scat back): Leon Washington

WR1; Wesley Walker

QB: Chad (before first injury)

K. Pat Layhey

P.  Dave Jennings

HC: Adam Gase

41 minutes ago, HessStation said:

easy:

QB: Namath/O’Brien 

RB: Martin/McNeil

FB: Riggins/Richardson 

TE: Shuler/Keller/Baker

WR: Walker/Toon/Maynard/Chrebet/Moore 

OT: Hill/Ferguson 

OG: Fields/Faneca 

OC: Mangold/Mawae

OG: Alexander/Rasmussen 

OT: Powell/Elliot

Great list  made a few changes of preference.  Caster was a TE/WR.  Barkum was an awesome all-round TE that could block and was a red zone threat, and Coles could take the top off and be a slot.  Coles/Maynard/Walker would be a speed problem all day.  Fields was a center, but I get it.

QB: Namath/O’Brien 

RB: Martin/McNeil

FB: Riggins/Richardson 

TE: Shuler/Barkum/Caster

WR: Walker/Toon/Maynard/Chrebet/Coles

OT: Hill/Ferguson 

OG: Fields/Faneca 

OC: Mangold/Mawae

OG: Alexander/Rasmussen 

OT: Powell/Elliot

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Green DNA said:

1980 is the beginning of time apparently.

Yes, we just dreamed about Joe Namath and Don Maynard, two hall of famers that shocked the world in professional football.  Has anyone ever heard of Richard Caster at Tight end?  For me, opposite Don Maynard would be Wesley Walker.  Three guys on the "O" line would be Marvin Powell at right tackle, Winston Hill at left tackle, and Nick Mangold at center.  Randy Rasmussen may not have been one of the greatest left guards, but he did start like 160 games in a row without missing one single game.  He shouldn't be dismissed. Faneca was on his way down when he came to the Jets, even though his initial 2 years were still very good. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Vinny had a phenomenal year, but **** the three of them.  I will take Kenny O.  You can throw around whatever bullsh*t you want, but he was stuck with those two moronic coaches - Walton with Kotite as an OC.  I will stand by him over the others. He could throw the ******* ball

Wasn't Pat Ryan stuck with them too? Yet he took Ken's team and won a playoff game and had the Jets in position to win another one before he got hurt and Ken came in and did absolutely nothing.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Wasn't Pat Ryan stuck with them too? Yet he took Ken's team and won a playoff game and had the Jets in position to win another one before he got hurt and Ken came in and did absolutely nothing.

Yep Kenny had a arm but feet of stone not even 1 rushing td in his career. Namath had 7 and he wore braces.. Plus Kenny had a really slow release..

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Yep Kenny had a arm but feet of stone not even 1 rushing td in his career. Namath had 7 and he wore braces.. Plus Kenny had a really slow release..

He was like a Bledsoe type, he'd hang in there always looking for the big play.  He took a million unnecessary sacks in the process.

He's one of those guys that is very overrated by Jet fans because they see some YouTube clips of him throwing downfield.  

• Upvote 1