Guilhermezmc

Christopher Johnson says Gase will return in 2020

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Don't get the need to come out and say this now.  You want to say the you will evaluate coacj, coaching staff, players at end of the season, fine.  But what is the point of saying his job is safe now.  At the end of the season, if Darnold and the rest of the team look better than they have over the first half, you make any announcements then.  I don't understand the timing.

I agree completely with this.  I am not offended by the concept, and understand that is how they want this to end up.

But by making this statement now, two games after a completely inept coaching performance, does not send the right message of accountability and ownership being thoughtful and striving to win.  

Its more like a parent saying that is what it is...because I said so.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• They're not firing him because he had a crappy roster even if healthy. 
  • They're not firing him because he had an injured roster on top of it's initial crappiness. 
  • They're not firing him because the roster will certainly be no better in January, making it an unattractive spot even without the acting owner firing his last handpicked HC after just one season.
  • They're not firing him because he has 3 more guaranteed years left on his contract.
  • They're not firing him because Douglas is here because of Gase, and if this is how Douglas treats his established friends/allies, why would anyone else with no such incoming loyalties come here?
  • They're not firing him because it's only been 1 season, with everything listed above. 

All of the above is completely true, and in the history of Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Bellichick, who struggled in their first year with bad teams, only to turn them around and become Hall of Fame coaches, keeping Gase as HC for 2020 would make complete sense, from an objective basis, for the reasons you list above.   I also think that we will not get a better HC until we show the league we can get better players, so firing Gase now is somewhat of a waste of time.

For for those watching the games, and the interactions, and the injury reports, and Darnold's performance in most of his appearances, and now piecing together what happened Miami over the three years before Gase got here, Gase as HC of the NYJ does not feel right.  We know where this is going.  Its like watching the train hit the school bus.

So I will stick with my spiel-regardless of how Gase looks in 2019, this is a two year try out for him.  Maybe he gets pulled mid-year next year if the team, which should better, does not perform respectably.  But CJ said that Gase will be back-he did not say anything about his staff.  CJ and JD should put the hammer down and make him hire a better staff.  

8 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I really don't understand why it's so hard for some to comprehend that the Johnsons are morons.  I don't think it's debatable. 

This sums it up.

We get the point why you give ALMOST any new coach at least 2 years to turn around a bad team.   However, someone pointed out teams that turned themselves around with quick firings-SEAHAWKS, 49ers, even Cardinals. 

But what bothers me more is the interactions we are hearing CJ have with the players, and his resulting meddling.  Meeting with Adams and then declaring he should be a Jet for life?  How does JD trade him if that is better for the team?  How do we pay him $15mm and afford an edge and CB1?

It is also apparent that DARNOLD wants Gase to stay, and that probably influenced his statement.  

The conclusion here is understandable, but the background, approach and path is all wrong. 

• Upvote 2

You know the craziest part of this....the decision to extend Mac and Bowles.

After a strong but flawed first year and two pretty lousy years, the Jets had a choice of what to do with Mac and Bowles in their last year.   I believe the Giants wisely let Coughlin coach his last year without an extension, and then they extended him.  But for reasons we cannot really comprehend the Jets extended both Mac and Bowles rather than let them prove themselves.  

After Mac’s 2019, it would have been clear that he should go.  Bowles would have been coaching for a new job.  He coached terribly last year and was justifiably fired.   But obviously his coaching job looks better now than it did then.

But...the Jets could have moved on from Mac and Bowles with relatively little financial pain.  The cost of paying Mac and Bowles for the next X years is their own fault.  They did not deserve a contract extension in 2018.  

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company