Christopher Johnson says Gase will return in 2020

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Don't get the need to come out and say this now.  You want to say the you will evaluate coacj, coaching staff, players at end of the season, fine.  But what is the point of saying his job is safe now.  At the end of the season, if Darnold and the rest of the team look better than they have over the first half, you make any announcements then.  I don't understand the timing.

I agree completely with this.  I am not offended by the concept, and understand that is how they want this to end up.

But by making this statement now, two games after a completely inept coaching performance, does not send the right message of accountability and ownership being thoughtful and striving to win.  

Its more like a parent saying that is what it is...because I said so.  

• Upvote 1

basically he said he could care less how the  rest of the season plays  out-nothing like not holding anybody accountable for anything. I guess when you are not a self made person you tolerate incompetence. Hey Jets ownership how about refunding money for this another wasted season? Keep charging $12 bucks for a beer to instead of doing what Atlanta does. If anybody wants one of my sets of pls for pennies on the dollar give me a shout(serious offer )

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

As he should. 

Look at Belichicks 1st year in New England & the excuse he gave for it.

Belichick restructured the team's personnel department in the offseason, and later proclaimed that the team "could not win with 40 good players while the other team has 53," after a number of players showed up out of shape for the start of training camp. The Patriots went on to finish the season 5–11, finishing last in the AFC East and missing the playoffs for the second straight season.

Not the same situation, so it is not really equatable.  this was not Bellicheck's first time rebuilding a team he did it in Cleveland and made the playoffs in the 3rd yr at 11-5 the next yr the team quit as they announced when the browns were 4-3 or 4-4 they were moving.

• Upvote 1

Lets be clear the jets just dont want to pay another coach and admit they F'd up yet again. They will just ask for your patience for another year while taking all of your money-as a fan you have two choices give them your money or not give them your money-after 40+ years they wont get another dollar from me.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Does anyone think Chris Johnson is overriding Joe Douglas on this? Like, Joe Douglas is thirsty to go out and hire the Eagles QB coach or something? 

The problem is that there is room to wonder about it either way. Might be Kris's call. Might be Jo's. There's no earthly way of knowing. Hot take fodder abounds. Jets fans get the entertainment product they won't admit to wanting.

I think Gase is a bad coach, but really has this season gone differently than anyone expected given the circumstances?

If you swap the outcome of the Dallas and Miami game, given the endless list of injuries to key players, that's exactly how I would have expected this season to unfold so far.  Throw in a toss up game win against the Giants and I'd say it's hard to say he should take the blame here.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Does anyone think Chris Johnson is overriding Joe Douglas on this? Like, Joe Douglas is thirsty to go out and hire the Eagles QB coach or something? 

No not at all I'm glad they're keeping it together. I think I just finally want the feeling that the GM is actually running things I hate the Johnsons and want them nowhere near any decision involving football. It'll never happen but that's where I was coming from. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think Gase is a bad coach, but really has this season gone differently than anyone expected given the circumstances?

If you swap the outcome of the Dallas and Miami game, given the endless list of injuries to key players, that's exactly how I would have expected this season to unfold so far.  Throw in a toss up game win against the Giants and I'd say it's hard to say he should take the blame here.

But @Pac promised a playoff roster.  

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

I’m guessing you watch some football other then the Jets.

If you do - can you honestly say that our offense shows ANY of the concepts that are working throughout the league?  How many misdirection plays have we run in 2019, even though throwing on the run is Sams strength?

How about back shoulder passes?

How about zone read plays where Sam runs so that maybe the defense isn’t constantly crushing Bell. 

What were your thoughts on the back to back pointless challenges on Sunday when we lost 2 timeouts and our ability to challenge another play even though there were four minutes left in a one score game?  

The team is hampered by injuries but also clearly hampered by a coach that has never shown sustained success in this league. 

Yet another awful decision by this team’s ownership. 

I love the sticking with the BAD plan argument like the jets have never done that before-our problem is usually we stick to  guys that are shown to be clueless for too long......

imagine giving a vote of confidence to an employee with a terrible record of performance and telling him no matter how bad this year gets you are still going to be here next year

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty much. Johnson may be a boob, but I don't see him overriding Douglas on this or most decisions really. You can tell who amongst the beat-writers likes Gase depending on how they spin the news. 

Pro-Gase: "Gase staying. Johnson finally being decisive. Everyone on the same page."

Not Pro-Gase: "Johnson trumping Douglas. Franchise will continue to flounder as long as CEO is making final personnel decisions."

But to @Matt39 point, we have no idea of the real power-structure. We can assume Douglas has the final say and that Johnson is a boob, but it's all conjecture. Not that there needs to be total transparency, but it would be nice to know that there is at least some sort of hierarchy when it comes to football decisions. And one that doesn't involve the Johnsons or whatever the president / VP of football operations is. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Gase got a 4 year contract, he then hired Douglas as GM to a 6 year contract. They have a good functioning relationship. He is going to give them reasonable time to work together to rebuild this team.

Yeah just like his stellar plan with mac and bowles who he gave 5 years to.

Douglas?  Well a gm is defined by his drafting so he gets time.  Gase?  Simply a waste of years and really jeopardizing the young QB.

Adam Gase has shown nothing to suggest he can even be reasonable let alone good.  His resume had nothing in it to suggest he was any good.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I posted Belichicks excuse for his 1st year in New England (5-11) last place in the AFC East. Said he only had 40 good players, needed to restructure the personel department, sound familiar?

Joe Douglas gets his 1st chance to run the personel department here, Gase doesn't even have 30 good players. Gase didn't come right out & say that like Belichick but his facial expressions & especially his bulging eyes ? were the result of looking at the roster with JD. I'm sure that was quite the eye opener & he'd already lost 4 of those 30 he expected B4 the end of the 1st vs Buffalo game. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

While I agree with the decision to bring him back for a year, I also agree that CJ shouldn't be making these decisions. Idk if I'd even let CJ stock the vending machines let alone team decisions lol

Kraft/Jones/Mara family/Rooney family all have shown in the past that they clearly have a significant roll in their coaches hiring/firing. 

So yeah, this is just typical Jet's inferiority complex syndrome where whatever they do the beat writers will spin into a negative and find sensitive Jets fans to buy into it. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Joe...can you comment on CJ vote of confidence for AG? No, I'm sorry, right now I'm concentrating on replacing half the team. When I accomplish that come back to me. Oh, and if you see that azzhole Maccagnon tell him I said thanks for nothing! 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, this is pretty definitive, too. Good for Johnson to put his stamp on it. Leaving Gase to twist in the wind any longer would have been bush. This is the right move for now.

He forgot: "and he's still coaching to where the game is going"

• Haha 1