Christopher Johnson says Gase will return in 2020

44 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

So, those in the fire Gase group think it would have been GOOD for SAM to have his third HC and third OC in 3 years?

Now, I am very worried that Sam will not grow up and get MUCH better. But for those of you who seem so damned confident that he is being held back..  is it that you want YET ANOTHER EXCUSE for Sam?

I think it would be better for sam to get away from gase as fast as possible-he does not want to  waste a few years with gase like tannyhill did who now looks pretty darn good

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I think it would be better for sam to get away from gase as fast as possible-he does not want to  waste a few years with gase like tannyhill did who now looks pretty darn good

so the same coach who coached mariota who sucked, is good for tanny?

so he UNLOCKED Tannehill, but was bad for Mariota b/c the players performance is PRIMARILY b/c of the coach?

i dont buy it.

tannehills performance will fall back to its mean soon enough.

again...  this is not intended as an endorsement of Gase. I dont know what to make

of the guy. He was meh at Miami. Now he has a sh*t OL and a super-inexperienced ,turnover prone backfoot throwing QB. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

because there is crazy amount of uncertainity going around.  he needed to stop the talk.

injuries have really hurt this team and Gase got a pass because of injuries and the crappy roster. 

I just don't understand how fans can expect so much from so little. Sams still learning to play the position. He's getting no protection, Bells running style behind this sh*tty Oline constantly is leaving the offense playing behind the chains in 2nd & 3rd and longs & our pass protection is horrific.

We can't run basic plays without penalties & you guys are screaming for more creativity. Did you watch Dalvin Cook vs the Cowboys? No f*cking dancing around like Bell does, he gets the ball & wham he attacks. The Oline doesn't match Bells running style. They don't have the strength up front to hold blocks long enough, nor the movement skills (Lets face it the Oline sucks), how much can you do when the Oline blows? Sam is not Russell Wilson. Wilson was also 24 when he was drafted, Sams still 2 years younger than that & he's in his 2nd NFL season. 

Lot of sh*t going on here. Young QB, horrible Oline, no big time WRs, a back that dances, pedestrian defense with no pass rushers & no CBs. These coaches came on with a plan but both have had to adapt over & over with way too many changing parts. You can't do sh*t without consistency. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Tannyhill looked good with Gase when he was healthy. Titans have a tough kick azz Oline with a tough kick azz physical runner too. Another team that 2 years ahead of us in their rebuild. 

• Upvote 2

C'est la vie.

Oh well. Such is life. 

I fully expect Gase to get 4 full years here.  This ownership group doesn't do one-year or even two-year firings.  They give each guy more than enough rope before they make their decision.  

Yet, like so many decisions of this organization, the timing on this is laughable.  You don't say this now.  Not if you're smart.

I don't agree with retaining him, but I also can't bring myself to care that much either.  What will be, will be.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

It's the right call... Not because I trust Gase explicitly, but because you can't just keep turning over the staff. Especially with a young QB. Consistency in that regard is important, in my opinion anyway. 

I just don't understand this line of thinking.  Yes, consistency is very important to every aspect of an NFL team, especially the QB, but NOT at the expense of stringing along a terrible HC for another year that has proven NOTHING in the NFL over the last 3-1/2 years.  It's not like he's a proven winner and has had any sustainable success in the league.  He has a losing record for goodness sakes!  He hasn't earned a mulligan, and the fact that the owner felt it necessary to announce this halfway into a disastrous season is mind boggling.

• Upvote 1

Adam Gase will remain Jets coach for 2020 season

November 13, 2019 | 12:57pm | Updated 

Jets CEO and chairman Christopher Johnson met with reporters on Wednesday and said Gase will return as the team’s coach in 2020 despite the team’s struggles this season.

“I want to assure you there will be no changes in coaches here,” Johnson said during a brief chat with reporters at practice. “Adam has the trust of this team. He has the trust of Sam [Darnold]. He has Joe [Douglas’] trust. He has my trust. He’s a good man. He’s a good coach.”

The Jets are 2-7 and are ranked 32nd in total offense in the NFL in Gase’s first season with the team. That has led frustrated fans to call for Gase to be fired. But Johnson is not going to give those fans what they want.

“It’s the trust that I see,” Johnson said of why he believes in Gase. “Seeing him work with Sam, just as a small portion of this question, gives me a lot of confidence. Seeing him work with Joe, it’s a whole new dynamic in this building. It’s a really positive dynamic. They have the same vision for this team going forward. There are a number of reasons but those are two really big ones I felt confident about Adam as our coach going forward.”

Johnson acknowledged there is frustration throughout the organization.

“We are not where we thought we would be,” Johnson said. “It’s exceedingly frustrating. But I’m here watching this team grind away every day, the coaches grind away every day and the thing that is so encouraging is there has never been a moment of finger pointing. There has never been a moment where someone has cast blame on someone else. I think that speaks very highly of the character of this team and the effort of the coaches.”

Johnson also said Douglas, who was hired as GM in June, and Gase have a long road ahead of them to turn the team around.

“I brought in Joe earlier this year, and he hasn’t been here very long, to help build the team with Adam,” Johnson said. “There’s a lot of work to do. There’s a great deal of work to do. Everyone understands that and we’re just getting started. But I feel really good about this team moving forward.”

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Don't get the need to come out and say this now.  You want to say the you will evaluate coacj, coaching staff, players at end of the season, fine.  But what is the point of saying his job is safe now.  At the end of the season, if Darnold and the rest of the team look better than they have over the first half, you make any announcements then.  I don't understand the timing.

The people who own this sh*tshow of an organization are idiots. Next question.?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

basically he said he could care less how the  rest of the season plays  out-nothing like not holding anybody accountable for anything. I guess when you are not a self made person you tolerate incompetence. Hey Jets ownership how about refunding money for this another wasted season? Keep charging $12 bucks for a beer to instead of doing what Atlanta does. If anybody wants one of my sets of pls for pennies on the dollar give me a shout(serious offer )

He couldn’t even wait to re-evaluate at the end of the freaking season!  Absolutely ZERO accountabliy in this organization   

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

Lets be clear the jets just dont want to pay another coach and admit they F'd up yet again. They will just ask for your patience for another year while taking all of your money-as a fan you have two choices give them your money or not give them your money-after 40+ years they wont get another dollar from me.

Nor do they deserve it.  Even if Gase works out, why would they say this now with 7 games left?  

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

While I agree with the decision to bring him back for a year, I also agree that CJ shouldn't be making these decisions. Idk if I'd even let CJ stock the vending machines let alone team decisions lol

Couldn’t agree more with Connor Rogers tweet.  CJ made the announcement.  Clearly it’s his decision rather than Joe D

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

But to @Matt39 point, we have no idea of the real power-structure. We can assume Douglas has the final say and that Johnson is a boob, but it's all conjecture. Not that there needs to be total transparency, but it would be nice to know that there is at least some sort of hierarchy when it comes to football decisions. And one that doesn't involve the Johnsons or whatever the president / VP of football operations is. 

Hire a guy to direct the organization then give him power.  I loved the Joe D hire.  Now just leave the franchise in his hands.  CJ is a meddling buffoon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

event_image-1.jpg

SAR I

(I only wish the airplane idiots would have flown for Mark Sanchez in 2012)

Why are you so excited?  Even you said you have no idea if he’s good (and that he could be another Kotite). What happened to “evaluate at the end of the season”?  There was no reason for CJ to say this now. Once again this organization has ZERO accountability.  And it will look even more clownish if the season goes up in smoke and CJ does a 180 at season’s end and does end up firing Gase. 

CJ waited until after the draft and free agency to fire Macc.  Now he guarantees Gase with 7 games left in a train wreck of a season and you’re celebrating the move?!

Darnold is still on his first contract (in other words affordable).  CJ is committing to a HC who now has no accountability the next 7 games.  If Gase doesn’t improve then we’re going to waste Darnold’s 3rd year.  This is a moronic move and everyone on this forum should be upset.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Somewhere way back in the deep and dark recesses of my brain, I want the Jets to lose the rest of their games in embarrassing fashion just so this trust fund baby dimwit has to eat his words and fire Gase after the season.   

Wow! That was cathartic!   

Just to be clear - I actually want the Jets to win out the rest of the way.  Just sayin'. Carry on.

In the long run it might be the best thing for the franchise in embarrassing fashion the rest of the way just to teach our idiot owner a lesson for the future.  

Well, a week ago, I think, CJ twit that he is got defensive about the choice of AG. Now this. It makes sense because he has an out due to all the injuries.

It doesn't matter that the same failed pattern AG created in Miami is repeating itself, losses and injuries. Like the fools running the impeachment inquiry his version of reality is what he wants it to be not what it is.... It seems it doesn't matter that AG had his guys the last two years in Miami and still lost in most cases by double digits, but what the hell....

Unless they lose all the games, sam plays poorly in each game and he loses the locker room he is here at least through 2020, sigh. Thank goodness I watch the Packers too. LOL what a twit.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why are you so excited?  Even you said you have no idea if he’s good (and that he could be another Kotite). What happened to “evaluate at the end of the season”?  There was no reason for CJ to say this now. Once again this organization has ZERO accountability.  And it will look even more clownish if the season goes up in smoke and CJ does a 180 at season’s end and does end up firing Gase. 

CJ waited until after the draft and free agency to fire Macc.  Now he guarantees Gase with 7 games left in a train wreck of a season and you’re celebrating the move?!

It’s injuries. The witch-hunt was disgusting. Four games with his starting QB and you’re calling for his head. 

A new low for SOJF. That’s hard to do.  

SAR I

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

The comparisons of Gase to Belichick are laughable btw.  Belichick won 2 SBs as DC for the Giants (with a legendary defense).  He did a great job with the Jets as DC under Parcells.  He was held in very high regard by one of the greatest HC’s of all time in Parcells   

What are Gase’s achievements?  

• Upvote 1

Meh

It’s to be expected

Ultimately the Jets will end up finishing 5-11 after the starting QB had mono, key pieces like Mosley and Williamson missed essentially the entire season, the OL was a mess, they were starting practice squad guys at CB, etc.

I’m not too hot on Gase anymore but the guy was clearly dealt a pretty sh*t hand this year.

He was never getting fired barring a completely disastrous 1-15 type of season.

If the Jets upgrade the OL and get everyone back healthy next year and he’s still not producing results, then his ass will be blistering in no time.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It’s injuries. The witch-hunt was disgusting. Four games with his starting QB and you’re calling for his head. 

SAR I

I didn’t call for his head.  I said “give him the season and evaluate then”.  That is the correct way to enforce accountability.  There was no reason whatsoever for CJ to force his own hand like this.  What if the rest of the season is as big of a disaster as the first 9 games?  

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Meh

It’s to be expected

Ultimately the Jets will end up finishing 5-11 after the starting QB had mono, key pieces like Mosley and Williamson missed essentially the entire season, the OL was a mess, they were starting practice squad guys at CB, etc.

I’m not too hot on Gase anymore but the guy was clearly dealt a pretty sh*t hand this year.

He was never getting fired barring a completely disastrous 1-15 type of season.

If the Jets upgrade the OL and get everyone back healthy next year and he’s still not producing results, then his ass will be blistering in no time.

Fair enough but why say this with 7 games left?!?!

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

When will you be starting your inevitable "The Jets will Win the Division in 2020, and that's Ok" Thread?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn’t call for his head.  I said “give him the season and evaluate then”.  That is the correct way to enforce accountability.  There was no reason whatsoever for CJ to force his own hand like this.  What if the rest of the season is as big of a disaster as the first 9 games?  

He can still fire him whenever he wants.  It’s a public vote of confidence so Gase and the team aren’t distracted by it for the rest of the season. It’s not like he’s writing it into his contract.

A good owner addresses the fans and puts out fires if he can.  He just did both.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fair enough but why say this with 7 games left?!?!

I agree that the timing is a bit odd.

My only guess is that he doesn’t want Gase floundering in the wind the rest of the season. This way he can set his mind to coaching and not have to worry about being out of a job in the next 7 weeks.

That’s all I got 

Just now, SAR I said:

He can still fire him whenever he wants.  It’s a public vote of confidence so Gase and the team aren’t distracted by it for the rest of the season. It’s not like he’s writing it into his contract.

SAR I

How is it a “vote of confidence” when he flat out said he’s bringing him back next year?  Now he’ll look like an even bigger buffoon if he does a 180.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I agree that the timing is a bit odd.

My only guess is that he doesn’t want Gase floundering in the wind the rest of the season. This way he can set his mind to coaching and not have to worry about being out of a job in the next 7 weeks.

That’s all I got 

NFL = “not for long”.  Every coach works under these conditions.

And are we really worried that Gase is so unprofessional that he’ll be looking around for his next job rather than on trying to impress people by doing as good a job as he can at his current one?  

If so, that would be reason enough to fire him right now! 

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

A good owner addresses the fans and puts out fires if he can.  He just did both.

SAR I

He addressed the fans?  With what?  A middle finger?

He put out fires?!  By saying “we accept excuses and don’t require accountability”?

• Upvote 2

Another way we know CJ made the decision (rather than Joe D) on Gase is that there was an article today that CJ wouldn’t commit to Jamal Adams long term.  He said (rightfully!) that it was Joe D’s call on players.  He said something like he would have a “light touch” on those types of decisions.   But he didn’t say anything similar to that regarding Gase.