Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Patriot Killa

DL youth movement

Recommended Posts

between Kyle Phillips, Fatukasi, Quinnen, Goose, ect we have a really nice set of rotational defenders who can all stuff the run and put pressure on the QB. It’s a nice change of pace from overpaid high round picks who dog it every play. Who has the highest ceiling excluding QW?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

between Kyle Phillips, Fatukasi, Quinnen, Goose, ect we have a really nice set of rotational defenders who can all stuff the run and put pressure on the QB. It’s a nice change of pace from overpaid high round picks who dog it every play. Who has the highest ceiling excluding QW?

Fatukasi 1st then maybe QW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have traded Quinnen Williams at the trade deadline when some team kept coming back and increasing their offer with a monster package of picks.

  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Should have traded Quinnen Williams at the trade deadline when some team kept coming back and increasing their offer with a monster package of picks.

We gave Leonard five years, we can give Quinnen at least two.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Should have traded Quinnen Williams at the trade deadline when some team kept coming back and increasing their offer with a monster package of picks.

If we had traded him and Adams, we would have had 5-6 picks in the 1sr 2 days including 3 1sts. That would have put a real quick stamp on this being Joe Douglas' team. Opportunity lost, imo.

  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

We gave Leonard five years, we can give Quinnen at least two.  

This may have been the best chance to fix the error of picking a DT at #3 overall.  Much  like the Jamal Adams thing. 

Probably never get a better offer for the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

It's almost like it's dumb to draft non-pass rushing DT's in the top 10.  Strange.  

That's why those who do that are now unemployed

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I hate myself for trying to justify the Q pick at the time. What a f*cking disaster. 

That’s what you do when it’s draft night, don’t blame yourself. You just wanted to believe we made a great pick. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they did a great job against the Giants and have been able to generate pressures but these guys, despite being the few bright spots of the season, have not been able to generate sacks. It's definitely nice that we have great depth on the D-line and that we have UDFAs and late round picks playing well and that our D-line is really stout against the run but none of these guys have been able to sack the QB. I'm still holding out hope QW develops into a guy who can do that (he's still a child for crying out loud who can only legally drink his year) but I don;t think we should get our hopes up too high with players we currently have on that D-line. 

Having said that, these guys are all young and under contract and its nice to not worry about having to address the position in FA or the draft this upcoming offseason b/c we need t let these guys develop and see what we have. Apart from QW I think Phillips has the most upside b/c of his quickness and pass rush prowess.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I hate myself for trying to justify the Q pick at the time. What a f*cking disaster. 

BuT hE wAs thE bEsT PLaYeR iN ThE DraFT!!! 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I hate myself for trying to justify the Q pick at the time. What a f*cking disaster. 

 I wanted Josh Allen. He would have made an instant impact. Maybe the league is trending towards realizing that DT's are like running backs, and they are rotational and it's not worth paying them the big dollars at the end of their rookie contract?  Unless of course they're absolute game changers.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To trade Quinnen now would be a cap disaster.   I think you give him a chance.  Trading or cutting Anderson would be cap positive.

If we wanted to trade Quinnen for picks and take the cap hit, this off season he would yield almost as much.

For Adams-similar story.  He would still yield a Rd 1 pick in the off season to a team looking to make a run and potentially give him an extension.   That would be tough for the Jets to swallow.  Probably better to have the pick and a 10 year Center, but Adams could potentially help the Jets make the playoffs next year, and he has already corrupted Chris Johnson.    I am interested in the plan there. 

I would like to hear from someone what kind of defense we are running and what kind of players we need.  We appear to have an Eagles style DL rotation, which actually is the best part of the team now.  That is great.  Then we don’t need many high-paid LBs.  Let’s figure out what to do with Williamson and Jenkins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, varjet said:

To trade Quinnen now would be a cap disaster.   I think you give him a chance.  Trading or cutting Anderson would be cap positive.

If we wanted to trade Quinnen for picks and take the cap hit, this off season he would yield almost as much.

For Adams-similar story.  He would still yield a Rd 1 pick in the off season to a team looking to make a run and potentially give him an extension.   That would be tough for the Jets to swallow.  Probably better to have the pick and a 10 year Center, but Adams could potentially help the Jets make the playoffs next year, and he has already corrupted Chris Johnson.    I am interested in the plan there. 

I would like to hear from someone what kind of defense we are running and what kind of players we need.  We appear to have an Eagles style DL rotation, which actually is the best part of the team now.  That is great.  Then we don’t need many high-paid LBs.  Let’s figure out what to do with Williamson and Jenkins. 

I think it would be a great disaster not to trade him if someone offered a 1st.

He’s not a scheme fit, gets limited reps, isn’t an impact player. You don’t take a player 3rd overall to take years to develop, or is that regress, like in Leonard Williams case. File under wasted pick.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we at least let QW play a year, get him in the gym and let him learn some NFL handfighting ect. before we throw him in the trash? My god he's 21 years old & hurt his ankle early in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Can we at least let QW play a year, get him in the gym and let him learn some NFL handfighting ect. before we throw him in the trash? My god he's 21 years old & hurt his ankle early in the season.

That is not really  the issue.  He will I am sure be a good to decent player but it is a matter of more important holes on the team vs a DT.

If the jets were offered a huge deal as was suggested by one of the national media they missed a chance to fill two or three other holes.

Also as an aside, as the 3rd overall pick in the draft you shouldn;t have to wait and develop a guy for two or three years to be an impact player. 

He will be a useful player down the road no doubt just not as useful as a bunch of picks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

 I wanted Josh Allen. He would have made an instant impact. Maybe the league is trending towards realizing that DT's are like running backs, and they are rotational and it's not worth paying them the big dollars at the end of their rookie contract?  Unless of course they're absolute game changers.

I didn't actually want Q - Like most I was hoping for a trade down to get more picks for the OL - But after he was picked you start listening to the hype guys comparing him to Aaron Donald and these great DT's and you begin to believe. Of course he wasn't going to be Aaron Donald we're the f*cking Jets. We literally drafted the same player 4 years ago ffs.

I imagine he's turn into a decent player but he's shown next to nothing so far in an instant impact position. If he was going to be the dominant force he was sold as we'd have seen it already. Mo, Snacks, Sheldon and Leonard Williams all showed far, far more in their rookie seasons and all eventually underwhelmed. The signs couldn't be much worse.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

I think it would be a great disaster not to trade him if someone offered a 1st.

He’s not a scheme fit, gets limited reps, isn’t an impact player. You don’t take a player 3rd overall to take years to develop, or is that regress, like in Leonard Williams case. File under wasted pick.

Gut feel is the Jets floated that rumor to Schefter to try and pump his value for the offseason. He wasnt drafted by this regime and lets be honest what he's put on tape hasnt been good. Plus the guys they've uncovered in the later rounders seem to be better players.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I didn't actually want Q - Like most I was hoping for a trade down to get more picks for the OL - But after he was picked you start listening to the hype guys comparing him to Aaron Donald and these great DT's and you begin to believe. Of course he wasn't going to be Aaron Donald we're the f*cking Jets. We literally drafted the same player 4 years ago ffs.

I imagine he's turn into a decent player but he's shown next to nothing so far in an instant impact position. If he was going to be the dominant force he was sold as we'd have seen it already. Mo, Snacks, Sheldon and Leonard Williams all showed far, far more in their rookie seasons and all eventually underwhelmed. The signs couldn't be much worse.

Like the other 50% of our penciled-in starters he was injured earlier in the year. He's still very young so... let's see what the coaches can get out of him. He seems to command some decent respect from the rest of the players around him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

Like the other 50% of our penciled-in starters he was injured earlier in the year. He's still very young so... let's see what the coaches can get out of him. He seems to command some decent respect from the rest of the players around him?

He wasn't even penciled in to start the season. Obviously what he'd shown over TC and preseason wasn't overwhelming dominance either.

He wont be a bad player but he wont be an elite one either. He's more of the same at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I hate myself for trying to justify the Q pick at the time. What a f*cking disaster. 

Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery. 

  • Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Fatukasi 1st then maybe QW

I like Phillips who may have cooled a bit, but is still disruptive. I'll also pull for Shepherd if he can keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That is not really  the issue.  He will I am sure be a good to decent player but it is a matter of more important holes on the team vs a DT.

If the jets were offered a huge deal as was suggested by one of the national media they missed a chance to fill two or three other holes.

Also as an aside, as the 3rd overall pick in the draft you shouldn;t have to wait and develop a guy for two or three years to be an impact player. 

He will be a useful player down the road no doubt just not as useful as a bunch of picks.

What monster offer of picks?  Monster defined by who?

And who said he needs 2 or 3 years to develop?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He wasn't even penciled in to start the season. Obviously what he'd shown over TC and preseason wasn't overwhelming dominance either.

He wont be a bad player but he wont be an elite one either. He's more of the same at best.

When you start hearing how Street free agents are not only not getting dominated by Williams but actually handling him, that’s always a terrible sign. I remember the same scenario playing out with early reports on Gholston.

Most likely ANOTHER Draft pick that would have been in much better hands if JN Posters were making the pick....just sad.

And don’t forget that Maccagnan is not only responsible for close to 5 totally busted drafts but he’s ALSO responsible for Gase being named HC.  He was scared about the authority McCarthy was demanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

When you start hearing how Street free agents are not only not getting dominated by Williams but actually handling him, that’s always a terrible sign. I remember the same scenario playing out with early reports on Gholston.

Most likely ANOTHER Draft pick that would have been in much better hands if JN Posters were making the pick....just sad.

And don’t forget that Maccagnan is not only responsible for close to 5 totally busted drafts but he’s ALSO responsible for Gase being named HC.  He was scared about the authority McCarthy was demanding.

I've said it before -- we would've been better off with Joe Beningo making picks from Mel Kiper's best available list over the past 10 years. 

It's absurd and it's also true. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

between Kyle Phillips, Fatukasi, Quinnen, Goose, ect we have a really nice set of rotational defenders who can all stuff the run and put pressure on the QB. It’s a nice change of pace from overpaid high round picks who dog it every play. Who has the highest ceiling excluding QW?

Im not sure we really pressure the QB...but we do stop the run and I am really excited about l=playing younbg talent letting them step up verse getting a bunch of fat on the line,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TNJet said:

Shepherd may end up being a good player. He's flashed of late.

He may.

He’ll also be about 30 when he hits his prime lol

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DTs typically don’t dominate as rookies so it’s too early to write QW off. 
 

That said would really like to see him have a dominant game at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What monster offer of picks?  Monster defined by who?

And who said he needs 2 or 3 years to develop?  

 I agree. Did we ever hear what the offer was? Did somebody come to the Jets with a 1st and two 2nds?

Fatukasi is looking like a very good player. He wasn’t considered such last year. Sometimes it takes guys a little while to adjust to the game and learn. I would not consider trading QW until at least after the 2020 season.  I would want to see him for a fully healthy 2021 season before we decide whether or not he is another Leo. 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...