Rex Ryan: The Jets are still my team, and they will always be my team.

Ohhthepain

13 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

Rex Ryan on Costellos podcast.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/14/listen-to-episode-8-of-gangs-all-here-gase-gets-vote-of-confidence-feat-rex-ryan/amp/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons&__twitter_impression=true

So much passion, and love for this city and fanbase. Bring this man back already...you know for the rebuild in 2021.

Holy sh*t. All you have to do is say you love the Jets and that makes you a favorable and ideal choice for another chance at being a HC. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

He did good taking over a well built Mangini team and then ran it into the ground. Then when on to fail in Buffalo. Not the guy you want leading a rebuild. I’ll always be thankful for those 2 years though. 

Rex ran the Mangini/Tanny team better than Mangini could have.  Problem was, as Rex generated excitement with his championship game appearance, Johnson and Tanny gave Rex more and more control over the roster.  I call Rex an "emotional reactionary" when it comes to players.  Letting Rex have some input on players is a good thing, but giving him total control of the roster guarantees disaster.  

Mangini as GM and director of player personnel with a lawyer behind him for contact language

Rex as HC

Pick an OC who can get you a quick, explosive lead so the defense can pin their ears back. 

• Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Best we’ve ever had in my lifetime.  I’d take him back after Gase fails in a heartbeat. 

Why?  He is half a coach just like most of our other failures.

Do you forget just how awful he was the last three years?

Lets find an actual head coach for once instead of a DC (Rex, Bowles) or an OC (Gase) in disguise.

I'll take Rex back anytime but not as a head coach. If Williams leaves, he can be the DC or a position coach anytime.

My reasoning for this goes back to an interview I believe it was the year before he got fired he was on the radio. He was sitting next to Woody Johnson and blatantly stated that he has failed as a head coach because he's not paying enough attention to the offense as well as the defensive side and everything was going to change the following year.

The following year at the start of the Season he declared he was solely going to worry about the defensive side of the ball and as usual we completely sucked on offense under his watch. I really liked the guy in the beginning but he didn't follow through. He's a great positional coach or a defensive coordinator and that is all.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, isired said:

You can have 2009 and 2010 back, and more, without Rex. Build a strong and deep OL and a stout D. You're welcome.

I like GW, but no defense has been nearly as complex, flashy, exotic and fun to watch as Rex's 2009-2010 concoction. Rex is the only DC that I have seen that can stay a step ahead of BB's offense real time. 

Like I said... Just keep him away from the roster and the offense.  

IMHO, Woody blew it with Rex because he didn't safe guard Rex from his own shortcomings. He did the opposite. He let Rex buy his own groceries.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

He did good taking over a well built Mangini team and then ran it into the ground. Then when on to fail in Buffalo. Not the guy you want leading a rebuild. I’ll always be thankful for those 2 years though. 

Ughh he took mangini’s D was never ranked better than 18th? Rex took that same D and instantly made it number 1.. I don’t think the addition of Bart Scott was that big of reason why  ?

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ughh he took mangini’s D was never ranked better than 18th? Rex took that same D and instantly made it number 1.. I don’t think the addition of Bart Scott was that big of reason why  ?

That is it, exactly.  Mangini great at building the roster.  Rex great at using it.   The fault in both cases was Johnson. He didnt force Mangini to bring in an OC and DC.  Subsequently, he didnt force Rex into accepting the personnel decisions of a qualified GM.  

THAT is all in the hands of the owner.  A top admin has to realize what his people are good at and what they are not able to do.  

Rex as HC + Qualified GM + Good OC = Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Yeah nobody is arguing he can’t coach a defense. Needs to put his ego aside and come back to the league as a DC! Which is what he is qualified for. Not HC

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Nice to see the Cult of Mangenius still lives on.....

• Haha 1