Rex Ryan: The Jets are still my team, and they will always be my team.

Ohhthepain

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Some of this is true, some of it?  Eh. 

Absolute worst at hiring assistants?  Are you talking about guys like Bill Callahan, Tom Moore, Mike Pettine, John DeFillipo, and Anthony Lynn?  I get the whole Jeff Weeks thing, but c'mon.

All good guys.  I especially liked Callahan's blocking schemes.  A combo of zone and man. Very well suited for who they had on the line.  And dont forget that Rex was smart enough not to replace Mike Westhoff. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Bring back Mangini ... That is all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I hope this is a joke.  He was another fraud “defensive guru.”  His defense was at  the bottom of the league and the very next year Rex turned it into number 1 with the same Mangini’s players.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

All good guys.  I especially liked Callahan's blocking schemes.  A combo of zone and man. Very well suited for who they had on the line.  And dont forget that Rex was smart enough not to replace Mike Westhoff. 

The interesting one to me was Sutton.  He was coaching since before some of these guys were alive, and with the Jets for about a decade under Groh, Herm and Mangini.  When Rex came along he was demoted from DC for Pettine and everyone knew it was a Rex D which put him at best 3rd in the pecking order.  They kept him with the "Senior Defensive Assistant" title as LB coach.  He left in 2013 to join Andy Reid as DC in KC.  People referred to what he did as bringing the Rex Ryan D to KC.  It sure wasn't what he was running under Mangini.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Favre never had any intention of staying with the Jets regardless of how good or bad the Jets were.  He had his own agenda.  The Jets were a stepping stone for him to get back into the NFC north and the Vikings.  From what I recall, Favre even had his locker in a separate area when he was with the Jets.  Favre was never really a Jet.

There is proof QED that Mangini was a good personnel guy.   If you look at the moves he made with the Browns, you'll see he was also selecting good players there as well. 

Why did the Mangenius get a player who didn't want to be here if he's so great at building a team?

Maybe Tanny only made the bad moves. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Why did the Mangenius get a player who didn't want to be here if he's so great at building a team?

Maybe Tanny only made the bad moves. 

I'd say they saw it as the best chance to win that season. It was only a one year rental.  I would not call it a bad move.  If Favre's arm didn't fall apart, they would have made the playoffs and Mangini would have gotten another year at least.

Interesting thing to ponder.  Before Favre's arm issues, the Jets offense was very prolific.  They moved the ball and scored points.  Remember who the OC was ??? Yep.  Schotty Jr.  And a season later, the entire fan base was calling for Schotty to be drawn and quartered.

What do you make of that ???

1. Favre was running the Jets offense and not Schotty

or

2.  A good QB can make any OC look good and a bad QB can make any OC look bad

I hope this is a joke.  He was another fraud “defensive guru.”  His defense was at  the bottom of the league and the very next year Rex turned it into number 1 with the same Mangini’s players.

Fail. His defenses brought us to the Championship two years in a row. Rex was a steward beneficiary that destroyed the defense Mangini built.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Like when they went 9-7, 11-5 and 4-2 in the playoffs?

He eventually failed but the whole losses because of his mouth theory is pretty funny without a stitch of proof

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me!!! No thx

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 11/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, Jet Life said:

He did good taking over a well built Mangini team and then ran it into the ground. Then when on to fail in Buffalo. Not the guy you want leading a rebuild. I’ll always be thankful for those 2 years though. 

Mangina team had no QB. The QBs Rex worked with, were the worse back to back starting QBs in Jets history. 

On 11/14/2019 at 11:44 AM, THE BARON said:

I'd love to have Rex back.  2009 and 2010 were the most fun I have had since the Sack Exchange and the lead up to the Mud Bowl.  

Something to consider, though.  I'd only want Rex back under these conditions.

The GM keeps Rex away from the roster and from the offensive side of the ball.  Rex is great at keeping the players motivated, fun for the fans and media and lights out for the defense.  BUT... He's an emotional reactionary where players are concerned and he has almost a contempt for offense.

You don't let him make roster and draft decisions and you make sure you get him a dynamic OC and you make doubly sure the OC runs the offense without any meddling from Rex.

IMHO, you'd have a Super Bowl team and one that is fun as heck to watch and follow...

i think i'm thinking the same thing.  i'm not quite sure why tanny got launched and rex stayed. 

8 hours ago, DRJETS said:

That’s why I never got the Mangini-lovers argument

Shouldn’t it be a bad thing for Mangini that Rex had the defense play better?

12 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That D roster was all REX.  If it were weak in talent, it was all REX. He was absolutely behind the drafting by putting pressure on our "Paper GM" Tanny.  Let the record speak ... he is so far below 500 as a coach.  2 AFC champ games clouds the vision of emotional fans.  REX is below average in almost every category when you look at his entire body of work.

Meanwhile if Rex wanted a DC job next year he’d get one easily while Mangini can’t get a gig as a waterboy

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Fail. His defenses brought us to the Championship two years in a row. Rex was a steward beneficiary that destroyed the defense Mangini built.

Lol.  They were shiiit under Mangini.  Rex made gold out shiiiit. NO?

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Rex blitzed.  Mangini was a conservative clown who had our defenses in the umbrella preven facing Matt Cassell

We had no I mean zero pass rush and he had zero imagination that is why every scrubs QB was made into Joe Montana under Mangini.  Rex came in with no pass rush and boom he was able to fix those deficiencies.  I wonder why?  One was a fraud like our current HC and the other a REAL defensive guru.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:39 AM, Jet Life said:

He did good taking over a well built Mangini team and then ran it into the ground. Then when on to fail in Buffalo. Not the guy you want leading a rebuild. I’ll always be thankful for those 2 years though. 

He also took a crap team with less talent than this 2019 squad and geno smith as his qb and went 8 and 8

• Upvote 1

Intrigued by this thread I decided to take a refresher course and looked up Rex Ryan on Wikipedia. At the time of his tenure as our head coach, I had three kids and moved twice.

Admittedly those first two seasons were absolute Magic and memories. However there is no way to overstate how unbelievably bad everything got and how quickly it plummeted! I mean absolutely ******* horrendous bad!!! Oh the humanity!!

It seems that after the first two seasons Rex was here almost every good coach or player we had was replaced with a downgrade. The offense was a ghost town and a who's who of no names or hasbeens constantly changing direction and never working. I remember now how bad it actually was.

We all absolutely loved Rex when he first got here. By 2011 we were starting Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes ...Mark Sanchez was throwing interceptions and we were losing game after game.. we switched all the coordinators and position coaches the drafting was horrible and all the star players that were on the team either retired or were injured , traded or moved on.

Christ there was the Tim Tebow debacle, The butt fumble, Sanchez getting hurt in the preseason, players going AWOL during training camp, guys quitting on the team in the huddle, and Mike Vick who never even opened the Playbook? Guys eating McDonald's cheeseburgers at practice , John idzik looking like Tom Petty on crack and the infamous idzik 12!! Puke!

Sadly we all wanted that magic back and Rex had absolutely no answers. Woody absolutely loved him and gave him so many chances he was in turn hung out to dry. Rex really became sad to watch at the postgame pressers and was exposed as a buffoon whose team under his watch as head coach steadily declined in every area and aspect. God-awful!!! Lol.

Yes those first two years were amazing and we would all love that magic back especially Woody who comes back next year! The last four years Rex was here we're a miserable downward tailspin. I actually remember feeling bad for this guy wishing we could just put him out of his misery.. and things. And stuff. And that sort of thing. Careful what you wish for..

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Intrigued by this thread I decided to take a refresher course and looked up Rex Ryan on Wikipedia. At the time of his tenure as our head coach, I had three kids and moved twice.

Admittedly those first two seasons were absolute Magic and memories. However there is no way to overstate how unbelievably bad everything got and how quickly it plummeted! I mean absolutely ******* horrendous bad!!! Oh the humanity!!

It seems that after the first two seasons Rex was here almost every good coach or player we had was replaced with a downgrade. The offense was a ghost town and a who's who of no names or hasbeens constantly changing direction and never working. I remember now how bad it actually was.

We all absolutely loved Rex when he first got here. By 2011 we were starting Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes ...Mark Sanchez was throwing interceptions and we were losing game after game.. we switched all the coordinators and position coaches the drafting was horrible and all the star players that were on the team either retired or were injured , traded or moved on.

Christ there was the Tim Tebow debacle, The butt fumble, Sanchez getting hurt in the preseason, players going AWOL during training camp, guys quitting on the team in the huddle, and Mike Vick who never even opened the Playbook? Guys eating McDonald's cheeseburgers at practice , John idzik looking like Tom Petty on crack and the infamous idzik 12!! Puke!

Sadly we all wanted that magic back and Rex had absolutely no answers. Woody absolutely loved him and gave him so many chances he was in turn hung out to dry. Rex really became sad to watch at the postgame pressers and was exposed as a buffoon whose team under his watch as head coach steadily declined in every area and aspect. God-awful!!! Lol.

Yes those first two years were amazing and we would all love that magic back especially Woody who comes back next year! The last four years Rex was here we're a miserable downward tailspin. I actually remember feeling bad for this guy wishing we could just put him out of his misery.. and things. And stuff. And that sort of thing. Careful what you wish for..

Great post...  not only his last 4 years here, but his next 2 in Buffalo.  Ive never seen so many fans yearn for a man who's body of work is so far below 500.  It's emotional, absolutely. Not analytical at all.  The Johnson make decisions like this. Good teams don't. I don't even think he is an above average DC anymore. He is good.. not great. 

• Sympathy 1

I cannot believe how impossibly shallow this fan base is. Rex is in fact the third BEST HC this organization has ever had. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not isn't relevant, but it is still a fact.

We also talk about the importance of coaching experience and coaches learning from their first experience as a HC. Rex has that And yet somehow you hard headed dingbats can't see that.

And last but not least, Rex always had one side of the ball mastered. He could play defense with anyone including Bellichick. We talked about how great it was when Bowles was hired because of his tremendous defensive pedigree. That turd couldn't even get out of the gate even on defense. Rex had to suffer with a depleted roster in 2014, virtually devoid of talent, and yet the Jets lost to the eventual SB champions TWICE in that season by a combined total of three points.

Rex, bluster or no, was ALWAYS just a decent and structured GM away from providing JETS fans with constant playoff teams and a constant contender to win the SB. He made some mistakes, WTF, sh*t happens. With Joe Douglas as HC Jets fans could finally have that winning combination.

43 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I cannot believe how impossibly shallow this fan base is. Rex is in fact the third BEST HC this organization has ever had. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not isn't relevant, but it is still a fact.

We also talk about the importance of coaching experience and coaches learning from their first experience as a HC. Rex has that And yet somehow you hard headed dingbats can't see that.

And last but not least, Rex always had one side of the ball mastered. He could play defense with anyone including Bellichick. We talked about how great it was when Bowles was hired because of his tremendous defensive pedigree. That turd couldn't even get out of the gate even on defense. Rex had to suffer with a depleted roster in 2014, virtually devoid of talent, and yet the Jets lost to the eventual SB champions TWICE in that season by a combined total of three points.

Rex, bluster or no, was ALWAYS just a decent and structured GM away from providing JETS fans with constant playoff teams and a constant contender to win the SB. He made some mistakes, WTF, sh*t happens. With Joe Douglas as HC Jets fans could finally have that winning combination.

So a well below average HC was our third best.  Agreed.  That speaks more about the Jets than the fans.  One side of the ball mastered? He pushed on the GM.    Ravens knew to not promote him up.   Ask any Buffalo fan what they thought.  SAD that our fan base chooses to elevate this clown for literally starting our downward spiral.  

15 hours ago, DRJETS said:

We had no I mean zero pass rush and he had zero imagination that is why every scrubs QB was made into Joe Montana under Mangini.  Rex came in with no pass rush and boom he was able to fix those deficiencies.  I wonder why?  One was a fraud like our current HC and the other a REAL defensive guru.

Matt Cassell owes Mangini $50 million

Jamarcus Russell also had his best game ever facing Mangenius

12 hours ago, Jet hustle said:

He also took a crap team with less talent than this 2019 squad and geno smith as his qb and went 8 and 8

Probably the most underrated job I’ve seen done by a jet coach ever

That roster was being predicted to go 0-16  and had Geno as the starter at qb

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

So a well below average HC was our third best.  Agreed.  That speaks more about the Jets than the fans.  One side of the ball mastered? He pushed on the GM.    Ravens knew to not promote him up.   Ask any Buffalo fan what they thought.  SAD that our fan base chooses to elevate this clown for literally starting our downward spiral.  

If Baltimore knew not to promote him, they wouldn't have given him an interview for the HC job when John Harbaugh eventually won the job. So that assertion is ridiculous and has no basis in fact. And once again......

Do you trust the GM or don't you?

If you trust Joe Douglas, then you trust his opinion on the HC. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Rex Ryan is high in Joe's list assuming he eventually does hire a HC? Joe has a guaranteed six year contract, so at some point he'll be firing Gase and looking for another HC. Rex was good HC when he had the talent to work with. Joe's here to provide that.

10 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

If Baltimore knew not to promote him, they wouldn't have given him an interview for the HC job when John Harbaugh eventually won the job. So that assertion is ridiculous and has no basis in fact. And once again......

Do you trust the GM or don't you?

If you trust Joe Douglas, then you trust his opinion on the HC. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Rex Ryan is high in Joe's list assuming he eventually does hire a HC? Joe has a guaranteed six year contract, so at some point he'll be firing Gase and looking for another HC. Rex was good HC when he had the talent to work with. Joe's here to provide that.

Gave him an interview is politics. They went to a DB coach over their DC of 8 years.  REX is not HC material unless you want to be mediocre. 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Probably the most underrated job I’ve seen done by a jet coach ever

That roster was being predicted to go 0-16  and had Geno as the starter at qb

Yep... aggrivating all the hate everyone has toward Rex... end of the day he was hands down one of the better coaches weve had in our franchises history.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Gave him an interview is politics. They went to a DB coach over their DC of 8 years.  REX is not HC material unless you want to be mediocre. 

You claiming Baltimore interviewing him is POLITICS, is BS that only a politician would come up with. In fact, you should become one of you're going to try and shovel that crap.

And for that matter, let's dig deeper into your original post. You say that Rex being the third BEST HC says more about the Jets? Well, the two above him...one was responsible for the only SB the Jets ever won, and the other is widely considered to be possibly one of the 3 very best HC's in the history of the game. So Rex being third puts him in pretty impressive territory. So once again you're talking through your you-know-what.