Rex Ryan: The Jets are still my team, and they will always be my team.

Ohhthepain

Just now, Warfish said:

No, Rock Bottom is watching legions of Jets Fans fanboi over the just-fired failed Dolphins Coach we just hired and watched go 2-7 in spectacular fail fashion.

The 2009 and 2010 Jet Teams are the reasons many of us are still fans.   They were ultimately successful, fun to watch and played with a style and character that we would love to see today.  The OL was strong, they ran well, they stopped the run, they hit people, and they played hard.  

But Rex got greedy and demanded more control, and the fools that owned the team gave it to them.

The Jets will find their way, and stop the planes from flying, when they can put a team on the field again that inspire the fans like those 2009-2010 TEAMS.  Yes, TEAMS.  Not Sanchez, Schottenheimer and their faults, but the entire TEAM.  They were great TEAMS that were fun to watch.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

rex ran a GREAT defense while here-I am certain if Rex had the defense 2-3 years ago when it was littered with  first round picks our D would have been a top 5 d

rex took us further than any coach in the modern era

I dont get the Rex hate by some that defend Gase-Rex at least knew "his" side of the ball well-Gase knows no side of the ball

Rex was bad for the offense but at the same time his teams won-pefect world you have rex run the d a guy like norv run the offense and then a real head coach in place

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

The 2009 and 2010 Jet Teams are the reasons many of us are still fans.

The 1985 and 1986 teams are why I am a fan. ?

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets will find their way, and stop the planes from flying, when they can put a team on the field again that inspire the fans like those 2009-2010 TEAMS.  Yes, TEAMS.  Not Sanchez, Schottenheimer and their faults, but the entire TEAM.  They were great TEAMS that were fun to watch.

We've fallen a very long way from that era in terms of overall and specific team talent.  A decade+ of very poor drafting decisions has that effect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Yeah nobody is arguing he can’t coach a defense. Needs to put his ego aside and come back to the league as a DC! Which is what he is qualified for. Not HC

But he went back to back afc championships with 1 of worst qbs in nfl lol.. He beat top teams in playoffs on the road as underdog. If Sanchez wasn’t so dam bad, we could have gotten a bye, home games.. Not easy for a team to make  super bowl as a wild card.. That bye. Is crucial for teams to re-charge at end of season 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

That is it, exactly.  Mangini great at building the roster.  Rex great at using it.   The fault in both cases was Johnson. He didnt force Mangini to bring in an OC and DC.  Subsequently, he didnt force Rex into accepting the personnel decisions of a qualified GM.  

THAT is all in the hands of the owner.  A top admin has to realize what his people are good at and what they are not able to do.  

Rex as HC + Qualified GM + Good OC = Super Bowl. 

Exactly. Should have fired Dopey mike T and promoted Mangini to gm. Mike T listened to his HCs, mangini was not a great coach, but he could build a roster, was smart to push for OL rebuild.. Rex just needed a good gm, to make smart picks and tell Rex to STFU and just coach 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nice to see the Cult of Mangenius still lives on.....

No Mangenius cult member, but after watching Bowles for so long, and now Gase getting year 2, I miss the days when we fired coaches for 2 winning seasons in 3 years! Seems like our standards have fallen even lower

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nice to see the Cult of Mangenius still lives on.....

No Mangenius cult member, but after watching Bowles for so long, and now Gase getting year 2, I miss the days when we fired coaches for 2 winning seasons in 3 years! Seems like our standards have fallen even lower

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I'd love to have Rex back.  2009 and 2010 were the most fun I have had since the Sack Exchange and the lead up to the Mud Bowl.  

Something to consider, though.  I'd only want Rex back under these conditions.

The GM keeps Rex away from the roster and from the offensive side of the ball.  Rex is great at keeping the players motivated, fun for the fans and media and lights out for the defense.  BUT... He's an emotional reactionary where players are concerned and he has almost a contempt for offense.

You don't let him make roster and draft decisions and you make sure you get him a dynamic OC and you make doubly sure the OC runs the offense without any meddling from Rex.

IMHO, you'd have a Super Bowl team and one that is fun as heck to watch and follow...

So then just make him a DC

People on this forum seem to hate Rex, I don't understand why. He was the best coach since Weeb, certainly the best in my lifetime.

He gave me the best Jets memories of my life time, and some of the best Jets teams I've ever personally seen. I love Rex

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Still my coach and always will be.

I remember the goosebumps when he called out Belichick in his opening presser. F*cking gangster. The league pretty much legislated his defensive qualities out of the league which killed him here and beyond. If we'd have had a QB in those first two years we'd have been the best team in the league bar none. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

rex needed to be surrounded with a guy like a Joe Douglas seems to be, or a Strong willed GM who he had to answer to. 

The system was flawed from the start only because rex is such a strong willed alpha type character, and having equal say in power to the GM like it is structured here with the jets let a lot of wiggle room in.  Paired with a strong minded GM who is in charge that KNOWS football like JD does would be a great recipe for a Rex led squad.  Also a long time tenured OC with a track record of success. 

Do i think he's a great HC? No i think the antics and rhetoric he puts out there can get old after a while, but i do think if he learned to tone it down sometimes, surrounded himself with a great Offensive staff, and had a smart GM he answered to, he'd be extremely successful. 

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

"We would already be winning if I did. Of course. That was my team and it’s still my team. That’s how I feel about it. Buffalo I got fired for going .500, I get it. I never felt like that was my team. The Jets were my team and it will always be my team."

Just love how he washes his hands of his failure in Buffalo by basically saying his heart wasn't in it anyway.

Such passion. Much leadership.

3 hours ago, Jet Life said:

He did good taking over a well built Mangini team and then ran it into the ground. Then when on to fail in Buffalo. Not the guy you want leading a rebuild. I’ll always be thankful for those 2 years though. 

Neither were GMs of the Jets

Rex Ryan was a horrible head coach for the Jets. He gassed up the opposing team every week... He ran his mouth before every game and then lost. Coaches don't do that in the NFL, they don't gas up the other team on purpose... Rex Ryan didn't know when to keep his mouth shut that's why he's not a coach

3 hours ago, Jet Life said:

He did good taking over a well built Mangini team and then ran it into the ground. Then when on to fail in Buffalo. Not the guy you want leading a rebuild. I’ll always be thankful for those 2 years though. 

So, by that theory - This is a man that can win with the right players...

Hire him and keep him away from personnel decision or basically have a strong GM in place that won't be affraid of him.

I have faith we can win with him with the right talent.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Both had input on the draft and roster decisions,and Rex even got his lovely hand picked choice, John Connor. Terminator baby!!!

Neither were GMs and Jets fans like to credit their HCs with either running the draft or ruining it.  Yeah, Rex sat at the draft and screamed John Conner and Tanny gave it to him a bottom of the draft pick, not the same as building the teams

13 minutes ago, jeTMAC said:

Rex Ryan was a horrible head coach for the Jets. He gassed up the opposing team every week... He ran his mouth before every game and then lost. Coaches don't do that in the NFL, they don't gas up the other team on purpose... Rex Ryan didn't know when to keep his mouth shut that's why he's not a coach

Like when they went 9-7, 11-5 and 4-2 in the playoffs?

He eventually failed but the whole losses because of his mouth theory is pretty funny without a stitch of proof