Ohhthepain

Rex Ryan: The Jets are still my team, and they will always be my team.

BTW, don't be surprised if Rex Ryan does come back to be our HC? Rex and Joe probably know each other and have a pretty decent relationship from their time with the Ravens.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Rex bloviating is a lot to take sometimes.

The guy actually talked about a metaphorical post game stunt if he beat the Giants where he was going to bite into an apple during his post game presser.

He actually stated Gase would have won back the fans if he bit into an apple during his post game presser. 

Rex...

Gase would have gotten destroyed on twitter if he pulled that stunt after beating the 2-8 Giants. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Rex was better than Bowles and better than Gase so far. Not saying much but there it is.

Shudder to think, but true.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

The guy actually talked about a metaphorical post game stunt if he beat the Giants where he was going to bite into an apple during his post game presser.

He actually stated Gase would have won back the fans if he bit into an apple during his post game presser. 

Rex...

Gase would have gotten destroyed on twitter if he pulled that stunt after beating the 2-8 Giants. 

Rex? Eating a piece of fruit?

NAHHHHHHH.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Rex...

Bravado is by far his biggest weakness. He’d probably have been a great coach if his mind wasn’t clouded by his massive ego. And he had the benefit of a competent front office. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, isired said:

You can have 2009 and 2010 back, and more, without Rex. Build a strong and deep OL and a stout D. You're welcome.

Oh, that’s all?  Easy. Can you tell Joe Douglas to just build a strong and deep offense of line into build a stout defense? 🤪

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ohhthepain said:

Leader of men.

Man that gave me chills. Would love that kind of leadership right now. He’s got “it” that’s for sure. That’s the confidence of a guy who grew up in the pros and knows that his team knows what he is talking about. Look at the talent we had in that room. Just build the guy a competent ******* team and he would be fine. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

BTW, don't be surprised if Rex Ryan does come back to be our HC? Rex and Joe probably know each other and have a pretty decent relationship from their time with the Ravens.

Interested Spock GIF by Star Trek

I wouldn’t be against it.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Not even worth wasting time on, this will never happen.  

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is completely insane and manufactured from pure fandom.

Mangini was 8-3 until Favre’s arm gave out. Rex did well the first two years but that didn’t give him roster control. Tanny was known for being a push over. It’s really that simple. 

Getting Mangini as a personnel man is fantasy as well as Rex as HC or DC or anything affiliated with NYJ. 

Not to shoot down your hopes and prayers but it’s just not ideal nor’ realistic.

Tanny was a pushover for who/what ??? Players demands ??? Wooody's orders ??? The way I saw it, Tanny was taking his orders from Rex.  The end result was a roster without enough good football players.  Who other than Rex would you say caused the talent level to go from the excellent 2009 roster to the disaster we saw after Idzik's first and last year ??? 

I agree that having Rex back working under a strong GM is not realistic, but it is *absolutely* ideal 

20 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Bravado is by far his biggest weakness. He’d probably have been a great coach if his mind wasn’t clouded by his massive ego. And he had the benefit of a competent front office. 

Wha you perceive as ego is actually insecurity 

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Tanny was a pushover for who/what ??? Players demands ??? Wooody's orders ??? The way I saw it, Tanny was taking his orders from Rex.  The end result was a roster without enough good football players.  Who other than Rex would you say caused the talent level to go from the excellent 2009 roster to the disaster we saw after Idzik's first and last year ??? 

I agree that having Rex back working under a strong GM is not realistic, but it is *absolutely* ideal 

He often gave into coaches preference rather than his draft philosophy. His draft philosophy was also not very good and his decision making was very suspect but I don’t think we take Quinton Coples in 2012 if not for Rex. 

8 hours ago, Ohhthepain said:

Rex Ryan on Costellos podcast.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/14/listen-to-episode-8-of-gangs-all-here-gase-gets-vote-of-confidence-feat-rex-ryan/amp/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons&__twitter_impression=true

So much passion, and love for this city and fanbase. Bring this man back already...you know for the rebuild in 2021.

Rex will always have a place in the heart of every Jets fan.  The most successful Jets HC in my lifetime (true defensive genius unlike our fraud “offensive genius”)and definitely the most passionate Jets HC ever.  If the Jets would had retained Favre the Jets probably win the division and SB.  That was the year Sanchez had 12 TD 20 Int.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He often gave into coaches preference rather than his draft philosophy. His draft philosophy was also not very good and his decision making was very suspect but I don’t think we take Quinton Coples in 2012 if not for Rex. 

Agree fully.   Right in line with what I have been saying.  Rex was allowed by Tanny to make bad roster decisions.  Rex would have done a lot better for a lot longer with a strong GM.  Though, fixing that was problematic.  The GM should hire his own coach, not have a HC forced on him.  Woody forced Idzik to keep Rex and Idzik was keen to get rid of him by means of sabotage. 

But now that Douglas is the GM, he can bring Rex back in 2020 as *his* HC.

Yeah... I know... And you are right.  Fandom oh my part :( 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

So we’re going to fly a “Bring Back Rex” banner over the stadium now?

Count me in as a contributor to that cause... 

9 hours ago, peebag said:

Do you want the kick in the nuts now or just save it for later?

kick in nuts GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, that’s all?  Easy. Can you tell Joe Douglas to just build a strong and deep offense of line into build a stout defense?
I know, but you'd think these guys would be able to look around the league and see, same as us, that a weak OL with no depth is a recipe for disaster. I get it that you're going to run into situations here and there but when you're going on 10 years with a sh*t OL it's a problem.

On the plus side, if the demands made to the Cowboys in the Adams negotiations tells us anything, it's that JD knows this is a priority.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Rex>Bowles>Gase. That is all. 

Agreed but the majority here seem to forget, after 2010, teams carved up REX defense like it was butter.  I remember a Harbaugh 49ers team when they put in an unknown QB named Kaepernick. It was clear that REX had not planned on it and our D looked helpless. same with the Dolphins. Rex is old school, blitz, strong CB type defense. 

The game has become too complex for him. the Ravens knew it and passed on him.  The Bills defense got worse under him. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Or Kyle Wilson.   Gronkowski was available but we take Kyle Wilson.  

38 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Agreed but the majority here seem to forget, after 2010, teams carved up REX defense like it was butter.  I remember a Harbaugh 49ers team when they put in an unknown QB named Kaepernick. It was clear that REX had not planned on it and our D looked helpless. same with the Dolphins. Rex is old school, blitz, strong CB type defense. 

The game has become too complex for him. the Ravens knew it and passed on him.  The Bills defense got worse under him. 

That wasn't a scheme issue, it was lack of manpower.  By 2011, the D-Line was lacking quality and the LB's were slow.  At the third level of the defense was Eric Smith. Despite his limitations, Rex was enamored with his football intellect and grasp of his scheme. Remember Smith trying to catch Kepernick ??? True, Rex was one of the few who liked overload blitzing with press-man coverage, but that was far from all he had in his repertoire. You would regularly see Rex run uncounted numbers of formations and coverages.  It was endless and it wasn't always man coverage. What you got post snap was never given away with what you saw pre snap.  Rex simply didn't have the horses.  His own fault for making bad roster decisions, but you also have to blame Tanny for letting it happen and Woody for not recognizing that his GM was being run by his HC.  If the roster revolved and evolved instead of devolving, they would have won at least two more games that year and gotten another wild card...

Neither were GMs and Jets fans like to credit their HCs with either running the draft or ruining it.  Yeah, Rex sat at the draft and screamed John Conner and Tanny gave it to him a bottom of the draft pick, not the same as building the teams

Nonsense, you could clearly see the difference in the players and types of players being drafted. Tanny was not picking players at all, which is his flaw as a GM. Tanny was and is a numbers guy. He knows nothing about scouting. That led to guys like Richardson, Pryor, Coples, and Wilson being drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Nonsense, you could clearly see the difference in the players and types of players being drafted. Tanny was not picking players at all, which is his flaw as a GM. Tanny was and is a numbers guy. He knows nothing about scouting. That led to guys like Richardson, Pryor, Coples, and Wilson being drafted.

What a bunch of nonsense. 

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

That wasn't a scheme issue, it was lack of manpower.  By 2011, the D-Line was lacking quality and the LB's were slow.  At the third level of the defense was Eric Smith. Despite his limitations, Rex was enamored with his football intellect and grasp of his scheme. Remember Smith trying to catch Kepernick ??? True, Rex was one of the few who liked overload blitzing with press-man coverage, but that was far from all he had in his repertoire. You would regularly see Rex run uncounted numbers of formations and coverages.  It was endless and it wasn't always man coverage. What you got post snap was never given away with what you saw pre snap.  Rex simply didn't have the horses.  His own fault for making bad roster decisions, but you also have to blame Tanny for letting it happen and Woody for not recognizing that his GM was being run by his HC.  If the roster revolved and evolved instead of devolving, they would have won at least two more games that year and gotten another wild card...

That D roster was all REX.  If it were weak in talent, it was all REX. He was absolutely behind the drafting by putting pressure on our "Paper GM" Tanny.  Let the record speak ... he is so far below 500 as a coach.  2 AFC champ games clouds the vision of emotional fans.  REX is below average in almost every category when you look at his entire body of work.

10 hours ago, isired said:

On the plus side, if the demands made to the Cowboys in the Adams negotiations tells us anything, it's that JD knows this is a priority.

The collective IQ of JN is around 82 and straddled with numerous personality disorders. Yet, even we know OL is top priority. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Mangini left such a good situation that Favre retired his way out of it.

F*cking revisionists.

Haha I know

Fun fact: The 2009 Jets had 7 different starters from the previous year including QB

But it was “Mangini’s team”

088526F4-C686-44F1-8DEE-45F6534723DE.thumb.jpeg.56719be9ff3805a8940060bd2e1937b4.jpeg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Love the nonsensical statement that Tanny was a numbers guy so he didnt draft.  You left out D'Brick, Mangold and all the other offensive players Tanny drafted.  Those fit the Mangini, Rex types of players, you meant D?  

You draft players, your name and career are on the line.  Yet you think Tanny put his name and job on the line for Rex or whoever.  You draft someone its and thats your job, its your pick to matter who whispered in your ear

And Tanny I guess has fooled everyone.  He was hired by one team to oversee their team because he was a numbers guy and is on ESPN as one of their personnel analysts because hes a numbers guy too.  

Reality check. Rex is a great guy but not HC material. He can be my DC and give the pre-game speeches, but I do NOT want him running my team. He was the absolute worst at hiring assistant coaches loading up the staff with friends. He only coached half the team. His input on draft day was reliably disastrous. I could go on, but you get the point.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That D roster was all REX.  If it were weak in talent, it was all REX. He was absolutely behind the drafting by putting pressure on our "Paper GM" Tanny.  Let the record speak ... he is so far below 500 as a coach.  2 AFC champ games clouds the vision of emotional fans.  REX is below average in almost every category when you look at his entire body of work.

Sigh... We are in agreement.  All the pro-Rex fans agree.  He was good at instilling a positive, fun approach to the game in his team, he was good at running the defense, he was good at entertaining the media and he was a disaster at picking players.  That is why I muse over the idea of Rex as HC with a strong GM to save him from himself... 

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Reality check. Rex is a great guy but not HC material. He can be my DC and give the pre-game speeches, but I do NOT want him running my team. He was the absolute worst at hiring assistant coaches loading up the staff with friends. He only coached half the team. His input on draft day was reliably disastrous. I could go on, but you get the point.

Some of this is true, some of it?  Eh. 

Absolute worst at hiring assistants?  Are you talking about guys like Bill Callahan, Tom Moore, Mike Pettine, John DeFillipo, and Anthony Lynn?  I get the whole Jeff Weeks thing, but c'mon.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Mangini left such a good situation that Favre retired his way out of it.

F*cking revisionists.

Favre never had any intention of staying with the Jets regardless of how good or bad the Jets were.  He had his own agenda.  The Jets were a stepping stone for him to get back into the NFC north and the Vikings.  From what I recall, Favre even had his locker in a separate area when he was with the Jets.  Favre was never really a Jet.

There is proof QED that Mangini was a good personnel guy.   If you look at the moves he made with the Browns, you'll see he was also selecting good players there as well. 

• Upvote 2