Who stays on the OL in 2020?

We're heading toward a full teardown of the OLine in 2020. With Douglas' history as an OL and the massive turnover expected, I think it's the most fascinating story line heading into next year. So who from the current team actually stays? 

Free Agents: 

Ryan Kalil

Kelvin Beachum

Tom Compton

Brent Qvale

Alex Lewis

Brandon Shell

Holdovers:

Jonotthan Harrison

Brian Winters

Conor McDermott

Chuma Edoga

Winters is probably a cap casualty, but that is...the entire starting OL that would be gone. We can talk about who we can target in FA/draft all we like, but figuring out who stays is going to be big for next year. 

My guess? I think Beachum comes back for one more year, Alex Lewis is re-signed, and a new center and right guard are brought in, leaving Edoga at RT. 

What say you?

• Upvote 2

Move on from Winters. 

Make fair offers to Compton and Lewis, depending on who looks better.  Sign the first one that accepts.  

Sign Beachum as a backup LT, with an upgrade if he ends up starting, similar to what they did with Ben Ijalana. 

Figure out who is better of Qvale and Shell and offer one of them reasonable money.  

I don’t know how many new OL they can find.   I think we need to keep a few of them. 

• Upvote 1

Compton, Lewis, Shell, Harrison, and Edoga. They will service as starters, or serviceable backups...

Plan should be to try and get Thomas, but if he's already taken, with some good trade down scenarios, and a possible Adams trade we should be able to get Biadasz, Wirfs, Little, or Bredeson with the extra picks. If we can bag 3 out of the 5 of them, that should put the OL in decent shape. I'm not sure we should spend 15mil a year for Scherff, unless we don't bag a very good guard, center and tackle in the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I'd keep these if the $$$ is economical. 

Kelvin Beachum (is an average starter on the outside and can be a top notch back-up

Tom Compton (not stellar, but not a scrub)

Brandon Shell (potential to be a better than average starter)

Edoga (may be a good inside guy after all is said and done but not LT.  but he can be a good full time player with a bit of development)

I think generally speaking, we're going to have to swallow 1-2 of these guys as starters next year. There's just too many positions to replace in one offseason. 

So Beachum as a placeholder for a younger guy, Lewis at guard and Edoga at RT seems to make sense to me. Then you can go nuts in FA on C + G, then draft future replacements. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Every single one of those players is well below average. Can’t replace them all in an offseason though, so...

Beachum (resign) and Harrison stay and compete, hopefully both are beaten out by rookies or FA’s.

Shell (resign) stays as a backup.

Edoga a developmental guy, maybe even PS. 

Unreal haha...you’re right too.. just step back and think about that for a second.  Maccagnan thought so little of protecting the team’s potential Franchise QB, while he was busy drafting mostly redundant “Best Player in the Draft” to protect his own job, that you have a guy who really belongs on the PS who was tasked this year to protect Darnold’s blind side (and playing out of position at that).

Like someone suggested.  Darnold’s parents should just take him home and tell the Jets he’ll come back when his family is satisfied that he isn’t in grave danger anymore due to a “GM” who belonged in a Remedial School, and an “Owner” you wouldn’t ask to buy a quart of milk for you on the corner because he most likely would bring back the wrong change.  Who if his last name wasn’t Johnson would barely make minimum wage.

• Upvote 3

Beachum (Darnold has looked better since beachum returned. If the Jets draft Thomas next year, Beachum is a good placeholder while Thomas finds his feet)

Winters (his contract is cheaper than what the Jets would have to pay to find an equivalent in free agency)

Shell (competes with Edoga for reps at right tackle)

Harrison (either starts at centre or competes for reps with a draftee)

Lewis (cheap depth)

Edoga (assuming he doesn't fall on his face over the last few games this year, can continue to develop)

When the Jets see where they are drafting, they may be able to make an executive decision as to whether to re-sign Beachum-if they are picking top 5, the chances of drafting a starting LT are probably pretty good.  

My gut tells me to re-sign Beachum as cheap as possible and keep him as a backup if necessary.  Also gives them the flexibility to trade down.  If Beachum could play RT in a pinch, its a no brainer.  He is not a great run blocker, but I think the RT/LT difference there is less than it used to be.  

Edoga, Lewis, Harrison, Beachum and Compton. Winters, Kalil and Shell are gone.  Shell lost his job to a rookie. If picking top 5 then try and trade out for more picks and land the best left tackle possible and next best Wide Receiver.   You could stay put and grab Thomas or Jeudy, but this team needs so much help that its quantity over top quality.  The only player I make the pick for is Chase Young, game changing rusher like Miller.  

Beachum made about ~8 million per year during his last contract

Shell will be looking to get paid after his rookie contract. 

Alex Lewis was ~ 2 million per year, he will want much more.

Winters has a 7.2 million cap hit next year.  He's definitely gone.

None of those guys are really worth the money they're going to ask for in FA except maybe Lewis.  If you look at production per dollar spent, it's pretty abysmal and its very hard to get relatively young guys to take a paycut (and they won't) until after they test free agency.

So yea, its going to basically be Edoga and a completely new team.  Expect them to go after a high priced LT as their one big splash FA signing, and the rest will likely be super old vets on their final one year contracts to try to keep prices down and possibly a large amount of rookies (b/c we are really badly cap strapped due to the amount of people we will have to replace via FA).

When you actually sit down and start putting numbers in to this mess, you quickly see just how dire the cap situation is.  Next year's team is going to be even more paper thin than this years, as we will necessarily need to include a huge amount of rookies and FAs signed post draft.

The question isn't just who you would want back. I mean, at this point you would want as much depth as you can get. However, you don't want to overpay. 

Winters you cut b/c he is constantly injured (even though he plays through it) and his play suffers from it. He also frees up a lot of cap space- so he's a goner. That's why you re-sign Compton and Lewis. Both have looked decent and just as good if not better than Winters. IF you can get them for reasonable money you sign BOTH of them AND draft a Guard for the future. Remember, both Lewis and Compton have some experience playing OT. 

Shell- would be nice to bring him back for depth but I think he will cost too much. I know he is a 5th round pick but I view him as a bust. I don't see him getting better than JAG RT and I'm not giving him a long term deal- that's exactly what he will want. He wont be cheap. I think I pass on Shell. 

Beachem- This will be a really interesting decision. Beachem will not be cheap. I don't think we can assume that we can get him for a year just because its convenient for the Jets. He may want a 3 year deal and he may fall off a cliff next year. That, and injuries are my main concerns bringing Beachem back. If the Jets are in a position to draft Andrew Thomas and plan on doing so I let him walk. I know its risky to rely on a rookie but I think Andrew Thomas (or even Wirfs) can step in and start at LT in the NFL. And then, of course, I'm hoping they draft Biadasz. He's my new favorite name in the draft and I'm pushing for the Jets to address the C position by snagging him however they can. 

If this is how we end up addressing the o-line, we will need to go after OT depth and at least one more OG starter, IMO. If its Scherff, that's great, if its another vet starter, that's also fine. 

LT- A.Thomas/Wirfs 

LG- Lewis/Compton/Rookie

C- Biadazs/Harrison

RG- Scherff or FA vet/Lewis/Compton/Rookie 

RT- Edoga/FA vet

2 hours ago, Hael said:

Beachum made about ~8 million per year during his last contract

Shell will be looking to get paid after his rookie contract. 

Alex Lewis was ~ 2 million per year, he will want much more.

Winters has a 7.2 million cap hit next year.  He's definitely gone.

None of those guys are really worth the money they're going to ask for in FA except maybe Lewis.  If you look at production per dollar spent, it's pretty abysmal and its very hard to get relatively young guys to take a paycut (and they won't) until after they test free agency.

So yea, its going to basically be Edoga and a completely new team.  Expect them to go after a high priced LT as their one big splash FA signing, and the rest will likely be super old vets on their final one year contracts to try to keep prices down and possibly a large amount of rookies (b/c we are really badly cap strapped due to the amount of people we will have to replace via FA).

When you actually sit down and start putting numbers in to this mess, you quickly see just how dire the cap situation is.  Next year's team is going to be even more paper thin than this years, as we will necessarily need to include a huge amount of rookies and FAs signed post draft.

Well, I think you will see a lot of those guys you are talking about having to get paid- walk. I don't see them going after a high-priced LT when there might be A.Thomas sitting there in the draft. It would put them in a really tough spot. Trading down in the draft is hard and I don't know why JD would pass on a premiere LT prospect in the draft for a high priced FA LT (who probably won't even sign here). But I agree. Its going to be Harrison, Edoga, maybe they offer Compton and Lewis cheap deals and otherwise a whole new team on the o-line. however, I think it will be mostly rookies- hopefully polished early round rookies who can actually step in and start. And yes, JD will offer bottom barrel vets cheap deals to serve as backups.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

We're heading toward a full teardown of the OLine in 2020. With Douglas' history as an OL and the massive turnover expected, I think it's the most fascinating story line heading into next year. So who from the current team actually stays? 

Free Agents: 

Ryan Kalil

Kelvin Beachum

Tom Compton

Brent Qvale

Alex Lewis

Brandon Shell

Holdovers:

Jonotthan Harrison

Brian Winters

Conor McDermott

Chuma Edoga

Winters is probably a cap casualty, but that is...the entire starting OL that would be gone. We can talk about who we can target in FA/draft all we like, but figuring out who stays is going to be big for next year. 

My guess? I think Beachum comes back for one more year, Alex Lewis is re-signed, and a new center and right guard are brought in, leaving Edoga at RT. 

What say you?

the oline seems to play better with beachum.  if he does come back has to be for low money.  as for the rest, lewis and edoga should stay.  we'll see if compton can be the answer at rg.  the rest are pick and choose for depth.