What changes would you like the league to implement during the next CBA

RonaldJet

I’ll have at it:

Reduce the # of preseason games (2 pre season 18 regular season games with two bye weeks)

Eliminate the franchise tag (In a salary cap sport there is no need for it-should benefit players and owners)

Reduce the draft entry age by a year (would destroy the blue blood programs in CFB which I am all for) 

• Upvote 3

Do away with forcing season ticket holders to buy meaningless pre-season tickets. 

Shorten the Season to 14 games and eliminate the by week's.

Sign players to 1year contracts only with no salary cap.

Outlaw PSL's and make pre-season games free.

No more games played overseas. They are pointless and monotonous

Yeah I know none of this will ever happen and it's all wishful thinking but it's really how it should be

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

42 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

I’ll have at it:

Reduce the # of preseason games (2 pre season 18 regular season games with two bye weeks)

Eliminate the franchise tag (In a salary cap sport there is no need for it-should benefit players and owners)

Reduce the draft entry age by a year (would destroy the blue blood programs in CFB which I am all for) 

I like 1 and maybe 2 but not three unless you create some kind of tangible minor league system or make under agers red shirt in the NFL.  Too young in this league is a bad thing, this is not baseball or basketball.

The CFL has done #1 for a number of years and it works pretty well.

Not CBA related but I would like to adopt a few college football rules, especially  the pass interference and tauntin/targetting rules.

12 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Do away with forcing season ticket holders to buy meaningless pre-season tickets. 

Shorten the Season to 14 games and eliminate the by week's.

Sign players to 1year contracts only with no salary cap.

Outlaw PSL's and make pre-season games free.

No more games played overseas. They are pointless and monotonous

Yeah I know none of this will ever happen and it's all wishful thinking but it's really how it should be

The bolded would be interesting but chaotic.

A few already said: lower draft age, and allow young players to communicate with coaches in offseason.

Most important is definitely to make it absolutely clear what is and what is not pass interference and roughing the passer. If a blind survey of refs cannot come to a 100% consensus on every replay given, the rule needs to be adjusted.

Get a head of officiating that is actually willing to do his job and overturn calls that should be overturned. Fire that douche instantly. 

Actually have some sort of appeal process where games can possibly be replayed. The NFL would never do this, and fans would riot, but the Saints were cost a trip to the Superbowl because of a terrible blown call. The NFL did nothing about it. The biggest sporting even in the country was a farce, since the right team was not in it and everyone knew it.

Introduce a new salary cap system. Have a maximum salary a player can be paid. That would be the highest "tier." Each tier would be a certain salary range (based on % of cap). Limit how many players from each tier a team can have. This would seek to eliminate top-heavy rosters, and lead to teams seeking more depth, which would lead to more enjoyable games, IMO. 

Get NFL announcers that actually like football, and get excited when big plays happen. You know, the Chris Berman types. 

Have a draft lottery similar to the NBA/NHL to discourage tanking, but have the first 5 picks or so have the exact same chance of getting the #1 pick.

Just a few off the top of my head.

• Sympathy 1

I really like the idea of getting rid of the franchise tag. It creates unnecessary drama. Or at least make it so that a player can only be tagged once. That’ll give the team 6 years of control while also allowing the players to enter FA at around 27 years of age. If they keep the tag to just one year, I would also allow the team to trade the player until the trade deadline and sign the player at any point. This random deadline in the summer is silly.

• Sympathy 1

Increase allowed practice time. During preseason give all the teams an xtra 1-2 hours a day but no 2 a days. During the regular season give the teams with LOSING records an xtra hour or 2  per day of practice - this will help them get better and bring more parity to the league and increase the rosters. 

My wishlist (none will likely happen):

Get rid of instant replay.

Simplify the rulebook so there aren't penalties called anywhere near as often as they are.

The Superbowl is either played on a Saturday or it's on the Sunday before President's day.

Someone on WFAN called up the other day and suggested Tuesday Night Football.  Francesa said it couldn't happen unless the team were off the week before (or after).  I'd add a 2nd bye week to allow for this.  This whole idea is really more to help us move the Superbowl to before President's Day.

Factor in state taxes when determining a team's salary cap.  So some teams will have a higher nominal salary cap than others.

Get rid of the preseason entirely and allow teams to scrimmage against each other or something like that (that I hear they already do). 

If possible, add a 17th game.  I think that would get us to a President's Day Superbowl.

- Increase practice time, mini camps, training camps. OL & QB positions have suffered the most from the decreased time, resulting in a much inferior product than what the NFL used to be.

- No pre-season, not 1 game.

- 17 regular season games.

- Getting rid of the franchise tag.

- Better...more like SOME health coverage for retired players.

- Keep the amount of playoff teams the same.

- Best records make the playoffs. If you’re 11-5, you should go in over w 9-7 division winner. 

- Coaches should be able to have contact with players in the offseason.

- Draft lottery to stop full on tanking.

- All aspects of rookie contracts are non-negotiable. Rookies holding out is absolute disgrace and ridiculous over guaranteed money/incentives/fine clauses, etc. All same across the board, NON negotiable.

- Each draft player of each round gets same rookie wage. First pick makes same amount as the last pick of the first round, and continues through each successive round.

- Allow teams to have and use as many jerseys, logos, colors, etc for however many games the team chooses; like the NBA. 

8 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Almost forgot: set up a developmental league. 

Wasn't the AAF (which has already folded) set up as a developmental league?  And weren't there supposed to be 2 other new leagues?  I know one was the XFL, which afaik, is still going to happen.  I thought there was another though but maybe not.

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Compensatory picks need to go away. It is SUPPOSED to be a system to help lesser teams but the reality is that it allows the better teams to continuously add more depth. It has exactly the opposite effect it should.

The franchise tag and compensatory picks system was designed to help the small markets.  Even with the salary cap I think there was a fear that players would want to leave for greener pastures/greater marketing opportunities in large cities. 

In this era of celebrity it doesn’t matter where the athlete plays. It’s all about being on a good team, and playing in marquis games. In fact the large markets are at a disadvantage because of taxes (something that wasn’t brought up much 10 years ago). 

All in all free agency in the NFL is completely broken. Soon enough owners are going to smarten up and stop handing out these stupid contracts (see MLB as an example). If the franchise tag sticks around at the very least the first and third tender needs to go away (more like a 2nd round pick). 

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wasn't the AAF (which has already folded) set up as a developmental league?  And weren't there supposed to be 2 other new leagues?  I know one was the XFL, which afaik, is still going to happen.  I thought there was another though but maybe not.

They aren’t doing that.  College FB already does it for free

I've always had this odd idea of a 3rd place game between the losers of the 2 Conference Championship Games.  You play on the weekend before the Super Bowl and a week after the CCGs.  There would have to be some unique incentives to make it work but I'm sure it would do great in the ratings since there is no other NFL game on that weekend and there would certainly be interest from the fanbases who just missed out on the Super Bowl.  It gives a team a chance to end the season on a positive note and answer some of those "what if" kind of questions.  What if it was the Saints and the Chiefs in the Super Bowl last year?  Players would get bonuses for winning, and maybe you flip-flop the Draft position for the winner (meaning the winner actually picks ahead of the loser).  Just a thought.

Last time around the players traded money for time off that worked out great for the top 25% of the players but the rank  and file players will want more guaranteed money 

The owners likely want to prevent players from holding out for a year like Bell or trying to get cut like brown so they will probably want more player control 

I want 3 preseason games and eliminate the franchise tag it’s too messy. Maybe go with a Larry bird rule or luxury tax for keeping your top 3 players 

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I've always had this odd idea of a 3rd place game between the losers of the 2 Conference Championship Games.  You play on the weekend before the Super Bowl and a week after the CCGs.  There would have to be some unique incentives to make it work but I'm sure it would do great in the ratings since there is no other NFL game on that weekend and there would certainly be interest from the fanbases who just missed out on the Super Bowl.  It gives a team a chance to end the season on a positive note and answer some of those "what if" kind of questions.  What if it was the Saints and the Chiefs in the Super Bowl last year?  Players would get bonuses for winning, and maybe you flip-flop the Draft position for the winner (meaning the winner actually picks ahead of the loser).  Just a thought.

It would be awesome to do something that week between the CG and the SB but I think the teams would be so let down that the game wouldn't have the juice.  I'll throw an idea out there that the NFL adds a draft lottery but it picks 2 participants for that game.  The winner of the game wins the #1 pick.  So 2 of the crappiest teams are playing but they're playing for the #1 pick.

The problem for that might be that if there's a great QB in the lottery, would the starting QBs for those 2 teams even want to win (and put themselves out of a job the following year)?

League sponsored feeder league.

NFL Europe helped develop QB’s and linemen. Placed in none NFL locations, in US, Canada, Mexico?

18 game regular season 2 pre-season games.

60 man Roster with 50 Dressing.

Onside kick scrapped. Replaced by 1 attempt of 15 yards or more. Only to be used in the last 3 mins of a game. 

Change the ridiculous lack of hard practices.  

Designated Salary player, who doesn’t count against the cap, but still has a max payment based on the % of salary cap i.e 20%?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

I’ll have at it:

Let the teams be able to suit up 53 players on their roster . ( there shouldn’t be any player inactive).    Silly that you have to deactivate 7 players each week , where injuries are very common.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

- Increase practice time, mini camps, training camps. OL & QB positions have suffered the most from the decreased time, resulting in a much inferior product than what the NFL used to be

Yet somehow there seem to be more young QBs doing better than what used to be the norm, after the old 3 year wait period..

- No pre-season, not 1 game.

Not a chance, teams with coaching changes need to implement new schemes etc.  As do teams with new coordinators.  Wont work

- 17 regular season games.

18 is possible, 17 and a unbalance home and away schedule doesnt make sense

- Better...more like SOME health coverage for retired players.

That need is passing.  Old timers need their coverage paid for.  I can pay for coverage, rich players cant?

- Best records make the playoffs. If you’re 11-5, you should go in over w 9-7 division winner. 

So if a team is in an easy division they have an easier path to the playoffs.  \

- Draft lottery to stop full on tanking.

Tanking isnt a NFL thing, wrong sport.  Even Miami is trying to win.  

- Each draft player of each round gets same rookie wage. First pick makes same amount as the last pick of the first round, and continues through each successive round.

Why?  Best player should make as much money as the 32nd best player?  For what reason?

- Allow teams to have and use as many jerseys, logos, colors, etc for however many games the team chooses; like the NBA. 

No