college game day... 11/16

Beerfish

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll keep harping on my whine about trading for more assets.   Take the one non difference making Dt or S and exchange it for two solid starters in positions that actually make a difference.

Absolutely. It seems like the last 10 drafts have been defensive heavy, at least at the top but this year is different. If JD can nail this draft it will go a long way to not only making us respectable again but also watchable for the fans. 

Having a bottom barrel offense for what seems like decades now is wearing very thin.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

He has a poor feel for his own ability...   he could easily have thrown that away earlier...   in stead he holds onto the ball as if he can drift away from them on one leg until both D players are actually ON HIM...    

That's why he's always injured. Never throws it away. Either takes a hit or forces an INT

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Tua was airlifted to a hospital.  Airlifted for a hip injury.  I would imagine the fear is he Bo Jackson'd his hip.

If it's a dislocation of the hip, he's done. I can't think of one athlete who has come back from it.

I had one years ago, It's a horrible injury. You basically have to learn to walk all over again. Unbelievable pain, grueling rehab and you're lucky if you're walking a few month later. I've never been the same and my athletic career ended the day I had the injury. The pain never goes away, and the leg never is the same.

When I get out of bed I never put all my weight on that leg first. I can golf, but the mornings are the worst. I get up hours before time, just to loosen up and walk without pain.

I remember when Flacco was on the Ravens they had a good young TE (Heath something?) about six years ago and he suffered a hip dislocation. My friend is a big Ravens fan, and he was relieved it wasn't broken, but a dislocation of the hip is worse. As soon as they said what it was, I told him the guy wouldn't play again. He thought I was crazy, but...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If it's a dislocation of the hip, he's done. I can't think of one athlete who has come back from it.

I had one years ago, It's a horrible injury. You basically have to learn to walk all over again. Unbelievable pain, grueling rehab. I've never been the same and my athletic career ended the day I had the injury. The pain never goes away, and the leg never is the same. I can golf, but the mornings are the worst. I get up hours before time, just to loosen up and walk without pain.

I remember when Flacco was on the Ravens he had a good young TE (Heath something?), and he suffered a hip dislocation. My friend is a big Ravens fan, and he was relieved it wasn't broken, but a dislocation of the hip is worse. As soon as they said what it was, I told him the guy wouldn't play again. He thought I was crazy, but...

Same injury as Bo Jackson.  Feel bad for Tua, lots of rehab ahead of him.  Changes the top of the draft next year. One less QB going high. 

15 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If it's a dislocation of the hip, he's done. 

I had one years ago, It's a horrible injury. You basically have to learn to walk all over again...... The pain never goes away, and the leg never is the same.

sorry to hear that, Catorze...     thats way worse than my two semi arthritic knees due to meniscus injuries...

ya know I hesitated talking about Tuas habits cos I feared his injury was really bad....   and alotta guys get hit a bunch and dont get hurt...   so i never assign it as some sort of player "weakness" ,

view it sort of more as a luck thing , angle of hits and angle of limbs and joints landing or being landed on...

and a genetic lottery thing ( both luck things , really...duh!)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Same injury as Bo Jackson.  Feel bad for Tua, lots of rehab ahead of him.  Changes the top of the draft next year. One less QB going high. 

We don't know that yet although it sounds bad. If it is the same injury I wonder how far medical science has improved over the last 30 years because that is around when Bo got hurt. 

Look at Tommy John surgery in baseball players. That was almost a death sentence 30 years ago and now you almost want your pitcher to get it out of the way before moving forward. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Georgia pulls it out! @Lith 

good hard fought win there but our offense is still pre-historic. We cannot hang with LSU come time to do so.

but this defense is absolutely MEAN.

Defense is mean when its aggressive, but they need to make more splash plays.    When we get the lead and sit back in the zone, we lose all momentum.  Lucky Nix missed that 4th and 2 pass or there is a good chance it goes to OT and they are still playing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

We don't know that yet although it sounds bad. If it is the same injury I wonder how far medical science has improved over the last 30 years because that is around when Bo got hurt. 

Look at Tommy John surgery in baseball players. That was almost a death sentence 30 years ago and now you almost want your pitcher to get it out of the way before moving forward. 

Also, from what I have read today, I think part of the issue with Bo's injury was that he did not get treated quickly enough and there was not enough blood getting to the joint.  Hopefully they got to Tua quickly enough to minimize the damage.

Just now, RobR said:

I don’t think it’s career ending, just a lot of rehab and time.  As far as his draft stock goes, that’s all but gone.  

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Defense is mean when its aggressive, but they need to make more splash plays.    When we get the lead and sit back in the zone, we lose all momentum.  Lucky Nix missed that 4th and 2 pass or there is a good chance it goes to OT and they are still playing.

Facts! They can’t do that against LSU

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why do coaches at all levels lose their nerve when ahead?  Auburn is doing nothing all game and once the lead goes to 21 Georgia's D starts playing softer than butter.

That been what we have been doing all year.  Similar story against Florida.  Shutout through Q3, and then play soft and allow teams back in.  Like I said above, I am not going to give back the "w", but this team needs to put someone away when they have them on the ropes.  And what the hell has happened to our offense.  Just about every drive a 3 and out except for the 3 TD drives.  Just awful, especially in this era of offensive football.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In my opinion, AJ Epenesa is the Top 10 pick from Iowa.  Not Wirfs.  Wirfs is a 1st rounder, but Epenesa is an absolute monster.  Game changer.

Didn't see that you beat MInnesota.  Congrats.  Nice run by Minnesota coming out of nowhere to the Top 10.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Also think part of the issue with Bo's injury was that he did not get treated quickly enough and there was not enough blood getting to the joint.  Hopefully they got to Tua quickly enough to minimize the damage.

Agreed. Back then they didn't have the science too realize what they were dealing with.

My only caveat is some bones don't get blood flow like others and that is an anatomy problem. If you ever break a wrist, don't break your scaphoid bone. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Also, from what I have read today, I think part of the issue with Bo's injury was that he did not get treated quickly enough and there was not enough blood getting to the joint.  Hopefully they got to Tua quickly enough to minimize the damage.

I dislocated mine years ago sliding hard into second. I knew I was hurt, but couldn't feel much pain. My instinct was to get up putting my weight on my good leg. Before I could straighten, I toppled over, on the side where I was hurt. It was like I had no leg. The shortstop told my coach I passed out before I hit the ground. 

I remember being in an ambulance and hearing voices, but then I went out again and didn't wake up until the next morning with my leg in traction. According to the nurse, if a hip dislocation isn't treated within hours, the patient can actually die. It's a horrible injury, the leg is never the same. If that's what Tua has, he's not coming back next season, and he probably never will.

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I mentioned the Ravens TE who came up with Flacco. He never came back. Since its something which happened to me, I always feel for an athlete who it happens to. I honestly don't know of one who has been able to come back.

EDIT I just saw the ESPN scroll that it is a hip dislocation. Man, I feel horrible for the kid. like @Lith said, hopefully his family took out an insurance policy guarding against a career ending injury while in school.

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I dislocated mine years ago sliding hard into second. I knew I was hurt, but couldn't feel much pain. My instinct was to get up putting my weight on my good leg. Before I could straighten, I toppled over, on the side where I was hurt. It was like I had no leg. The shortstop told my coach I passed out before I hit the ground. 

I remember being in an ambulance and hearing voices, but then I went out again and didn't wake up until the next morning with my leg in traction. According to the nurse, if a hip dislocation isn't treated within hours, the patient can actually die. It's a horrible injury, the leg is never the same. If that's what Tua has, he's not coming back next season, and he probably never will.

Hope you recovered okay. 

As for Tua, hopefuly he has insurance to protect him against a drop in the draft and at the very least will be financially secure.  Hoping maybe it turns out not to be as serious as feared and he still has a shot at an NFL career.

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The board is happy. Now they don’t have to explain why they didn’t put an unbeaten team into the playoffs. 

If Minnesota would have run the table, including a win over Ohio State for the Big 10 Championship, it would have been tough to keep them out.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

I mentioned the Ravens TE who came up with Flacco. He never came back. Since its something which happened to me, I always feel for an athlete who it happens to. I honestly don't know of one who has, especially one who has.

We are still not 100% sure what the injury is, so I don't want to speculate much. Even worst case scenario you're comparing to a guy who was probably in his 40-50's sliding into a base during a beer league game and a TE from over a decade ago.

We're talking about a top athlete that is around 20 and has top end care. Either way his stock will tank because he can never stay healthy. It;s quite disgusting what Saban makes/ convinces these kids to play through. He just had surgery a few weeks ago and played last week.