college game day... 11/16

Beerfish

1 hour ago, RobR said:

We are still not 100% sure what the injury is, so I don't want to speculate much. Even worst case scenario you're comparing to a guy who was probably in his 40-50's sliding into a base during a beer league game and a TE from over a decade ago.

We're talking about a top athlete that is around 20 and has top end care. Either way his stock will tank because he can never stay healthy. It;s quite disgusting what Saban makes/ convinces these kids to play through. He just had surgery a few weeks ago and played last week.

21 year old D-I CF at the time.

I knew Bo was done, and he was an athletic freak. Unfortunately I always say the same thing whenever I've seen it happen to a player.

• Sympathy 1

@RobR @Lith I just thought of another player who dislocated his hip in college. 

Remember the Lattimore kid who played with Clowney at South Carolina? He was a Heisman level RB. He was done after the injury. Someone drafted him in a late round, and he sat out his first year trying to rehab, but was never able to recover.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Remember the Lattimore kid who played with Clowney at South Carolina? He was a Heisman level RB. He was done after the injury. Someone drafted him in a late round, and he sat out his first year trying to rehab, but was never able to recover.

He dislocated his knee and tore all the ligaments in it his senior year. San Fran drafted him in the 3rd round but he suffered nerve damage in that knee and retired at 23. He's part of the SC AD now

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

It was his knee. I remember the play vividly like it was yesterday because it was so gruesome. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

He dislocated his knee and tore all the ligaments in it his senior year. San Fran drafted him in the 3rd round but he suffered nerve damage in that knee and retired at 23. He's part of the SC AD now

Ah ok. I'm thinking of the wrong guy then. I should've asked my GF about him. She's a big fan of the ass kickin chickens. LOL

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Ninja'd

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm still trying to get over the Matt Rhule thing... that was such an SOJ signature moment. Just when you think we've finally turned the page on this era of incompetence - boom - bye bye Rhule, hello Gase. 

Rmember those arguments on the board.  What has he done.  8 wins in two years at Baylor.  Who wants him. 

Good times.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm still trying to get over the Matt Rhule thing... that was such an SOJ signature moment. Just when you think we've finally turned the page on this era of incompetence - boom - bye bye Rhule, hello Gase. 

That saga was so depressing.. I remember telling you the whole time it was a done deal too. My guys were surprised it fell through.  Not when they found out the reason, but more so because it seemed like they were signing on the line 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Rhule may or may not succeed at the next level but the guy is a head football coach.  The jets always are choosing coordinators, not head coaches who are leaders and let coordinators do what coordinators do.

Rex and Bowles are D coordinators Gase is an OC. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Rmember those arguments on the board.  What has he done.  8 wins in two years at Baylor.  Who wants him. 

Good times.

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

That saga was so depressing.. I remember telling you the whole time it was a done deal too. My guys were surprised it fell through.  Not when they found out the reason, but more so because it seemed like they were signing on the line 

I'm not proud of this, but I had concerns he would force his religious beliefs on the team and that wouldn't work.

Then just to prove I'm really dumb, I thought the Jets were correct to want to pick his CS.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rhule may or may not succeed at the next level but the guy is a head football coach.  The jets always are choosing coordinators, not head coaches who are leaders and let coordinators do what coordinators do.

Rex and Bowles are D coordinators Gase is an OC. 

I'm one of Rhules detractors but I happen to like the fact that he is a true HC. We haven't had one since Parcells.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'll almost be surprised if it doesn't happen.  From the area, Coughlin disciple, has now been interviewed in 2 previous job cycles so it will no longer even be viewed as a risky hire.

Do you think Gettleman would make that hire, or do you think he'd be let go with Shurmur?

Bill Bellichick - DC

Sean Payton - OC

Andh Reid - OC

Shanahan - OC

all the top coaches in the NFL have deep expertise and can bring an edge in terms of XOs

Rhule is a nice “CEO” figure that works in college... in the NFL you need edges.

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

So looking back on it now, who actually had a better career as a college QB, Hurts or Tua?

I'm going Jalen.

Tua's highs were higher.  And without his play in the second half in the Natty against Georgia, netiher guy is a national champ.  I would give the edge to Tua, at least as of now. 

If Hurts does something special with Oklahoma this season and that could change, but it will have to start over the last 16 minutes of tonight's game.

• Upvote 1