Possible Draft Shake Up - Tagovailoa 'serious' hip fracture

THE BARON

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Twitter Draft Tween Community is down on Herbert, but Steve Young, unprompted, brought Herbert up as the guy he thinks is the best prospect in next year’s draft. Given the TDTC’s recent performances, particularly as it relates to QB evals, I think it’s going to be interesting to see who ends up going where. 

It would be nice if we had the draft pick that get one of these guys that we could trade.  Last year's draft fell so poorly for us because nobody wanted to move up.  And we rarely have luck in the draft (Darnold aside).  When we had #1 overall 2 years in a row, Peyton didn't come out of school either year.  We ended up with Keyshawn one year and the other year IIRC we traded down and took James Farrior.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It would be nice if we had the draft pick that get one of these guys that we could trade.  Last year's draft fell so poorly for us because nobody wanted to move up.  And we rarely have luck in the draft (Darnold aside).  When we had #1 overall 2 years in a row, Peyton didn't come out of school either year.  We ended up with Keyshawn one year and the other year IIRC we traded down and took James Farrior.

We weren’t unlucky in regards to Peyton Manning. He didn’t come out because Archie wanted a guarantee from Parcells that we would draft him; Peyton wanted to play for the Jets and specifically for Parcells.

Parcells had a formula for drafting QBs that he didn’t deviate from. The QB had to start 4 years and win I think 28 games. In other words he was unwilling to draft a junior QB so he told the Mannings we weren’t interested so he stayed an extra year at Tennessee.

Yes we have had some bad luck in the draft but most of the time this organization just screwed itself over. Thank Bill Parcells for the Jets QB woes all those years because he and he alone is the reason why Peyton Manning wasn’t a Jet.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

Hes coming out. It will be a Willis McGahee situation where whomever drafts him will likely redshirt him.

I still think he’s likely a round 1 pick

That I guess was my question, if he thinks he'a a top 2 round pick then he should come out but anything less than that there is an argument for him staying.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Yeah but one of the major things that can cause what Jackson had, avascular necrosis or osteonecrosis of the hip, is hip dislocation which can interrupt blood flow to the femoral head. 

Yep

Supposedly, Bo said he thought it was dislocated and they didn't believe him.

11 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

That injury was a career ender for Bo because they didn’t know how to treat the injury.( waiting to long, and oxygen was deprived to the hip . 

Today they do, and I think there is very strong chance Tua makes a full recovery.    I'm hearing anywhere from 6 months to 18 months including physical therapy depending on how bad the fracture is. 

no doubt the treatment is better but it's still one of the nastiest injuries a player can get. too bad for the guy.

22 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

College players should be paid. It's a multi-billion dollar college sport. RIdiculous

You think Nick Saban isn’t already paying his players?

And most division I programs don’t actually make money they lose money.  Are Temple and Rutgers going to start paying millions to football players to suck oh and there’s title 9 so guess what you gotta pay the women’s volleyball team too

On 11/17/2019 at 8:06 AM, bla bla bla said:

Should Tua still come out this year? Or does it make more sense to return for one more year to heal and potentially get some reps in? 

Obviously depends on how early you think he'd go but I don't think it's a sure thing that he comes out.

No he needs to come out now

Even if this is the Bo Jackson injury medical technology has improved plus Jackson was a rb Tua is a QB he could still have a career

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

You think Nick Saban isn’t already paying his players?

And most division I programs don’t actually make money they lose money.  Are Temple and Rutgers going to start paying millions to football players to suck oh and there’s title 9 so guess what you gotta pay the women’s volleyball team too

I meant more like "officially". 

On 11/17/2019 at 2:00 AM, Raideraholic said:

That injury was a career ender for Bo because they didn’t know how to treat the injury.( waiting to long, and oxygen was deprived to the hip . 

Today they do, and I think there is very strong chance Tua makes a full recovery.    I'm hearing anywhere from 6 months to 18 months including physical therapy depending on how bad the fracture is. 

All the advancements and modern medicine in the world didn't do anything for Dennis Pitta, who had a similar injury and never got back to what he was.

Hips are so tricky.  Hopefully Tua never has to go through this again.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

still damaged goods

Every prognosis you hear about Tua in the near future will be glowing about how he’ll make a full recovery and might even be able to play next year.  That’s all well and good until he has to start rehab, then we’ll hear about the inevitable set backs and timelines being pushed back. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

All the advancements and modern medicine in the world didn't do anything for Dennis Pitta, who had a similar injury and never got back to what he was.

Hips are so tricky.  Hopefully Tua never has to go through this again.

At this point football shoudl be secondary.  He suffered a major injury, hopefully he will be able to regain enough strength/bobility in the joint to get around same as anyone else when not on the football field.  If he can play again, would be an added bonus. 

Either way, I hope he bought some insurance against dropping in the draft so he will at least have some measure of financial security in case football is not in his future.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

At this point football shoudl be secondary.  He suffered a major injury, hopefully he will be able to regain enough strength/bobility in the joint to get around same as anyone else when not on the football field.  If he can play again, would be an added bonus. 

Either way, I hope he bought some insurance against dropping in the draft so he will at least have some measure of financial security in case football is not in his future.

Either way, a team needs to take a long hard look at his medicals, and decide how much influence his injury history will factor into his draft slot.  It has to be a factor in his eval.  

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Either way, a team needs to take a long hard look at his medicals, and decide how much influence his injury history will factor into his draft slot.  It has to be a factor in his eval.  

Yeah.  Was not one of my brighter comments.  On a football message board.  Talking about a football player who suffered an injury playing football.  Then saying it shouldn't be about football.  Almost 7,000 comments on this board; I am entitled to a stupid one every now and then.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, Pennington said:

We weren’t unlucky in regards to Peyton Manning. He didn’t come out because Archie wanted a guarantee from Parcells that we would draft him; Peyton wanted to play for the Jets and specifically for Parcells.

Parcells had a formula for drafting QBs that he didn’t deviate from. The QB had to start 4 years and win I think 28 games. In other words he was unwilling to draft a junior QB so he told the Mannings we weren’t interested so he stayed an extra year at Tennessee.

Yes we have had some bad luck in the draft but most of the time this organization just screwed itself over. Thank Bill Parcells for the Jets QB woes all those years because he and he alone is the reason why Peyton Manning wasn’t a Jet.

Would love to know where you’re getting your info from on this.  First I’ve heard of this 

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Would love to know where you’re getting your info from on this.  First I’ve heard of this 

Not the first I heard of it

It’s known Parcells told Peyton to take a hike while he was the jets HC/GM he literally turned down Manning for James Farrior

On 11/16/2019 at 9:11 PM, JTJet said:

Joe Burrow going to be the top QB taken anyway. 

Even before this injury, I actually saw a few mocks with Tua in the 2nd round. 

Seriously ? I find that hard to fathom. EVERY mock I have seen pre injury has had him going top 5. Wonder if those mocks were put out by Auburn fans.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:50 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't want him going to the Dolphins (or the Bengals since they're in our conference too) but I feel terrible for Tua.  He might miss out on life-changing money now.  I think he has a very talented younger brother who is signed up to play for Bama as well.  That could help his family but not sure about his future. 

Tua's younger brother , Tualia, indeed is on the Bama roster and in fact played Saturday in the last 27 seconds or so. I believe it was his 5th game appearance which would make him ineligible to be red shirted. 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:06 AM, bla bla bla said:

Should Tua still come out this year? Or does it make more sense to return for one more year to heal and potentially get some reps in? 

Obviously depends on how early you think he'd go but I don't think it's a sure thing that he comes out.

These are great questions , could go either way. I think Tua has a lot of thinking to do along these lines. Praying that his recovery is full.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:06 AM, Philc1 said:

Not the first I heard of it

It’s known Parcells told Peyton to take a hike while he was the jets HC/GM he literally turned down Manning for James Farrior

I asked where you heard it because I remember quite clearly how all the media outlets were reporting that Manning burned the Jets by deciding to go back to school.