Maxman

### Jets \ Redskins -- The Official Game Thread ###

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

Simply horrible call on 3rd and 11. This is why I hate Gates.  

I'm actually ok with that call...in that particular set of circumstances. 

Better to live to fight another day. The Golden Boy and his RT are obviously flustered...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Is it me or is the OL marginally better without Osemele, Winters and Kalil?

Hell yeah it is!!

• Upvote 3

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

Replacing Winters made the biggest difference. It’s still bad but much better. Can’t wair to cut that bum. 

Strangely, he is more revered than our box safety.

Good on Darnold, took the sack vs. fumbling or throwing into coverage.

He may yet be something...

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Edoga. lol. 

I think the pressure came from both sides on that last sack.

Give the kid some slack, this is all about learning.

I give props to Sam for not turning it over.

The OL is marginally better, they aren't getting beat all to hell every drop back...just frequently..

Another stalled drive, but probably should have run first. and, after all, it is the freakin Jets.

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Powell is better than Bell.

No he's not.

But so what if he is...pointlessly negative.

• Like 1

that was a terrible ruffing the kicker call.

I'll take it but, wow, that was just terrible. the jets need the help, but I'm not for messed up calls.

• Upvote 1

I'm speaking for Darnold "detractors":

Nobody said this kid doesn't have the physical talent to succeed. I question his balls and maturity.

But, i'm happy to say that he's at least looking like he is playing up to his talent.

So, I'm optimistic. But he does have work to do. I'm not so much upset with the INTs because some of them have been so poor that I think he'll know not to do that. It's the fumbles that I'm more concerned with. I mean, you just need to breathe on him an out it comes. But even that is correctable.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Sam Ficken, ok he missed an extra point. A lot of missed extra points in the NFL this season. And he’s missed a few field goals too. But he usually comes back next kick to convert. And can kick a 50 yarder. He might be a guy we can go with in the future because he’s not afraid to miss a kick he seems to be up to the opportunity, (I know after this post he’ll probably miss his next 10 kicks).  

he's a baseline...subject to beat out next camp.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Wow Shepard 

The Darnold bashing I'll leave to others because i'm just blown away.

But I think the Shepard sightings are because there's one less Williams doing nothing on the DL.

• Post of the Week 1

wow, these are two sh!!ty teams.

Just when you want to see progress, with QBs, with coaching, with whatever.

Jets gonna be Jets.

Just now, DLJ said:

Ever since that idiot Sar dude darkened this game thread with his dumb post about a Gase extension the Jets have begun to crumble

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If that's all it takes...

Good job by the defense. these CB are definitely more talented than Johnson.

OMG...these are two sh!!ty teams!!

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

He made a one bad mistake. Besides that he is moving the offense

TWO, actually, he fumbled as well. And it's not that he had an INT, it's the type of INT that he has had.

But, you do make a good point, he IS moving the offense...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Ok, so if the Jets give up a TD before the half, they lose!!

If not, probably they win. 24-17.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

What? 

Lives and dies by gunslinging? Sam cant even standing in the pocket and throw the football with confidence. Every pass is with him drifting away. 

Favre wasnt doing that. Favre stood tall. 

Favre had an OL.

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

He sucks under pressure.

He's 22. So, growth possible.

And he has the arm and legs necessary to succeed. 

So, I'm willing to wait and see. I'm not going to get too frustrated with him.

I won't promise not to get frustrated opinions that don't acknowledge his shortcomings.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

True but Sam is running for his life 90 percent of the time.

um, no.

On most of the turnovers, it's after the play has broken down and he is operating off-script. You can't blame an OL for mistakes made in this scenario.

The mindset in these circumstances is to be ABSOLULTELY SURE before throwing. and the back-foot, "I'm scared" INTs have to be eliminated.

But when it's the Redskins...it's all good!!

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Agree with this. The good thing about Sam is that aside from the puzzling throw here and there he generally plays a good game. Not like Sanchez and Geno who would just look lost for stretches at a time. Still haven't lost any faith in his long term outlook.

If the Jets had the same personnel as Sanchez and Geno, the same fate would await Darnold.

Darnold's ok. He's not limited in the talent department. But two turnovers in one half is not acceptable and against a good defense would mean the Jets behind...

Please, if Sanchez or Geno made the bonehead throws Darnolds makes routinely, you'd have zero "faith in his long term outlook".

4 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Unfortunately, that reasoning is the reason why it’s going to take the Jets at least another year to face the fact that Darnold is not a franchise QB. That’s the way they operate. Heck, it might even be two years before they move on. 

It’s clear to me now that it doesn’t matter that he’s 22 years old. We can’t rewire his brain, and the sad fact is that there’s a defect in there that causes him to short circuit in high-pressure situations a lot of times. I’m now watching Jets games not wondering if Darnold is going to throw a boneheaded interception; I’m sitting there knowing it’s going to happen eventually. 

So, based solely on your gut, the Jets should abandon their Franchise QB? Please...It's clear to you, huh? In your mind, if someone is less than perfect, they can't grow. Well, that's just your misery coming out. People CAN and DO grow...on other teams.

You know why that doesn't happen here? Why players don't grow and yet perform excellently on other teams? Because the Jets don't develop players. If anyone should be able to succeed at QB for the Jets, it's Sam Darnold. Unlike Sanchez and Pennington, Darnold actually has the physical skills to succeed.

Yes, he's made some stupid mistakes. But take yourself back to being 22. Didn't you make mistakes that stem from a lack of maturity. He can learn from these because they are so ridiculous.

All these QB prospects have the same tools and shortcomings. it's up to the team to coach the deficiencies out of them. Not to abandon them in their second season, like, apparently, fans like you are so quick to do.

It's mind-boggling this fan base:

many don't even acknowledge that the kid makes stupid mistakes and the other half believes that if at first you don't succeed, F*ck it, give up...

4 hours ago, Newjetsfan said:

Two?  He returns kicks?

Sorry, forgot the OL recovered the fumble.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company