The non-controversial, not-the-place-to-snowflake, Jets are doing their due diligence on Kaepernick thread

T0mShane

I know this thread will be locked in roughly two hours because of snowflake implosion, but I think the Jets committing this level of due diligence to Kaepernick is a huge story. I’d imagine the math comes down to the net fiscal loss of Angry Ronalds from Poughquag vs. the nine billion Jets Kaepernick jerseys that would be sold all over the planet within the first 24 hours. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am sure attendance was a "favor" to the league. maybe they even get reimbursed.

Unfortunately, although Kap reportedly performed well, it looks like he is purposely sabotaging his own career, and seemingly must be ok with that.

Not everyone has to want to play football. The league got what they needed out of this, and I am presuming Kap did as well.

Well said.

• Upvote 2

Just now, greenwave81 said:

Kaepernick is his own worst enemy and toxic to any billion $ NFL franchise. I’m not even sure he wants to play football anymore...I think he just wanted a platform to perform some practice throws, so when he continues to be ignored by NFL franchises (which he will be IMO) he can continue his current gig of ‘I’m being suppressed’. 

It's a good  and smart business move either way. 

6 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Kaepernick is his own worst enemy and toxic to any billion $ NFL franchise. I’m not even sure he wants to play football anymore...I think he just wanted a platform to perform some practice throws, so when he continues to be ignored by NFL franchises (which he will be IMO) he can continue his current gig of ‘I’m being suppressed’. 

I doubt this. Generally speaking, this  "He's toxic" stems from the fact that the player may want to move on but folks that want this toxic environment makes sure to make it an ongoing thing. 

Think about it, Kaep "settled" with the NFL, which means that there were things negotiated and agreed upon. If Kaep is signed by someone, I promise you, the only folks making this a toxic situation will be the media and fans.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

If nobody decides to sign him, which is the rightful decision of every NFL team, I just hope we don't have to continue hearing about him.  His saga has gone on long enough.  He's delivered his message and he looks talented enough to be on the roster of several NFL teams, but if they don't want him because he'll be an unnecessary distraction then that's their decision.  The Raiders decided a very talented Antonio Brown wasn't worth the headache.  I think that's the decision teams are mulling over.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I know this thread will be locked in roughly two hours because of snowflake implosion, but I think the Jets committing this level of due diligence to Kaepernick is a huge story. I’d imagine the math comes down to the net fiscal loss of Angry Ronalds from Poughquag vs. the nine billion Jets Kaepernick jerseys that would be sold all over the planet within the first 24 hours. 

How to get this thread shut down without getting banned...

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I doubt this. Many times this "He's toxic" stems from the fact that the player wants to move on but the folks that want this toxic environment makes sure to make it a continuous thing. 

Think about it, Kaep "settled" with the NFL, which means that there were things negotiated and agreed upon. If Kaep is signed by someone, I promise you, the only folks making this a toxic situation are the media and fans. 

I always find it interesting that the people who claim Kaepernick wants to stay at war with the league never actually produce a quote where Kaepernick even implies he wants to be at war with the league. I saw a prevalent take yesterday where Kaepernick was criticized for moving the workout after the league was going to restrict media access as “here we go again,” but can you blame him? The league then released a statement implying that they were doing Kaepernick a tremendous favor with the workout, then later released four blind quotes from “scouts” saying his arm was fine, his accuracy was bad, and that he’s, at best, a backup. Kaepernick was supposed to trust Roger Goodell to disseminate an objective report card on the workout? The same guy who literally burned evidence of the Patriots stealing Super Bowls?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 4
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, ECURB said:

Did he say whether he will continue to kneel? Without the distraction of that he could slide right back in.

That’s the tough part, I’d imagine: on the one hand, as an owner, I’d want that assurance. On the other hand, I wouldn’t expect Kaepernick to concede to that demand. 

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Haha . That’s exactly how long it took Max to lock his own thread in the subject.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I always find it interesting that the people who claim Kaepernick wants to stay at war with the league never actually produce a quote where Kaepernick even implies he wants to be at war with the league. I saw a prevalent take yesterday where Kaepernick was criticized for moving the workout after the league was going to restrict media access as “here we go again,” but can you blame him? The league then released a statement implying that they were doing Kaepernick a tremendous favor with the workout, then later released four blind quotes from “scouts” saying his arm was fine, his accuracy was bad, and that he’s, at best, a backup. Kaepernick was supposed to trust Roger Goodell to disseminate an objective report card on the workout? The same guy who literally burned evidence of the Patriots stealing Super Bowls?

In every job, every job, there are expectations that ownership requires and expects you to meet. Many of those are culture norms and being complicit to their rules.

Any one can claim that they feel those are not right. That is ok. Then it goes either one of 2 ways:

1. You leave because you don't like playing their game.

2. You are asked to leave because you are a distraction and are not worth the trouble.

I can't telly you how many employees I have told "Maybe this is not the company for you, and that is ok".

It is no secret that every club in the NFL plays the PR game to not alienate large segments of their paying fanbase. Unfortunately for Kap (or, maybe this is the game that provides him most self-satisfaction and income) he does not fit the NFL owners idea of fitting the description of a safe play.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

In every job, every job, there are expectations that ownership requires expect you to meet. Many of those are culture norms and being complicit to their rules.

Any one can claim that they feel those are not right. That is ok. Then it goes either one of 2 ways:

1. You leave because you don't like playing their game.

2. You are asked to leave because you are a distraction and are not worth the trouble.

I can't telly you how many employees I have told "Maybe this is not the company for you, and that is ok".

It is no secret that every club in the NFL plays the PR game to not alienate large segments of their paying fanbase. Unfortunately for Kap (or, maybe this is the game that provides him most self-satisfaction and income) he does not fit the NFL owners of fitting the description of a safe play.

I agree that employers generally have the right to expect you to adhere to their culture. I just find it curious that people still presume that Kaepernick himself is resistant to doing so at this point. Instead, he’s being blackballed based on a deeply flawed, embellished narrative promulgated by notoriously compromised bad-faith actors 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It's all the NFL's fault damnit. Poor Colin. Let me get down on 1 knee and shed a tear for him. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree that employers generally have the right to expect you to adhere to their culture. I just find it curious that people still presume that Kaepernick himself is resistant to doing so at this point. Instead, he’s being blackballed based on a deeply flawed, embellished narrative promulgated by notoriously compromised bad-faith actors 

Do you know how you show a willingness to a want to play? Play by the NFL's sanctioned workout criteria, even though there are things that you may not like about it.

Listen, you dislike Jamal Adams in part because of his showboating. This looks very much like showboating. It does not show sincerity of any want to conform.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that's naive. One of my best friends, a real smart dude but a lifetime moonbat complete with a phd in social science and employed as a professor, who has never so much as watched even a minute of NFL (or any sport), just brought this up yesterday. Apparently he's an NFL expert now and it's obvious to him, someone teaching kids, that Kaep is as good or better than just about any NFL QB and is not playing soley due to racist hegemonic structures. Therefore this needs his and his peers attention.  How right or wrong he is can be debated but I think most people who follow the sport will agree it's a more nuanced situation.

Anywho, he and many like him follow Kaep on twitter and twitter followers = $$$. Staying relveant and in the news cycle is good for Kaep's wallet. I don't know if Kaep actually wants to play or not, wouldn't even speculate, but I do know that this workout is unequvicolly good for business whether he gets a contract or not

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Listen, you dislike Jamal Adams in part because of his showboating. This looks very much like showboating.

This is possibly the single worst comparison ever of all time, my friend. Good lord.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

I think that's naive. One of my best friends, a real smart dude but a lifetime moonbat complete with a phd in social science and employed as a professor, who has never so much as watched even a minute of NFL (or any sport), just brought this up yesterday. Apparently he's an NFL expert now and it's obvious to him, someone teaching kids, that Kaep is as good or better than just about any NFL QB and is not playing soley due to racist hegemonic structures. Therefore this needs his and his peers attention.  How right or wrong he is can be debated but I think most people who follow the sport will agree it's a more nuanced situation.

Anywho, he and many like him follows Kaep on twitter and twitter followers = $$$. Staying relveant and in the news cycle is good for Kaep's wallet.

I guess I just don’t see how Kaep staying out of the league is worth more to him than Kaep getting back into the league. If we’re assuming he’s chasing dollars, the move is to regain an NFL platform, sell a billion jerseys, and try to make a team win. He’d be a marketing god-king

• Upvote 1