The non-controversial, not-the-place-to-snowflake, Jets are doing their due diligence on Kaepernick thread

T0mShane

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look with all of the Qb openings and inexperienced unproven QBs on active rosters and getting starts guys like Luke Falk there is no logical reason in terms of physical talent why Kap isn’t on a roster. There is a demand for his talent. As for kneeling it’s his right to protest and he’s explained it. I personally stand for the national anthem even though I agree with why he does it. I am ok with it if he wants to protest. There are many claiming to be patriotic but they aren’t. 

Whether you are ok with it or not matters little...and the simple fact that he’s not on an NFL roster at this point indicates that NFL owners of billion $ PR machines do not share that opinion on game day Sundays. 

im certain most NFL owners could care less what Kaepernick would do on his ‘off’ time, but when he’s wearing his teams uniform, I’m certain they expect him to not piss off the majority of their fan base. While certain fans feel as you do, I would wager it’s not the majority opinion or we wouldn’t be where we are. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I guess I just don’t see how Kaep staying out of the league is worth more to him than Kaep getting back into the league. If we’re assuming he’s chasing dollars, the move is to regain an NFL platform, sell a billion jerseys, and try to make a team win. He’d be a marketing god-king

I am not saying he doesn't want to play, I'd assume he does, all I'm saying is that this is good for him either way and I'm certain that was part of his calculus.

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

I guess I just don’t see how Kaep staying out of the league is worth more to him than Kaep getting back into the league. If we’re assuming he’s chasing dollars, the move is to regain an NFL platform, sell a billion jerseys, and try to make a team win. He’d be a marketing god-king

And how much of the fanbase feels alienated and never comes back? I don't know and have not read any studies. 

But it is a fear of owners.

The Jets did the "marketability" thing with Tebow. In the end, it is a short burst of activity and then it usually has a bad ending.

• Upvote 2

Look Kap got a big settlement in the millions from the NFL because it’s obvious they are blackballing him. We don’t know what his settlement says I was surprised after a payout like that they would publicly give him a tryout. You’d think the next step would be to sign him. I don’t have high expectations of NFL owners. They seem to live in fear of public and political pressure. Losing TV ratings, attendance etc. I kind of think NFL football will be popular with or without Kap. 

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Except he was At-Best a back-up QB before all of this started.  There's no reason to think that statement was anything less than the truth.

Goodell and his NFL is a cesspool of deceit and ineptitude. I choose to believe nothing that comes from them. I agree, Kaep left the league not that good and chances are he’s worse now. Just don’t trust the source. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

On a scale of 1-10, how much better would you say he was than ... I don't know, Luke Falk?

Not sure what that has to do with Kaep being a distraction.

He's a back-up QB that is likely not worth the distraction to any team.  I have no doubt that If he were a starter/star caliber player he would be on a team. 

1 minute ago, freestater said:

We're the worst place for Kaep. We have a Young quarterback who is prone to streaks of turnovers. As soon as Sam struggled in a game Kaep's legion of followers would start chanting for him to start. It would make the Tebow circus look tame

Those guys were hilarious. My favorite thing of all that was how they always referred to him as Timmy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not sure what that has to do with Kaep being a distraction.

He's a back-up QB that is likely not worth the distraction to any team.  I have no doubt that If he were a starter/star caliber player he would be on a team. 

Nothing. I was just commenting on your saying he was a backup QB at best. He could definitely upgrade our backup QB roster spot IMO.

Any team that signs him is inviting the scrutiny that comes with having him on the bench while the starter struggles. He can really only go to a team whose starter went down, or starter is unquestionably bullet proof (Packers/Seahawks).

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I always find it interesting that the people who claim Kaepernick wants to stay at war with the league never actually produce a quote where Kaepernick even implies he wants to be at war with the league. I saw a prevalent take yesterday where Kaepernick was criticized for moving the workout after the league was going to restrict media access as “here we go again,” but can you blame him? The league then released a statement implying that they were doing Kaepernick a tremendous favor with the workout, then later released four blind quotes from “scouts” saying his arm was fine, his accuracy was bad, and that he’s, at best, a backup. Kaepernick was supposed to trust Roger Goodell to disseminate an objective report card on the workout? The same guy who literally burned evidence of the Patriots stealing Super Bowls?

So just got retargetted this yahoo article, seems like he's playing to the controversy a bit, no? Particularly when you combine it with the fact that he wanted media there.

Again, smart move on his part but would seem to indicate he's doing this atleast in part for the news cycle

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/colin-kaepernick-wore-controversial-t-232507334.html

When Kaepernick arrived at the workout location, he was wearing a black t-shirt with the name "Kunta Kinte" written across the chest. Kunta Kinte was a character in the 1976 novel, "Roots," and chronicled the story of an African man enslaved and taken to America. The character may have been fictional, but the events were obviously not and Kaepernick wearing the shirt made a big statement as he took the public stage for the afternoon.

Fans Notice

Fans definitely took notice of Kaepernick's warm-up outfit and took to Twitter to praise the star for the move.

"Troll level 100" one person wrote, while another commented, "holy S---T Colin Kapernick is rocking a Kunta Kinte ROOTS shirt. Yes We Stan!!"

However a few threw some shade at the QB. As one critic put it:

"I’m sympathetic to his cause, but he’s really going out of his way here to be difficult. Wearing a Kunta Kinte shirt to a workout/job interview? Come on man."

"Because the multi-millionaire at a literal job interview is just like a slave," another commented.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And how much of the fanbase feels alienated and never comes back? I don't know and have not read any studies. 

But it is a fear of owners.

The Jets did the "marketability" thing with Tebow. In the end, it is a short burst of activity and then it usually has a bad ending.

That’s because Tebow couldn’t play, I’d imagine. I’d also surmise that owners develop opinions based on the very tiny, insular circles they live in where they come to conclude that spousal abuse is a one-game offense and smoking weed should cost you whole seasons. I think there’d be an extremely loud, but ultimately tiny portion of the fanbase that would sustain any type of protest toward a team signing Kaepernick, or, really, doing anything. Nobody cares all that much about these players—people just like the game. People stuck with it through Vick, through Leonard Little and Greg Hardy, and through the Pats cheating scandal. No reason to believe anyone would walk away now. 

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Offer him a backup QB contract and if he doesn't like it he can go scratch.

That’s the route I’d take if I wanted to shadow-ban him. Have a team very publicly offer him a one-year, $5 million dollar deal and let him turn it down. You can wrap this up in one news cycle.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s because Tebow couldn’t play, I’d imagine. I’d also surmise that owners develop opinions based on the very tiny, insular circles they live in where they come to conclude that spousal abuse is a one-game offense and smoking weed should cost you whole seasons. I think there’d be an extremely loud, but ultimately tiny portion of the fanbase that would sustain any type of protest toward a team signing Kaepernick, or, really, doing anything. Nobody cares all that much about these players—people just like the game. People stuck with it through Vick, through Leonard Little and Greg Hardy, and through the Pats cheating scandal. No reason to believe anyone would walk away now. 

Funny thing about Hardy but he's an example of how people and organizations can generally come back around after 1) Enough time has passed and 2) You've shown a real desire to put everything past you and work for it. UFC caught a lot of flack for bringing him in (from myself included) but Hardy just went the distance with one of the top heavyweights in the world.

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

So just got retargetted this yahoo article, seems like he's playing to the controversy a bit, no? Particularly when you combine it with the fact that he wanted media there.

Again, smart move on his part but would seem to indicate he's doing this atleast in part for the news cycle

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/colin-kaepernick-wore-controversial-t-232507334.html

Yeah, that’s not how I’d dress for a job interview for sure lol

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Funny thing about Hardy but he's an example of how people and organizations can generally come back around after 1) Enough time has passed and 2) You've shown a real desire to put everything past you and work for it. UFC caught a lot of flack for bringing him in (from myself included) but Hardy just went the distance with one of the top heavyweights in the world.

Is the DV stuff an issue at all for Hardy in the UFC or is it just baked in at this point?

Well I think Kaepernick may have hurt himself by forcing the workout to be moved. Some teams are going to say "Same old thing with this guy". "Dictating how things are going to go and wanting different treatment than anyone else". I just think a lot of teams are going to say it's not worth the eventual headache that signing Collin will bring. I don't see a team taking the chance on a 32 yr old with his amount of baggage. That's not even thinking about how much he will want per season. 20+ mil per season for Kaepernick? Most likely. I doubt he takes a one year prove it deal. Collin Kaepernick a Jet? Not with this Ownership. The Johnsons are pretty conservative and can you really see them signing a guy like this? I can't.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

As long as he is out of the league, the narrative as the “Super Bowl playing elite QB” being blackballed can continue, and he can make more Nike commercials and stay relevant. The minute he plays by the rules that the nfl kinda bent over backwards to his benefit, he gets offers at backup and third string money, which if he takes and continues his career as a 2nd or 3rd stringer will actually kill his narrative as a great QB being blackballed. Basically, it’s easier to sabotage your possibility to return  and keep your cred than to return and prove your worth on the field.  

Yep, It's also a better long term gig than even a middling starting NFL QB.  (as you said, as a backup the entire narrative is kaput)

He has 2M+ twitter followers, roughly the same as the SF team account and over 10x more than current starter Garoppolo who has 196k. If Garoppolo's career follows a similiar arc of Kaep, Kaep will out earn him by a large margin 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is the DV stuff an issue at all for Hardy in the UFC or is it just baked in at this point?

Originally yes, now no and it hasn't been for quite some time. Gets brought up in interviews here and there but the majority of the focus has been on two things, his inexperience and dumb mistakes. On the first point, he came in very raw and the UFC was putting him in against tomato cans, so the thought was they were propping this guy up just to make a buck and he didn't deserve to be there. On the latter he couldn't get out of his own way in the cage; he was disqualified for one fight for a horrific illegal knee to his opponent and then recently got hit with a No Contest because he actually used an asthma inhaler between rounds, which might be the dumbest thing I have ever seen a fighter do in their corner. That all got erased last week when he took a short notice fight against a top ten opponent and did incredible considering how long he's actually been fighting.

That said DV has been a big problem in boxing and MMA for a long time but fight fans tend to give less of a sh*t about out-of-cage/ring stuff with fighters. Always have.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Kudos to everyone for producing a really smart and interesting thread on this so far. 

It’s a shame the comment right after this one ruined it. 

It looks like some teams are operating in good faith while the league office was trying to do legally checkmate him.

8 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Serious question, if he signs with someone, does he give his settlement money back to the NFL?

It's a legal question but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. The case is settled. Both parties agreed to it and I'm sure the way the settlement was written outlines the timeline that the supposed collusion happened if either side admitted it did. I'm sure someone else could give you a detailed explanation but that's the short version as I see it.

• Upvote 1