Sam Darnold isn’t broken.

He can look bad at times, he can look very good at times. Even though QB’s take year two leaps, the kid is 22, has been playing QB for like 5 years, he was still a raw prospect albeit a very highly regarded one...this was always going to take time. We are still in the middle of the trials and tribulations of the youngest starting QB since the merger. He shot out 4 touchdowns and looked comfortable. He looked comfortable last week too. We just need to stack more and more games like these. I know the Redskins aren’t very good but they have a decent defense in place. Most importantly, Gase is finally putting Darnold on designed roll outs and the play calling aside from one or two head scratchers was solid today.
Gase needs to continue to make the TE’s a part of the passing game because it helped Sam out a lot to have a in-line blocker as well as a receiving option in the same formation.

O line. wR 1, we be ok

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He’s going to be the best QB out of the 2018 class

been saying that since day 1 even after the “ghosts” game the pat-loving media jizzed all over 

“He’s going to be the #1 QB in the NFL..the next Peyton Manning, and it’s not even going to take that long...3 years...his spatial perception is off the charts”.....T. Romo (before he even saw Darnold take his first snap against live bullets)

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He can look bad at times, he can look very good at times. Even though QB’s take year two leaps, the kid is 22, has been playing QB for like 5 years, he was still a raw prospect albeit a very highly regarded one...this was always going to take time. We are still in the middle of the trials and tribulations of the youngest starting QB since the merger. He shot out 4 touchdowns and looked comfortable. He looked comfortable last week too. We just need to stack more and more games like these. I know the Redskins aren’t very good but they have a decent defense in place. Most importantly, Gase is finally putting Darnold on designed roll outs and the play calling aside from one or two head scratchers was solid today.

Gase needs to continue to make the TE’s a part of the passing game because it helped Sam out a lot to have a in-line blocker as well as a receiving option in the same formation.

I propose a new term for a period in one’s life when everything goes off the rails and it feels like you don’t know which way is up and you’re incapable of making a single good decision as though you’re in a fugue state. The term? Chuma’d.

Ex: I don’t know, man. Just a bad stretch. I lost my house, lost my wife, my kids, went bankrupt and contracted syphillis. I was totally Chuma’d.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Let’s get him a ******* Oline!

Bell deserves one too.  

Today did you notice what happens when the Jets gave the ball to a back whose style is to run for his life (Powell) ... success! Bell needs at least average blocking to be successful - his delayed style means he looks for pockets to run into - except with our OL, any pocket near the ball carrier closes immediately. 

• Upvote 1

Another thing. 

These roll outs mean everything for Sam Darnold. He sees the field so well on the move. He fires the ball so well on the move and he makes ... BETTER DECISIONS on the move. It’s really odd but it works. He looked like he did against the Texans on Saturday night last year. He was moving and gunning well.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, sackdance said:

Bell deserves one too.  

Today did you notice what happens when the Jets gave the ball to a back whose style is to run for his life (Powell) ... success! Bell needs at least average blocking to be successful - his delayed style means he looks for pockets to run into - except with our OL, any pocket near the ball carrier closes immediately. 

The line did look a 100% better with Lewis, Harrison, and Compton in the middle.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, funaz said:

I know, Haskin's has a lot more talent, once he gets a team around him the differences will be even more apparent

LOL. WTF are you talking about? I watched every OSU game Haskins played in and he was adequate not great. His surrounding cast was great. 

The same thing could be said about Sam. Considering 90% of the Jets roster would not even make most teams Practice Squad. STFU Jerk-off.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Lamar Jackson is peaking right now 

Ah nico, nico, nico.

So it’s all downhill from here for Jackson, huh? Why can’t you just be happy. The Jets won and Sam played well.

Comparing Darnold to Jackson is silly right now. Lamar is an MVP candidate playing on a team with Super Bowls aspirations.

31 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

When he's good, he's really good. When he's bad, he's really bad. 

As time goes on, we will see more good and less bad. He's still younger than Dwayne Haskins and Daniel Jones, which is amazing. 

I have a feeling he’s ALWAYS going to younger then them. Jones has no chance of ever making up those 9 days.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

“He’s going to be the #1 QB in the NFL..the next Peyton Manning, and it’s not even going to take that long...3 years...his spatial perception is off the charts”.....T. Romo (before he even saw Darnold take his first snap against live bullets)

Oh jeez... The “spatial perception”, Romo thing is back.(you forgot about Watt after the Houston game)... next thing we know, you’ll be predicting a 5000 yard 45 TD season where we’d average 34 points a game.

Again. Just like you did for this year. ?

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Another thing. 

These roll outs mean everything for Sam Darnold. He sees the field so well on the move. He fires the ball so well on the move and he makes ... BETTER DECISIONS on the move. It’s really odd but it works. He looked like he did against the Texans on Saturday night last year. He was moving and gunning well.

I just don’t understand how it took Gase half a season of seeing Darnold swallowed up live in the Abyss known as the “pocket” the Jet OL creates to not design lots of roll outs, it’s almost like Gase never bothered to watch Darnold rate as the #1 Passer in the NFL over the final part of last year.

You want to call plays which allow Darnold to take 5 and 7 step drops in the pocket that let him plant, step and fire AT LEAST GET HIM SOME SEMBLANCE OF AN NFL OL FIRST.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ah nico, nico, nico.

So it’s all downhill from here for Jackson, huh? Why can’t you just be happy. The Jets won and Sam played well.

Comparing Darnold to Jackson is silly right now. Lamar is an MVP candidate playing on a team with Super Bowls aspirations.

Big blue interactive.com

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I propose a new term for a period in one’s life when everything goes off the rails and it feels like you don’t know which way is up and you’re incapable of making a single good decision as though you’re in a fugue state. The term? Chuma’d.

Ex: I don’t know, man. Just a bad stretch. I lost my house, lost my wife, my kids, went bankrupt and contracted syphillis. I was totally Chuma’d.

When Shell came back, the different between him and Edoga, was like Jonathan Ogden just walked on the field.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

just don’t understand how it took Gase half a season of seeing Darnold swallowed up live in the Abyss known as the “pocket” the Jet OL creates to not design lots of roll outs, it’s almost like Gase never bothered to watch Darnold rate as the #1 Passer in the NFL over the final part of last year.

I’m not sure what took him so long. Hell, it could of been Darnold asking for designed roll outs. They said he took a more assertive and involved approach in the game plan.

1 hour ago, funaz said:

I know, Haskin's has a lot more talent, once he gets a team around him the differences will be even more apparent

It’s hard to be this bad. Nothing in Haskins rookie year and college ranking says he has a lot more talent.  

Troll on Knob Slobber.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Y3k said:

He was never close to broken. We live in a reactionary instant gratification society that lost their minds when they saw a young QB have a bad game on National TV while being micd up. Idiotic narratives are created out of thin air with little context. Sam Darnold will be an elite quarterback in this leuage. His ability is obvious to anyone with half a football brain. 

I completely agree that we are judging these QBs on not only a game by game basis but in some cases we are judging each throw.  Its just the result of having so much information.

That being said, as much as I love Darnold as a prospect and believe that he has the ability to be our legit franchise QB, hes not improving in some areas and it is a concern, regardless of him torching the Redskins.  

He cannot CANNOT throw that pick today.  Setting aside the bad decision, whether its on Sam or Gase, he needs to sense the flow of the game and realize today is a day where you take zero chances.  Washington was going to struggle to score, we were wining and had momentum, why risk anything there.  Hes gotta to start to feel that and stop forcing throws.  It would have been nice to see Gase ream him for that.

He needs to clean up his mechanics as well.  Thankfully thats something that can be learned, and hes is very young, but it needs to happen.

I also think he needs to run more.  Yes, its great that he keeps his eyes downflied and he hit a bunch of those throws today, but if he takes off once in a while when the pocket collapses, it will at least give the defense something else to think about.

Was a good performance, vs a bad team - lets hope he can build on it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Can't  wait until we get toasted by the Ravens and we start seeing the use a high pick on a QB threads again. 

Level of competition matters.

But Darnold still doesn't step into throws a lot, going to continue to hurt him