Sam Darnold isn’t broken.

29 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

First of all, I hope we aren’t arguing, I’d like to think we’re discussing. We aren’t 23 years old, and I like to think we’ve always gotten along despite different opinions on where Darnold is right now.

Now back to discussing, lol. I’ll start by saying I’ll be very happy if you turn out to be right about Sam, you and I have both been following this team a long time, we both want them to do well. So I won’t be “going away” if he becomes what you think he can. I’ll be as happy as you are.

To follow your logic, you’ll concede that Daniel Jones, who is the same age and plays behind as bad an OL, has less talent at WR on his team, is at the very least Darnold’s equal, correct?

He’s thrown 4 td passes without an int TWICE in his last three games, and even though he’s a rookie, he leads Darnold in every statistical category, I believe.

What do you predict for him going forward?

Ok we’ll go back to discussing haha.  My apologies.  And no..don’t go away...regardless of what happens.

Darnold like I said has played 7 games this year, is 3-4 and in all 3 wins (albeit 2 against bottom feeders he has produced the 30+ points I project will be commonplace for him once more talent surrounds him, I was just wrong about this year (I actually came very close to putting a bet down on Jets Over 7 1/2 wins this year, thought it was a Lock, but then at the last second looked over the Schedule thoroughly, saw the total Gauntlet that was the first half of the year and thought the better of it) , he can’t be dinged for who the schedule tells him to play.  I say that because at least that’s nice and rare to see from any Jet QB, the 30 points, since that position has pretty much been a barren wasteland close to 2 Decades).

I’m just excited to have Darnold as QB because I can’t remember the Jets EVER having a QB who you can see do so many different things well, pretty much a complete package.  Sanchez way overdrafted/inaccurate, Pennington huge physical limitations, Testeverde cannon to hit any throw but end of his career, OBrien also great arm but a statue could move better and even feel a rush better, Todd never being able to live up to Namath with both coming out of Alabama.....Darnold, I’ve already seen make every throw (and this is RARE, every throw in the pocket AND outside it ie rolling left and whipping a clothesline and hitting a receiver in the middle of the field behind where his arm is), outstanding pocket presence.  Again one scout called him “Carson Palmer in the pocket, and Romo outside it”...that’s some QB right there if that becomes True.

But as you say the jury still has to be seen as out at this point because we’ve seen some awful decisions.  But were those decisions based on terrible talent surrounding him?  Terrible coaching?  Trying to win the game ALL BY YOURSELF? (because lots of times it actually looks like Darnold is “all by himself” out there)...or just a poor play made by a player who has been Overhyped and really isn’t as good as everyone wants him to be?

Time will tell.  But it’s too early 

As far as Daniel Jones goes, he’s way better than I expected.  Has more of an arm too.  But the way he fumbles.  I’ll take rookie and 2nd year INTs over that any day.  This is a regular occurrence for him, there are some guys that always have a problem with that, and they Long last in the league.  I also think that Darnold has more facets to his game than Jones has ie “more Talent”.

Again, time will tell.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Because it does seem that you hate him.

Even your username seems to have been designed in an ironic way.

Even when Darnold has a good game, it’s chalked up to him playing a sh*t organization and you tell everyone to check their expectations. 

When a guy like Baker has a good game against a less than stellar organization to say the least, I hear zero mention of these aspects from you or a guy like @Villain The Foe.

When Mayfield throws an egregious interception, it always bounced off a WR’s hands, the receiver quit on his route, Baker just happened to wake up on the wrong side of the bed that morning, etc.

I can’t help but think that if Darnold grabbed his dick and talked smack to the opposing team or took shirtless GQ photos next to a Mercedes and a bengal tiger...you guys would love him.

Am I wrong?

This is why I laugh when he back tracks and turns the tables on us. He was pissing himself in the Browns game thread for less of a performance than Darnold has put up in the last two weeks.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Daniel Jones will be a very good QB in this league. Been impressed with him. But the line comparison is asinine. Giants didn’t whine back on it. 

Really think so? Even with Solder out and that Remmer(?) guy dealing with the back issues?

The only guy they have I think is any good is Hernandez, and he's up and down.

That said, I'm no expert on line play, it just looks like Jones is under pressure a lot (like Sam) and they can't open much up for Barkley (like us with Bell).

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Get a decent O-line in front of him and the sky’s the limit. Needs to be smarted with the ball when there’s nothing there though. He’ll get it eventually. 

That will begin to happen this offseason. Since Johnson was a moron and didn’t fire Mac (the biggest anti-OL gm in nfl history) in Jan last yr, it’s going to be a while to establish a solid OL. I see many first and second round OL picks for next 3 years, plus some big OL signings when they are available. Can’t build a OL over night, but I have no doubt Douglas wants to transform the OL from the worst weakness of the team, to its top strength. Why I see not having the $ for Adams in 2 years. If we get a first for him, wouldn’t shock me if Douglas picks two OL With both first rounders next yr. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Really think so? Even with Solder out and that Remmer(?) guy dealing with the back issues?

The only guy they have I think is any good is Hernandez, and he's up and down.

That said, I'm no expert on line play, it just looks like Jones is under pressure a lot (like Sam) and they can't open much up for Barkley (like us with Bell).

They were extra dinged up when they played us. But they actually started with a better line at the start of the season. We started with bottom five and today was like the 11th incarnation of the line. Doesn’t matter though. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Because it does seem that you hate him.

Even your username seems to have been designed in an ironic way.

Even when Darnold has a good game, it’s chalked up to him playing a sh*t organization and you tell everyone to check their expectations. 

When a guy like Baker has a good game against a less than stellar organization to say the least, I hear zero mention of these aspects from you or a guy like @Villain The Foe.

When Mayfield throws an egregious interception, it always bounced off a WR’s hands, the receiver quit on his route, Baker just happened to wake up on the wrong side of the bed that morning, etc.

I can’t help but think that if Darnold grabbed his dick and talked smack to the opposing team or took shirtless GQ photos next to a Mercedes and a bengal tiger...you guys would love him.

Am I wrong?

If you go back and look at the game thread, just before kickoff I posted that I wasn't going out to watch the game, I said I'd be watching Red Zone.

I followed the thread, commented on the int, but also commented numerous times how well Darnold must be playing, because it seemed like every five minutes they showed him throwing a nice pass or for a TD.

As far as me "hating" him, there isn't one athlete in any sport I "hate'.' I have too much respect for them being able to get where they are. Go back to the Terell Pryor thread last year. You'll see I was probably the only person defending him against personal attacks he was getting.

As far as Darnold, I've told you and others the same thing numerous times. The only problem I have with Darnold is I haven't seen all the same things so many of you claim to have. The problem is always the same though. Every time he has a good game you guys go overboard proclaiming his "greatness". Hell one guy did it today after his first drive. 

That's always followed by the attacks on the guys who are critical of Sam when he plays poorly. Nobody on a Jets site is rooting against the Jets QB. Why would anyone do that? But that isn't the same as being critical of things like his footwork and decision making.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is why I laugh when he back tracks and turns the tables on us. He was pissing himself in the Browns game thread for less of a performance than Darnold has put up in the last two weeks.

LOL two weeks ago you were giving up on Darnold. One thing I've always been is consistent. I'm doubled over laughing at you talking about backtracking. You change like the wind with how you feel about Sam.

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If you go back and look at the game thread, just before kickoff I posted that I wasn't going out to watch the game, I said I'd be watching Red Zone.

I followed the thread, commented on the int, but also commented numerous times how well Darnold must be playing, because it seemed like every five minutes they showed him throwing a nice pass or for a TD.

As far as me "hating" him, there isn't one athlete in any sport I "hate'.' I have too much respect for them being able to get where they are. Go back to the Terell Pryor thread last year. You'll see I was probably the only person defending him against personal attacks he was getting.

As far as Darnold, I've told you and others the same thing numerous times. The only problem I have with Darnold is I haven't seen all the same things so many of you claim to have. The problem is always the same though. Every time he has a good game you guys go overboard proclaiming his "greatness". Hell one guy did it today after his first drive. 

That's always followed by the attacks on the guys who are critical of Sam when he plays poorly. Nobody on a Jets site is rooting against the Jets QB. Why would anyone do that? But that isn't the same as being critical of things like his footwork and decision making.

Maybe you should try watching the games instead of following on redzone if you’re going to have loud contrarian opinions and post on literally every Darnold thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Ok we’ll go back to discussing haha.  My apologies.  And no..don’t go away...regardless of what happens.

Darnold like I said has played 7 games this year, is 3-4 and in all 3 wins (albeit 2 against bottom feeders he has produced the 30+ points I project will be commonplace for him once more talent surrounds him, I was just wrong about this year (I actually came very close to putting a bet down on Jets Over 7 1/2 wins this year, thought it was a Lock, but then at the last second looked over the Schedule thoroughly, saw the total Gauntlet that was the first half of the year and thought the better of it) , he can’t be dinged for who the schedule tells him to play.  I say that because at least that’s nice and rare to see from any Jet QB, the 30 points, since that position has pretty much been a barren wasteland close to 2 Decades).

I’m just excited to have Darnold as QB because I can’t remember the Jets EVER having a QB who you can see do so many different things well, pretty much a complete package.  Sanchez way overdrafted/inaccurate, Pennington huge physical limitations, Testeverde cannon to hit any throw but end of his career, OBrien also great arm but a statue could move better and even feel a rush better, Todd never being able to live up to Namath with both coming out of Alabama.....Darnold, I’ve already seen make every throw (and this is RARE, every throw in the pocket AND outside it ie rolling left and whipping a clothesline and hitting a receiver in the middle of the field behind where his arm is), outstanding pocket presence.  Again one scout called him “Carson Palmer in the pocket, and Romo outside it”...that’s some QB right there if that becomes True.

But as you say the jury still has to be seen as out at this point because we’ve seen some awful decisions.  But were those decisions based on terrible talent surrounding him?  Terrible coaching?  Trying to win the game ALL BY YOURSELF? (because lots of times it actually looks like Darnold is “all by himself” out there)...or just a poor play made by a player who has been Overhyped and really isn’t as good as everyone wants him to be?

Time will tell.  But it’s too early 

As far as Daniel Jones goes, he’s way better than I expected.  Has more of an arm too.  But the way he fumbles.  I’ll take rookie and 2nd year INTs over that any day.  This is a regular occurrence for him, there are some guys that always have a problem with that, and they Long last in the league.  I also think that Darnold has more facets to his game than Jones has ie “more Talent”.

Again, time will tell.

Hey, the good news is the Jets have won 2 in a row, and Darnold is playing better, especially today. As long as the guys like you are posting positively, that means he and the team are doing well. That's what matters.

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL two weeks ago you were giving up on Darnold. One thing I've always been is consistent. I'm doubled over laughing at you talking about backtracking. You change like the wind with how you feel about Sam.

I was overreacting just like any and everyone else. I said multiple times in multiple threads afterwards that it was a “I’m on the edge of the cliff” moment for a lot of us and we should take a step back. My step back was taken. 

Sorry if you over looked that because it kills your narrative.

I’ve always been a Sam Darnold supporter. My friends laugh at the kid when he makes mistakes, it burns me up. I tell them as well as everyone on here.. I still believe in Sam. That’s my favorite player and my teams QB. 

YOU on the other hand. You are cowardly in your approach to this whole topic. You consistently hate on him but are willing to change your mind if he ends up elite. You lean your long time Jets fandom as a crutch to anyone who is skeptical of this. Either you think he can play or you don’t. Either you believe in him or you don’t. I don’t care either way..I promise. It does, however, look goofy to ride this same narrative week in and week out. Sam Darnold is my guy. 

0CEB82DC-4E4A-4274-8E94-CC6EE93E24E4.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Sammy Boy was never "broken".  He was just inconsistent and showing some signs of not progressing...and perhaps, some signs of true regression.  Amidst everything else that was going on with the team, it was not surprising that I (and everyone else) started to really question if we had the right guy...We have the right guy.  He just needs to really, really limit the INTs. Period.

I was overreacting just like any and everyone else. I said multiple times in multiple threads afterwards that it was a “I’m on the edge of the cliff” moment for a lot of us and we should take a step back. My step back was taken. 

Sorry if you over looked that because it kills your narrative.

I’ve always been a Sam Darnold supporter. My friends laugh at the kid when he makes mistakes, it burns me up. I tell them as well as everyone on here.. I still believe in Sam. That’s my favorite player and my teams QB. 

YOU on the other hand. You are cowardly in your approach to this whole topic. You consistently hate on him but are willing to change your mind if he ends up elite. You lean your long time Jets fandom as a crutch to anyone who is skeptical of this. Either you think he can play or you don’t. Either you believe in him or you don’t. I don’t care either way..I promise. It does, however, look goofy to ride this same narrative week in and week out.

You seem to care very much PK.

Being critical of the performance of a player, or not being sure of his ability to reach what we think is his potential, doesn't mean you can't be happy or root for him if he does.

You say you look at it differently, and I believe you. Don't take this personal, but when I was your age I probably felt the same way about players on my team. As you get older, you learn to not buy into the hype, because you've heard it all so many times before with so many players.

You learn to root more for the laundry after being burned so many times. Maybe it isn't fair, but until I see it, I will hope for it, but I won't buy into it until I do.

Does that make sense to you?

3 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yeah when Darnold gets an OL that’s going to happen.  And then you’ll go away.  The way you think, I guess Houston should draft a QB next year because of their game today?  When Gase makes ZERO adjustments to protect Darnold against Belichick’s #1 D and allows Darnold to be terrorized with .2 seconds to make a decision on EVERY play then you can write in stone “Darnold s*cks”

He’s 3-4 this year playing on one of the Bottom 3 teams talent wise in the NFL, you’ll admit putting those numbers up are tough to do in that situation (the 30+ points per game I projected, but that will happen)

If you expect a 22 year old to put this type of team on his shoulders EVERY week and carry it to Wins...that’s foolish.  But if you see him do it on occasion that actually is “good enough”, at this point.  He had Aaron Rodgers beat and he had Houston beat end of last year playing with a pure garbage unit along with Bowles D cratering to give the leads Darnold generated in games that should have been wins.

You could take a Mark Sanchez or a Pennington give them 100 years and you’d never see them throw 4 TDs in a game playing the worst team in the league.

If you refuse to acknowledge that Darnold has a ton of talent, but is still learning his craft at 22, it’s worthless trying to argue with you.

This.

Quote of the week right here.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You seem to care very much PK.

Being critical of the performance of a player, or not being sure of his ability to reach what we think is his potential, doesn't mean you can't be happy or root for him if he does.

You say you look at it differently, and I believe you. Don't take this personal, but when I was your age I probably felt the same way about players on my team. As you get older, you learn to not buy into the hype, because you've heard it all so many times before with so many players.

You learn to root more for the laundry after being burned so many times. Maybe it isn't fair, but until I see it, I will hope for it, but I won't buy into it until I do.

Does that make sense to you?

It makes sense. But on the other hand, why do you buy into Baker Mayfield? He really hasn’t done much of anything this season.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Any fan that understands the NFL game can not look at Darnold and think he doesn't have what it takes to be a great NFL QB.  Calling him a bust is absurd.

In reality he had one very bad game against the Pats - which many, many QB's have had.

When given even a modicum of time he makes very good, accurate throws and mostly good decisions.  He's been behind the a awful O-line with virtually no running game.

Let's just hope Douglas knows we need to build OL and get him some weapons.  He's going to be a star.

Fun fact: If you remove the Pats game from his stat-line, he's pushing 100 rating this year. 

He needed (and still needs) to do quite a bit to erase the sour taste of that game. Luckily, he's getting better every single game.

• Upvote 1

It makes sense. But on the other hand, why do you buy into Baker Mayfield? He really hasn’t done much of anything this season.

Couple of reasons. You're right, he hasn't played well this season, but I think he will finish strong (like Sam) do to an easier schedule.

First, he played really well last year, despite going through an in season coaching change. He played like a vet, not a rookie, and came one final red zone conversion from making the playoffs.

Second. As I said he hasn't been the same this year, but the move to Kitchens/Monken hasn' been a good call. The OBJ trade and the drama he brings is the last thing a young QB needs. He wasn't dealt as good a hand this year as people thought.

Third. He's a true gunslinger. Even his mistakes are usually from being overly aggressive, ala the young Favre people like to compare Darnold to. Baker has a great arm, and excellent mechanics.

Fourth. I think he became the leader of that team day one. He's always the guy setting the tone in a pre or post game presser. Perfect example was this Thursday night. He sat there and answered every question about that brawl perfectly. A ten year vet couldn't have handled it better.

Finally, you know he's the guy I wanted here, it wasn't meant to be though. I like a QB with an edge to him. A lot of guys don't, but his "woke up feeling dangerous today" comment, flag planting, etc are the personality traits I like in a leader. I can't stand the wishy washy bland personality type QB. Give me a Namath, Stabler guy with an edge to him. 

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Couple of reasons. You're right, he hasn't played well this season, but I think he will finish strong (like Sam) do to an easier schedule.

First, he played really well last year, despite going through an in season coaching change. He played like a vet, not a rookie, and came one final red zone conversion from making the playoffs.

Second. As I said he hasn't been the same this year, but the move to Kitchens/Monken hasn' been a good call. The OBJ trade and the drama he brings is the last thing a young QB needs. He wasn't dealt as good a hand this year as people thought.

Third. He's a true gunslinger. Even his mistakes are usually from being overly aggressive, ala the young Favre people like to compare Darnold to. Baker has a great arm, and excellent mechanics.

Fourth. I think he became the leader of that team day one. He's always the guy setting the tone in a pre or post game presser. Perfect example was this Thursday night. He sat there and answered every question about that brawl perfectly. A ten year vet couldn't have handled it better.

Finally, you know he's the guy I wanted here, it wasn't meant to be though. I like a QB with an edge to him. A lot of guys don't, but his "woke up feeling dangerous today" comment, flag planting, etc are the personality traits I like in a leader. I can't stand the wishy washy bland personality type QB. Give me a Namath, Stabler guy with an edge to him. 

Lmao sounds like you’re making every excuse in the universe for baker (actually spinning having the best WR in the NFL on his team as a bad thing) while not giving Sam even a smidgen of a pass on anything. 

1 hour ago, Y3k said:

Lmao sounds like you’re making every excuse in the universe for baker (actually spinning having the best WR in the NFL on his team as a bad thing) while not giving Sam even a smidgen of a pass on anything. 

If you think OBJ is worth what he brings, fine. I don't. I'm not going to say anything else here about Mayfield either in this thread.

I didn't want to bring him up. It always comes off as a "slight" to Darnold. I avoided the Baker question when @Untouchable asked about him, but then @Patriot Killa asked me again, so I answered it that one time, I'm not going to do it again.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Let's also keep in mind he has no real explosive weapons..

And - how often do you see his WR's make a play - win a  contested ball? make a great catch?

The good QB's seem to have their WR's make plays for them . If feels like if Darnold isn't perfect the ball gets dropped.  

I agree with you, except Crowder is a bad ass. Not doing bad for a fifth option LOL?

Well I never thought Sammy 2 Lips was ever broken, but thats neither here nor there.

He got educated as to what happens when a QB has no protection, and no running game. This sucked to watch as a fan, but I have no doubt he will grow from that fiasco and be a better QB because of it. Hes a smart kid and looks to have the tools to become a great in this league. He needs to know his O-lines limitations, but still have trust in them while trying to make a play. That wont happen (completely) as the line is constructed this season. Once better lineman are starting, Sammy will be at ease back there, and be able to GROW into the role of being a franchise QB. (and not take uneeded chances) 

Someone mentioned a Favre resemblance, and I think it was pretty legit. I think Sammy believes he can make a throw/play even if it is the wrong descision. He seems like he has a little gunslinger in him, which isnt a horrible thing, but he needs to mature into WHEN its a good time to take a chance. (unlike Favre)

Its up to Dougie Fresh to get the bodies in here this off-season to build it right, and Im quite confident he will be up to the task.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

He’s going to be the best QB out of the 2018 class

been saying that since day 1 even after the “ghosts” game the pat-loving media jizzed all over 

Sir, have you seen Lamar Jackson? Darnold can’t hold his jock.

But I get it lol

8 hours ago, Larz said:

He threw it away twice after the bad decision 

he’s STILL very young 

anyone giving up on him is cognitively challenged 

I am glad you point out those 2 throw aways.  That was a big display of growth in my opinion.    In the past the gunslinger would have kept slinging it.  Ala Jeff George and jay Cutler and Jameis Winston.   Those throw aways were his best decisions today.   And when a qb can truly understand that throwing it away might be his best decisions, not only in the moment but his best decisions in a game, that's when you know you have something special.  Now it's one game so I won't say Sam has turned the corner yet. But if he starts making flipping the ratio in which he has been making those decisions consistently then we can see just how good he can really be.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

Fun fact: If you remove the Pats game from his stat-line, he's pushing 100 rating this year. 

He needed (and still needs) to do quite a bit to erase the sour taste of that game. Luckily, he's getting better every single game.

Interesting, makes sense, that single game he had with 5 Pats on him in half a second every single play will skew any QBs stats into the gutter.

Also, with a semi-NFL kicker or if Moseley doesn’t go down in the Opener...Darnold is 4-3 playing for one of the Bottom 3 teams in the league and is 2-1 lifetime against the “great” Josh Allen.  3 of the Wins he put up 30+ points.

I was slightly worried that the NE “ghost” game might stick with him for who knows how long, but now that Gase is rolling him out and it looks like the OL has improved by Subtraction (Winters and Khalil)....I don’t think that will be the case.

Would be nice if he continues with another strong showing, third in a row, vs Oakland.