Quinnen Williams

Jet hustle

Just now, fullblast said:

Not knocking Allen because he was my preferred pick as well but he plays with a far, far greater supporting cast around him. Easy to get 8 sacks when your running mates are Campbell and Ngakoue.

I wanted Allen too, simply to help put a dent in our dire need for outside pass rush, but you're absolutely right.  Allen is benefitting from being on a very, very good defense.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

A ton?  Like everyone he has flaws and some risks.  Every prospect is a projection, but QW did not have a ton of red flags. I'm not sure where you get your info. He was considered one of the safest players in the Draft and a concensus Top 3 (in some cases Top 2 with Bosa) talent.  Played against top talent in the SEC and dominated those opponents much of the time.

Are you saying QW was a reach and a surprise pick in the Top 3?  I don't think I've heard that from anyone.  Sure, there are lots of people who preferred a different player in that spot (I personally wanted Josh Allen from Kentucky, several here wanted Ed Oliver or even Jonah Williams) but I don't think I've heard a single person say that Quinnen Williams wasn't one of the very top prospects.

I think we need to give him some time.  He's playing better than both defenders taken right after him and he's graded out better than Ed Oliver so far.  I'm not pushing a panic button simply because he hasn't had the big breakout yet.

Yes he did have a ton of question marks and I know you've read several of them here. Lets list them quick.

One year wonder

Bama player that gets boosted by the talent around him

Bama player whose team was ahead double digits by the second quarter

Did I mention interior Bama player

Those are legit red flags and we're seeing it right now. 

Too answer your question he got drafted around where he was slotted. Doesn't make it the right pick.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Not knocking Allen because he was my preferred pick as well but he plays with a far, far greater supporting cast around him. Easy to get 8 sacks when your running mates are Campbell and Ngakoue.

8 sacks is 8 sacks my man. when he was at Kentucky he had what, 17 sacks in a season? And everyone questioned them because they were "easy" and  he "went unblocked" and they were "unimpressive". Now it's the supporting cast. 

But the facts are that this kid gets to the qb. Jets had the elite pass rusher they have been looking for the past 15 years sitting in their lap. And they passed on him for QW and his 11 tackles.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

He'd be awesome if he didn't suck... we always give these guys years, and excuses... most recently Leonard Williams, remember how he was being double teamed…he's almost getting to the QB... Either you got it or you don't, so far another waste… I pray Joe Douglas knows how to draft

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

He nailed Haskins on the first play, after that he was invisible when he was out there. How many snaps was he on the field?

Yup, he annihilated the Left Tackle on his way to hit Haskins on that first play, then didn't do much after that.

He was in and out all game due to the rotation up front.

You see these flashes every game, but not enough of them which is frustrating.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Shepherd > Leonard Williams.

Never thought I’d say Shepherd better than anyone, yet a pleasant surprise.

But just proves that you should never draft DT so high.

Or it proves guys need time to accumulated to nfl . Shepherd was considered a bust after his 1st year here. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RobR said:

Yes he did have a ton of question marks and I know you've read several of them here. Lets list them quick.

One year wonder

Too answer your question he got drafted around where he was slotted. Doesn't make it the right pick.

Bro I remember you hyping the hell out Ed Oliver and his stats are very comparable Q.

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Have you seen quinnen williams.  He looks like a 16 year old boy.

He needs an offseason of real nfl strength and conditioning and he will be a beast.

He will be much improved next year and will be the best player on this defense in year 3.

Draft prep

Rookie training camp

Training camp 

Pre season 

I think that's plenty of strength and conditioning... He should be making an impact right this minute. He is not.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I knew this thread was coming.  Not much to complain about with the game.  Darnold and Adams both played really well, so I knew a Quinnen thread had to be coming.  Actually surprised it took this long.

Get creative at least.  Maybe start an Edoga thread.

I guess they can no longer do Nathan Shepherd threads.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Interior DLine isn't a spot where players tend to break out immediately.  Those older, savvy, veteran offensive linemen know the tricks of the trade to minimize what you can do.  I think it takes a while to really emerge.

190627875_ScreenShot2019-11-17at9_01_23PM.png.1e912333a6d2f7c7075dea7ce152a2fa.png

1022935545_ScreenShot2019-11-17at8_51_57PM.png.7b77d064a9d2a71e5ac620c5e7a3423f.png

Well, considering we were being sold "the next Aaron Donald," it's worth mentioning that the 1st Aaron Donald had 9 sacks, 13 QB hits, and 2 FF in his rookie year.

• Upvote 1

I didn't want Quinnen Williams (I wanted Josh Allen), but I think people calling him a bust are getting ahead of themselves. He may still be dealing with an ankle injury. Additionally, he isn't playing to his strengths often enough. If you are going to employ Quinnen as a space eater in a 3-4, you are never going to get the most out of him. I think next year, after Quinnen has a full off season in a pro S&C program, if you see him playing a 3 tech in a 4-3, we will start to see the player many were expecting to see this year. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I didn't want Quinnen Williams (I wanted Josh Allen), but I think people calling him a bust are getting ahead of themselves. He may still be dealing with an ankle injury. Additionally, he isn't playing to his strengths often enough. If you are going to employ Quinnen as a space eater in a 3-4, you are never going to get the most out of him. I think next year, after Quinnen has a full off season in a pro S&C program, if you see him playing a 3 tech in a 4-3, we will start to see the player many were expecting to see this year. 

I'm not going to call him a bust at this point either, but I certainly didn't want him.  They guy played 1.5 seasons at the top program in the country.  There wasn't enough evidence that he'd be a difference maker at the next level to justify this pick.

• Sympathy 1

I just don't get why we'd draft the best 3 technique DT in the draft who's best in a 4-3, pairing him with a DC who's known for a 4-3 only to have him play in a 3-4 with no edge presence? QW has been underwhelming and I hate IDL in the top 10 but is the plan to switch to a 4-3 next year? 

11 hours ago, RobR said:

How many times have you said that about all of our busts? Leo, Lee, Pryor, Miliner, Richardson, etc. The only time you give up on these players is after we cut them or trade them for nothing. 

Richardson was DROY.  Let's not confuse his on the field play with driving 150 mph with his nephew, a bong and a gun in his car...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RobR said:

When is it OK to be concerned?

It's okay to be concerned right now. But - now ask - is that concern a top 10 concern for the NY Jets right now?

It's definitely not even in the discussion for a top 5 issue. And it's pure clown talk to label him a bust - particularly being in Polite's draft class. 

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Hold on HawkeyeJet this guy was the a first round pick #3 in the 2019 NFL draft we should be seeing something productive that helps the team win games. 

Hope like hell this isn't another first round bust like many before him. 

For the record I wanted Josh Allen the edge rusher. 

I think a good part of the forum wanted Allen but There was one thing the cretin was consistent, taking the BPA regardless of the team needs.  We needed a pass rushers bad and JA was there in a gold plate and as usual we went for a position that we were stacked.  As a fan it is so freaking infuriating.  I also wanted Marquise Brown.  Either would had helped this team than keep stacking first round BPA.

11 hours ago, RobR said:

One year wonder

All true. 

im still surprised at how often the score gets overlooked (and their schedule last year)... Bama was on average up 23 points by half time last year... you don’t have to be a team scout to know how that will skew numbers for dlinemen who get to then chase QBs around in must pass situations 

regardless - I’m sure QW will fine (not great) in the long run. The thing is - we just don’t need him. We needed OLINE. 

• Sympathy 1