Quinnen Williams

Jet hustle

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

You made my point, we have three good DT’s on this team now, even after trading Leonard Williams, and not counting QW.

Why the hell draft him:-

Lessons learnt Zero:-

Mo Wilkerson.

Quentin Coples.

Sheldon Richardson.

Leonard Williams.

Quinnen Williams. (Really..)

Last Edge Rusher Drafted by the Jets Bryan Thomas (2002!).

Last good one John Abraham (2000!).

+ Dwayne Robertson ("bowling ball covered in razor blades" W, Sapp)

* Kenrick Ellis (drafted with knowledge of off the field legal issues none the less)

Amazing  - this kid is only 21 years old - Aaron Donald had 2 years on him when he was drafted in 2014 - 13th - so are the 12 other teams fans who passed on him crying the blues like this fan base?

You don't draft a 21 yo kid and expect to be able to push around NFL lineman right overnight.  Geesh, just let the kid grow up a little with experience  and get into the weight room.

I would like anyone to recall a DT drafted so young make it into the pro-bowl their 1st year, like it seems this negative fan base is wanting. 

Go ahead, I'm waiting.....

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

Amazing  - this kid is only 21 years old - Aaron Donald had 2 years on him when he was drafted in 2014 - 13th - so are the 12 other teams fans who passed on him crying the blues like this fan base?

You don't draft a 21 yo kid and expect to be able to push around NFL lineman right overnight.  Geesh, just let the kid grow up a little with experience  and get into the weight room.

I would like anyone to recall a DT drafted so young make it into the pro-bowl their 1st year, like it seems this negative fan base is wanting. 

U r 100% correct.  Many here are clueless.

9 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

But he was drafted 3rd overall. He should be beating triple teams, make every tackle and blocking every pass. Bust! 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

Warren Sapp.  22 y/o at draft

N. Suh 23 y/o at draft

Newly drafted defensive lineman can and should make an immediate impact if they are all that they were cracked up to be.  

• Upvote 4

we should actually field a team of 18 yr olds so we can give them a good 7 years of losing w/o expectaions or being too harsh on thier little egos while hoping they may become good nfl players....

that way we can prove what nice reasonable loyal kind-hearted nonjudgmental true fans we are....

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Warren Sapp.  22 y/o at draft

N. Suh 23 y/o at draft

Newly drafted defensive lineman can and should make an immediate impact if they are all that they were cracked up to be.  

Sapp 1995 rookie stats-  Total - 3 sacks

1995 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 -- -- -- 3.0 0 0 1 1 5 5.0

5T

Suh 2010 rookie stats-  Total - 10 sacks

2010 Detroit Lions 16 66 49 17 10.0 0 3 1 0 20 20.0 20

The only year Suh had double digit sacks in his career was his rookie season.

8 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

And the N.Y. press has access to Joe Douglas' phone calls and what exactly what was offered for QW? That is is just nonsense.

no they don't. apparently schefter tweeted that is was...what was the word again??  i think he said BLOCKBUSTER

offer....  although, even that, obviously, doesnt tell us EXACTLY what was offered

• Upvote 1

If we look back on the draft last year and what Nathen Shepard did during the season we would have been willing to move off of him as a player and he was 25 years old. With the limited play so far Shepard has been looking like a different player on the field.  Point is that Quinen Williams may just need this year to get himself acclimated.  If he shows progress like Sam did during the last 3-4 games last year then we at least have that to look forward to for things to come.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bomberjet said:

The weight room thing is a little silly

they don’t lift at Bama?

the big jump is your freshman year at college with a real strength program.

hell the Bama strength and conditioning coach makes more than most NFL assistants for a reason

9 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Jonah Williams didn’t even play this season after getting injured in preseason but I’d rather have him than Quinnen. Jonah’s potential upside and impact for the team going forward would be greater than Q’s imo. 

Maybe Jonah can be a decent Guard fighting chronic shoulder injuries

7 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

You don't think the 3rd overall pick in the draft should be making an impact year 1? Who cares about his age.  That's completely erroneous. Bosa and Allen are a half year older. I'm sure those 150 extra days or so make them so much more physically mature. Lol.

And more than half the posters here called Allen Aaron Maybin 2.0 before the draft

4 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

The weight room thing is a little silly

they don’t lift at Bama?

the big jump is your freshman year at college with a real strength program.

hell the Bama strength and conditioning coach makes more than most NFL assistants for a reason

Total nonsense.  These elite guys dont have to apply themselves to compete at the college level.  They can get by with their natural skill alone.  

Its when they hit the nfl and play against grown ass men do they realize, "Oh sh!t.  I need to get serious in the weight room".

I cant even discuss the Quinnen Williams stuff anymore.  The board has taken a huge step back basing anything on his rookie year.  its clueless fandom at its best.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

And the N.Y. press has access to Joe Douglas' phone calls and what exactly what was offered for QW? That is is just nonsense.

Gut feel those rumors were floated out by the Jets to gas up his value for this offseason. With the way the cheaper guys are playing he’s an obvious move to acquire more picks, assuming the money can work.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets fan grade curve is pretty incredible. 

On 8/12/2019 at 12:28 PM, dbatesman said:

very excited for December, when half the board will be explaining that #actually it’s not a big deal that Q only has 2.5 sacks because he’s occupying blockers, which allows other guys to make plays

I underestimated the timeline and overestimated the sack total, but we got there in the end, and that’s what’s really important.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he’s not an elite athlete and wasn’t even billed as a pass rusher coming out.

That stuff matters when projecting the future of an EDGE or pass-rushing DT.

Yeah those 9 sacks didn’t measure up to others? 

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

Listen, Q. may turn out to be a perennial All-Pro down the line. That said, it was the worst possible pick for this team, period. We all know it, the idiot who made this sh*ty pick got fired. Can we please move on and actually talk about guys who play and contribute?

If we knew we were not resigning Leonard Williams, then it is not the worst possible pick.

Should we have gone oline or an offensive player?  Sure.  But being they had no plans to resign Williams, it is not a terrible pick.

21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

People disappointed in Quinnen really dont understand the position he plays.

Its not an nfl day 1 impact position.  Its a strength position where you need to dominate huge, grown ass olineman.

Look at quinnen.  Hes all baby fat.  He looks like hes 16 years old.

After a full offseason in a real strength and conditioning program, he will be much better next year.

Year 3 he will be the best player on our defense.

A little patience folks.

QW = Leo.  In 3-4 years as he contract is coming to an end, we can look forward to getting another 3rd rounder for QW.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/22/jon-gruden-quinnen-williams-the-reason-why-jets-have-no-1-rush-defense/

Jon Gruden: Quinnen Williams the reason why Jets have No. 1 rush defense

Posted by Josh Alper on November 22, 2019, 10:42 AM EST

gettyimages-1185891365-e1574437333446.jp
Getty Images

The Jets made defensive tackle Quinnen Williams the third overall pick of this year’s draft in hopes that he’d improve the defense by acting as a playmaker on their defensive front.

A look at Williams’s numbers might call into question his playmaking ability. He has 1.5 sacks and two tackles for loss so far this season, but this weekend’s opponent sees where Williams has improved the Jets defense.

Williams draws double-teams often and Raiders head coach Jon Gruden believes the attention paid to him has helped the Jets become the top-ranked run defense in the league.

“They’re the No. 1 rushing defense in football and he’s the reason why,” Gruden said, via Newsday. “He’s healthy and moving around much better than he did earlier in the season. There’s a lot of stuff you got to learn in your first year in the NFL, especially when you play for Gregg Williams. It looks like he’s playing with a lot more confidence, energy. He’s a force in there. It’ll be a challenge for us.”

The Jets have been far less successful stopping the pass, which may also explain why the team isn’t yielding much on the ground but Gruden’s comments suggest either answer will still result in a lot of attention being paid to Williams come Sunday.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jetsons said:

Sapp 1995 rookie stats-  Total - 3 sacks

1995 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 -- -- -- 3.0 0 0 1 1 5 5.0

5T

Suh 2010 rookie stats-  Total - 10 sacks

2010 Detroit Lions 16 66 49 17 10.0 0 3 1 0 20 20.0 20

The only year Suh had double digit sacks in his career was his rookie season.

Sacks not the big expectation for an interior defensive lineman.  When Suh and Sapp first took the field they were clearly aggressive and very disruptive.  I thought Suh was trying to dismember people. 

12 hours ago, Bomberjet said:

The problem with drafting someone that high in the draft who needs time to contribute, is he is being paid a significant salary.

His cap hit for this year is almost 6 million, next year it's over 7.  If you are paying a premium draft pick, you need them to contribute rather quickly.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It was 8, actually, and one of the guys we passed on had 17, so yeah, they didn’t really measure up.

Measuring up wasn’t the question.  If that’s all you use to judge a player. Competition, or lack of has to be looked at.  Or that either 8 or 9, the response was to he wasn’t a pass rusher. 

I wanted Allen but get why Q was drafted, kind of 

12 hours ago, Bomberjet said:

Quinnen will be better next year after an offseason program. He literally a baby right now but we’ll just let the whining crew whine their eyes out 

• Upvote 1