Jets are now the #1 run defense in the league

I'm interested in seeing how they stack up against the Ravens in a few weeks. As much as the Ravens were a bad match-up for the Pats - they may be a good match-up for the Jets. Could be a surprisingly winnable game for us.

I am not entirely confident about that because of how different that Ravens run game is compared to the league. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, DMan77 said:

Outside of McLendon (33) the DL is young too... Williams (21), Anderson (28), Shepard(26), and the breakout star of the group, Kyle Phillips(22)...

Good things! 

Even more important, they are all under contract!  Phillips, Fatukasi, Shepherd, and Anderson are signed through 2021.  Quinnen Williams is signed through 2022, with a team option for 2023.  McClendon is signed for 2020.  Hell, even the failed projects from other teams that I like, Willis and Basham, are signed for 2020.  When the biggest decision at the position group is whether to tender Frankie Luvu, that spot is pretty well set.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

It means we can stop the run and can adjust efforts to stop the passing game that we know is coming.

Except that's not how things work for most teams.  Can't run the ball, but still want to use your RB?  Line him up as a receiver and/or pass it to him in space.

We stopped the run in the Rex years too, as did his Bills defense.  Those defenses still got stomped from 2012-2014.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Do you have snap counts from yesterday? It seemed to me that Q wasn't playing as much as usual.

Jets defensive snaps (61): DL — Williams 40, Phillips 36, Anderson 27, McLendon 23, Fatukasi 19, Shepherd 18,; LB — Hewitt 61, Burgess 61, Jenkins 42, Basham 38, Copeland 13, Luvu 10, Langi 3; DB — Adams 61, Maye 58, Maulet 56, Austin 47, Poole 45, Canady 13, Analysis: Hewitt returned from injury. Canady made debut. Copeland limited by previous injury.

Rich Cimini, ESPN 

• Upvote 2

The Defense, such that it is, is not our primary problem. 

It is average enough to compete, and has all year for the most part.

The Offense, however, is:

-Ranked 29th in Points Per Game (16.4)

-Ranked 32nd in Yards Per Game (248.2)

-Ranked 31st in Passing (1,761)

-Ranked 31st in Rushing (721)

-Ranked 31st in 1st Downs Per Game (15.0)

-Ranked 28th in Time of Possession (28:25)

-Ranked 26th in Turnover Differential (-6)

Put simply, this is basically the worst Offense in the NFL not named the Washington Redskins.

We do nothing whatsoever well on Offense, and even our good game vs. the Redskins didn't move the needle much on where we are.

Decide for yourself the causes (or excuses if you prefer).

• Upvote 4

Just now, Warfish said:

Put simply, this is basically the worst Offense in the NFL not named the Washington Redskins.

We do nothing whatsoever well on Offense, and even our good game vs. the Redskins didn't move the needle much on where we are.

I think we’re looking better now. Hopefully we have turned some kind of corner. We will find out here soon when we play Oakland.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do you think our offense rankings are the last 2 weeks? 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think we’re looking better now. Hopefully we have turned some kind of corner. We will find out here soon when we play Oakland.

I hope so too.

I just don't presume beating up two of the teams in the NFL that might be worse than us as a sign of anything other than the equivalence of horrible teams.

Beating a winning team would go a long way to supporting a "maybe we're getting better" narrative.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This team has had great run defense for years, does not help you win that much anymore.

Also we are doing with after dumping jag Leo and having our other top pick Dt be casper the ghost

The Jets haven't had a top 5 run D in the last decade. Twice we've cracked top 10 (2017 & 2012). We've mostly had a bottom half of the league run D, even in the Rex era.

2018: 26th

2017: 9th

2016: 22nd

2015: 31st

2014: 28th

2013:  30th

2012: 7th

2011: 20th

2010: 30th

2009: 25th

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except that's not how things work for most teams.  Can't run the ball, but still want to use your RB?  Line him up as a receiver and/or pass it to him in space.

We stopped the run in the Rex years too, as did his Bills defense.  Those defenses still got stomped from 2012-2014.

Which is why I said "adjust efforts to stop the passing game we know is coming".

Doesn't matter what year it is, you gotta be able to stop the run to make teams one dimensional. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What do you think our offense rankings are the last 2 weeks? 

I don't overvalue cherry picked stats vs. the other worst teams in the NFL to support a narrative.

The year-long numbers are who we are.  

As I said above, winning, in strong fashion and led by a productive offense, would go a long way to shifting cynicism that the last two weeks were just the truly bad beating up on the slightly worse.

Beat the Raiders and score 30 doing so.  Then beat the equally horrible Bengals by 20+ points.

Then we can talk.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets haven't had a top 5 run D in the last decade. Twice we've cracked top 10 (2017 & 2012). We've mostly had a bottom half of the league run D.

2018: 26th

2017: 9th

2016: 22nd

2015: 31st

2014: 28th

2013:  30th

2012: 7th

2011: 20th

2010: 30th

2009: 25th

Rush ranks aren't the best metric to use because teams have been able to get big leads on us and run the ball a lot in the 2nd half over the years.

DVOA tells a very different story:  

2018:  21st

2017:  11th

2016:  1st

2015:  1st

2014:  11th

2013:  2nd

2012:  15th

2011:  4th

2010:  2nd

2009:  7th

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Which is why I said "adjust efforts to stop the passing game we know is coming".

Doesn't matter what year it is, you gotta be able to stop the run to make teams one dimensional. 

And again, I tell you you're wrong.  Making an offense "one dimensional" doesn't nearly have the impact you think it does.  Because stopping the pass even when you KNOW teams are passing is very, very difficult without quality personnel in place. 

When QB's have time to throw because you have no pass rush, even bad ones can look like Montana.  When your secondary blows, even bad QB's can pick on your # 2 corner all day long.  

49 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm interested in seeing how they stack up against the Ravens in a few weeks. As much as the Ravens were a bad match-up for the Pats - they may be a good match-up for the Jets. Could be a surprisingly winnable game for us.

I am not entirely confident about that because of how different that Ravens run game is compared to the league. 

Lmfao

• Upvote 1