Is Griffen the real deal?

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Amazing after not even noticing we had a TE on the team for the last decade that we have two pretty good ones. I just don't  know if Griffen is a good blocker. I remember Herndon was from last season. 

He'll certainly get alot of fan hype this coming off-season.

He is a good player and I think is a good scheme fit.   With that said Herndon has a much much bigger upside and I am disappointed in what has transpired this year with him.  I am curious to see if Gase can scheme a way to utilize both of them.  Yesterday he had a lot of 2 and 3 TE looks and it was effective.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Amazing after not even noticing we had a TE on the team for the last decade that we have two pretty good ones. I just don't  know if Griffen is a good blocker. I remember Herndon was from last season. 

At 29, he isn't young but he certainly isn't old by today's standards. I am also not sure how much real playing time he actually has had so that might have helped to preserve him further. I think that he has developed a sense for being at the right place at the right time for SD. The chemistry between the two is growing and I sincerely like what I see. I'd like to have him back if at all possible, Herndon's inability to stay on the field this year has me semi worried about his ability to stay healthy. Just an opinion though. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

At 29, he isn't young but he certainly isn't old by today's standards. I am also not sure how much real playing time he actually has had so that might have helped to preserve him further 

maybe we can make the same case about Tom Compton but they are both 7 year vets 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

playing bottom feeders makes q.one on the Jets look better.

He’s played well. 

Playing bottom feeders and winning gives people like you loads of material for mindless posts.  Can use this response for everything good

Amazing how many negative posts about a player who has really stepped up and played well.  Oh well.

Jets’ Ryan Griffin becoming improbable Sam Darnold target

November 18, 2019 | 12:30am

LANDOVER, Md. — If he was just a step or two faster, Ryan Griffin might have celebrated a 61-yard touchdown catch.

Instead the veteran tight end had to wait through a commercial break until the next play to finish the job.

The developing connection between Sam Darnold and Griffin is so good that there almost was no question where the quarterback was going in the two-minute offense at the end of the first half, when Griffin followed up a 45-yard reception with a 16-yard touchdown to spark a 34-17 victory against the Redskins.

Griffin was out of the NFL until signing with the Jets right before training camp. Darnold missed three of the first four games with mono. But now it looks like they have played together for years.

“It’s a lot of hard work in practice,” Griffin said. “When he got sick, it was tough because we missed out on a lot. I was new. It’s a new offense. Sam being out, it got off to a slow start. We’re coming around and jelling at the right time.”

Griffin led the Jets with five catches for 109 yards, his first career 100-yard receiving game. Darnold escaped the pocket and threw over top of Fabian Moreau for the 45-yard completion to Griffin.

“It’s always those ones, when the ball feels like it’s in the air for forever, it’s like, ‘I’m right here!’ I don’t want to start waving or anything,” Griffin said. “But I know Sam is going to get me the ball in those situations.”

Griffin’s emergence has saved the Jets in a season when promising young tight end Chris Herndon played just one game before going on injured reserve. His four touchdowns are more than anyone could have expected when he was just trying to make the roster.

“This is my seventh year in the league,” Griffin said. “I know how it goes. I’m just happy they gave me a shot here.”

Redskins safety Landon Collins — who the Giants let leave as a free agent because they questioned his coverage — and his cornerbacks seemed not on the same page when Darnold scrambled. Advantage tight ends.

“It was one of those games where he kept popping free,” coach Adam Gase said. “We didn’t do anything different than we’d done in the past. It was just his turn.

“Those guys have a good feel working together in practice. Those guys just do it on their own.’

I'm going to duck after I press send.  Griffin is a nice surprise.  He's been catching the ball and contributing.  BUT.  A big chunk of the credit goes to who ever is designing the plays.  Gase ??? Griffen has gotten free because of good play design.  He has not been making incredible, athletic catches.  He's been in space most of the time.  Now that the secret is out, it is likely that you wont see sooo much free space around him.  

And may I add that six foot seven white boys usually aren't athletic or nimble but I don't really give a flying rat's ass how he gets it done the point is he's getting it done. Throw some money at that man and keep him around. And if it's true that he likes to drink and punch holes in walls that just makes him a real football player and I'll take it and keep it!