What is your confidence level that Sam Darnold is the Jets long-term Franchise QB?

jetstream23

How confident are you that Darnold is the franchise quarterback the Jets have longed for?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. How confident are you that Darnold is the long-term answer at quarterback for the Jets?

• 100% Confident. I've seen enough to know Sam is "the one." No doubt.
    • Very Confident. He's trending towards being an excellent QB. I think he's our 10+ year QB.
    • Pretty sure. He's looked great at times, but not consistent enough yet to know if he's truly the guy.
    • Not sure. It's been a mix of good games and bad games. Still too many mistakes to know if he can be the answer.
    • Not confident. He's not nearly consistent enough and games like New England are a big red flag for me.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Golly gee look who chimes in on the lies... most likely the kid who was picked on his entire life. 

I said IF Sam DArnold continues to struggle and doesn't show improvement like winning games we might have to consider another QB in the draft and I like Joe Burrow NOT Tua.................

I can promise you that you have been picked on far more than me and it shows.

Also, no you didn't.  This was a post you made before Sam even came back to play the Cowboys:

1624332097_Screenshot_20191118-1406192.thumb.png.5af842693ef49c30d519e39a368873e3.png

Untouchable just posted proof that you are, in fact, also a fan of Tua.  Then again, you're a fan of any person that comes up in a Google image search so that doesn't surprise me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

If he is a turnover machine like Jameis Winston...    you...   "shrug."?????

smh

maybe i am misinterpreting...?   

Sub out the name Winston and replace him with Luck. Or even Favre (someone else in this thread mentioned Favre)

My point remains the same. I will accept begrudgingly accept turnovers if a QB shows that he can create plays at a high level. That's what you get when you have gunslingers at QB. They make great plays but also make alot of boneheaded plays with they're arm. It's a give and take (like that old saying of "you live by the sword, you die by the sword)

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I can promise you that you have been picked on far more than me and it shows.

Also, no you didn't.  This was a post you made before Sam even came back to play the Cowboys:

1624332097_Screenshot_20191118-1406192.thumb.png.5af842693ef49c30d519e39a368873e3.png

Untouchable just posted proof that you are, in fact, also a fan of Tua.  Then again, you're a fan of any person that comes up in a Google image search so that doesn't surprise me.

If JW recognizes a name, if he can find and post a jpeg likes him.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hello Daddy I knew you weren't far behind. 

How is your day going. 

Hope all is well. 

I was lying?  

Your mindlessly posting isn’t real? 
My days fine.  You should know I would respond.  You just don’t understand how this all works.  

cue up a dumb photo and whining about the neg rep.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

A QB can't operate at optimum level when he's getting tossed to the ground all day & running for his life. 

Those terrible (What the hell was that?) throws are the result of him ANTICIPATING PRESSURE and having complete brain farts. The Jets Oline was on a record pace for giving up sacks, and self preservation is real in a game where 270Lb players running 4.5 40s are chasing your azz around from the snap of the ball. 

Wait until Sam Darnold gets a chance to have a complete group of offensive weapons like a better #1 WR, Herndon healthy & a complete Oline protecting him. The other most important thing is keeping him & Gase together long enough that Sam can execute the play calls with his eyes closed, and change plays at the LOS based on the defense. 

I loved the way Parcells brought the mistake prone Vinnie T along. The more Vinnie was familiar with the offense, the easier it got & the less he threw stupid interceptions. And he was a freaking veteran QB compared to Darnold. Hell, go watch the Vinnie vs Ravens in Baltimore game. Super highs, and soul crushing lows of WTF throws. At some point Sam will have enough weapons around him to not try to win on every down. That will be when we'll see him just throw a ball at a guys feet or toss it out of bounds. Right now he's like trying to train a rambuncious young Lab. 

This dude is showing mad glimpses at a very young age for a guy that has played QB for a mere few years. He's always confident in himself, when he gets comfortable with his protection, his weapons, and sometimes runs for 1st downs & slides, he'll be a huge PITA for defensive coordinators. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This is a self-defeating argument, as it leads to a logical endpoint of "stop trying".

You always have to keep trying.

If we fail to develop Sam (we shouldn't have to develop a #1 pick QB btw, they're supposed to be "get experience, get great" if they're legit), it could mean many things.  That Sam was never that great to start.  That we faikled to "develop" him.  That we failed to support him with talent around him, O-line, etc.

You still have to field a team, and try again, and have a backup QB.  I am not comfortable going into future years with Seimian and Fales.  

So I'd use a mid-round pick IF an appropriate developmental QB prospect were available.  i.e. O-line in the first (Franchise Tackle?), O-line in the second (Center?), WR in the Third, O-Line in the Third, Backup QB in the Fourth, BAP/Whatever the rest of the way. 

Add another WR in Free Agency, and I'd be ok with that kind of draft this year.  It would be foundational (the kind of draft we SHOULD have had the year before we picked Darnold, lol).  Better not screw it up tho....

Understood, if you're saying that a 4th round type guy is essentially an insurance policy on Sam then I understand that.  I'm suggesting that we "keep trying" by using those 4th round type resources to continue supporting and developing the high-potential guy we have.  I'd still rather use that 4th on an OG, maybe a FB (after seeing what San Fran and NE are doing), a RB or....brace yourself....a Kicker.

Agreed about Siemian and Falk.  It's time to move on, but I still like those savvy veteran types for backups, not always a young up-and-comer. It's nice to have that extra voice of experience talking to your starting QB and providing a fresh perspective.  JMHO.  Oh, and to be clear, I'm NOT suggesting getting a McCown and paying him $10M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Less confident than I was pre-season. Too many dumbass plays so far this year. He seems to be good from a clean pocket but has a lot of brain farts under duress. 

Define Clean pocket.   Cause Sam has rarely been in a clean pocket.  He's made some great plays under duress as well. This OL is so atrociously bad that when he's under pressure and makes a good play it's gets discarded because it looks like a clean pocket compared to all the free runners and lack of Blitz pick up from the OL.    I did expect more from Sam this year but I did not expect the OL to be this bad.  They have played 2 games this year where they actually graded out as the 22nd and 20th best OL of the week,  The Dallas game and Yesterday.   Every other week 31st or 32nd.  I mean Jesus in games where the OL played just bad.  Sam has gone completed 67.7% of his passes going 42-62 for 631 yds 6 TDs 2 Ints.  

I look at that and I am very confident in Sam.   Where I lack confidence is the organization building an OL around him. They need to do what New Orleans has done before it's too late.  And quite honestly if they can build an OL that can just be ranked 16th in the league every week Sam will be fine.  Imagine what he does behind a New Orleans or Dallas like line.

• Upvote 3

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Understood, if you're saying that a 4th round type guy is essentially an insurance policy on Sam then I understand that.

I have certain beliefs as to how a football team should be managed.  Yes, I know I am "just a fan", not a GM, but still.

One of my most oft-stated belief is "winning begins and ends in the trenches".  I.e. The O-Line and D-Line.  Especially the O-line.

Another is "always have another QB in the pipeline".  I think it behooves teams, especially perennially QB-poor teams, to always be planning for the "next" QB, no matter how good the one you have may look.  I loathe the journeyman veteran loser concept.  I much prefer the young kid with potential model.  And the risk-reward of mid-round picks warrants their occasional use for these secondary long-term developmental/backup QB type players.  Bruises and issues aside, I'd have loved, when Sam got Monolol, to have had a Mason Rudolph behind him to play.  I think that is always better, for the long term health of the franchise an QB position, that a placeholder veteran.

I'm suggesting that we "keep trying" by using those 4th round type resources to continue supporting and developing the high-potential guy we have.  I'd still rather use that 4th on an OG, maybe a FB (after seeing what San Fran and NE are doing), a RB or....brace yourself....a Kicker.

There comes a point of diminishing returns.  We cannot and should not draft 7 O-linemen.  Nor should we enter 2020 with Trevor Simian as our #2 QB and Whoeverthehellheis Fales as the #3.  By all means, I'm with you on investing four top picks (1st, 2nd, 3rd #1 and 3rd #2) into supporting Darnold.  Honestly, if using that 4th is what makes or breaks Darnold, he was going to break regardless.  

Agreed about Siemian and Falk.  It's time to move on, but I still like those savvy veteran types for backups, not always a young up-and-comer. It's nice to have that extra voice of experience talking to your starting QB and providing a fresh perspective.  JMHO.  Oh, and to be clear, I'm NOT suggesting getting a McCown and paying him $10M.

In year 1, despite my dislike for it, I could see some value in having an old man to hold Junior's pee pee for him as a rookie.

In year 3, no.  If Sam is still in proverbial diapers in his third year, he's trash and needs to go.  He needs to BE the leader and Vet by year 3, not still need Papa McCown to give him a teddy bear after every INT he throws. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, King P said:

I only brought up Winston as an example because I only partially agree with the option that I chose. I picked it for the "he's had a mix of good games and bad games" not for the "too many mistakes" because there are QBs that will just always make alot of mistakes because that's their nature. Gunslinger QBs will always exists, so if you get one that makes alot of mistakes but also makes alot of great plays, sometimes you have to accept the good with the bad

I get what you were trying to say but Winston isnt even good enough to accept the good with the bad. 18 ints this yr already 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What I would be more interested to read is what everyone defines a Franchise QB as.  I think that likely differs a great deal from poster to poster.

At this point in time, I think Darnold is the best QB the Jets have had since Vinny.  

I guess my definition is can the Jets win a Superbowl with him?  I think they can, but not with this roster.  I don't think anyone could with this roster.  Some would probably say MVP level is their definition.  I don't know if he'll ever get to that level.  Physically he could, mentally he'd have to grow a lot.

I think FQB has to be MVP type talent and production. That doesn't mean being a Peyton manning in MVP discussion every year, but someone like Matt Ryan, who has proven over the course of his carreer that he is a good QB. 

I also think Pennington in his first years as a Jet was much better than anything we've seen form Darnold so far. He's slightly better than Sanchez, but with much less to show for it. 

NJ.com predicts NY Jets wind up picking #5 in 2020 NFL draft. 

5) Jets: Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

The Jets have the makings of a dynamic offense with quarterback Sam Darnold, running back Le’Veon Bell and possession receiver Jamison Crowder, but add the premier wide receiver and a legitimate deep threat in Alabama's Jerry Jeudy to Darnold’s arsenal.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, funaz said:

I also think Pennington in his first years as a Jet was much better than anything we've seen form Darnold so far. He's slightly better than Sanchez, but with much less to show for it. 

Wait, a third year player who threw 5K yards over 2 seasons is the guy youre pimping?  

One on a much better team, with a much better roster?

Really?