What is your confidence level that Sam Darnold is the Jets long-term Franchise QB?

jetstream23

How confident are you that Darnold is the franchise quarterback the Jets have longed for?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. How confident are you that Darnold is the long-term answer at quarterback for the Jets?

• 100% Confident. I've seen enough to know Sam is "the one." No doubt.
    • Very Confident. He's trending towards being an excellent QB. I think he's our 10+ year QB.
    • Pretty sure. He's looked great at times, but not consistent enough yet to know if he's truly the guy.
    • Not sure. It's been a mix of good games and bad games. Still too many mistakes to know if he can be the answer.
    • Not confident. He's not nearly consistent enough and games like New England are a big red flag for me.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

A QB can't operate at optimum level when he's getting tossed to the ground all day & running for his life. 

Those terrible (What the hell was that?) throws are the result of him ANTICIPATING PRESSURE and having complete brain farts. The Jets Oline was on a record pace for giving up sacks, and self preservation is real in a game where 270Lb players running 4.5 40s are chasing your azz around from the snap of the ball. 

Wait until Sam Darnold gets a chance to have a complete group of offensive weapons like a better #1 WR, Herndon healthy & a complete Oline protecting him. The other most important thing is keeping him & Gase together long enough that Sam can execute the play calls with his eyes closed, and change plays at the LOS based on the defense. 

I loved the way Parcells brought the mistake prone Vinnie T along. The more Vinnie was familiar with the offense, the easier it got & the less he threw stupid interceptions. And he was a freaking veteran QB compared to Darnold. Hell, go watch the Vinnie vs Ravens in Baltimore game. Super highs, and soul crushing lows of WTF throws. At some point Sam will have enough weapons around him to not try to win on every down. That will be when we'll see him just throw a ball at a guys feet or toss it out of bounds. Right now he's like trying to train a rambuncious young Lab. 

This dude is showing mad glimpses at a very young age for a guy that has played QB for a mere few years. He's always confident in himself, when he gets comfortable with his protection, his weapons, and sometimes runs for 1st downs & slides, he'll be a huge PITA for defensive coordinators. 

MAD GLIMPSES YO

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I saw a long throw yesterday for a TD that gave me goosebumps and reminded me of Namath.  He has the arm talent and work ethic to be successful.  Im comfortable that with experience and better protection and better supporting cast he will be a top ten QB.  As far as top 5 , I think we need to see how he continues to play this year and next, but I think he will be our guy for the next 10-15 yrs

That throw to Crowder was an absolute dime I was amazed too...I’m far too young to compare it to anything Namath did but still amazed nonetheless 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'm pretty close to going to the archived version of Jetsinsider and copy/pasting the posts of you rimming Sanchez until your tongue was Hershey's brown just to get you to shut the f*ck up.

??????? I think I remember when he went full out Nico for Sanchez...I remember he had this same shtick for Geno but he turned out to be right(not that hard of call it though tbh) 

• Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One of my most oft-stated belief is "winning begins and ends in the trenches".  I.e. The O-Line and D-Line.  Especially the O-line.

Not the sexy move but the right one.  Agree totally

Another is "always have another QB in the pipeline".  I think it behooves teams, especially perennially QB-poor teams, to always be planning for the "next" QB, no matter how good the one you have may look.  I loathe the journeyman veteran loser concept.  I much prefer the young kid with potential model.  And the risk-reward of mid-round picks warrants their occasional use for these secondary long-term developmental/backup QB type players.  Bruises and issues aside, I'd have loved, when Sam got Monolol, to have had a Mason Rudolph behind him to play.  I think that is always better, for the long term health of the franchise an QB position, that a placeholder veteran.

Keep in mind that most kid backups, ones in year two dont play well.  ANd really Rudolph is a perfect example.  I get hes better than what we have but theres no guarantee that hes as good or better than what we would have got from Seimien.  While not needing to be developed.  And hardly old.  And lets be honest, most mid round picks at QB fail.  Hell, most 1st round QBs fail.

In year 1, despite my dislike for it, I could see some value in having an old man to hold Junior's pee pee for him as a rookie.

Never understood the argument against it.  Just because he cost money and there is no quantifiable way to measure the return, lets cry over money we had to spend

Sam makes mistakes.  Are they bad, against the Pats and almost to the same degree against the Jags, yes they were.

Against the Bills, they should have put up 20, 200 yards, 69%, 1 TD, ) TOs, 85 QR.  He played better than most against that D, with mono.  

He lit up Dallas.  338 yards, 72%, 2 Tds, 1 INT, 114 QR

Miami, 260 yards, 69%, 1 TD, 1 INT, 85 QR

Giants, 230 yds, 63%, 1 TD, 0 TOs,  83 QR

And yesterdays 121 QR game.

It hasnt all been pretty but hes a 22 year old 2nd year QB with barely over one year experience.  He struggled against two really good defenses after coming back in record time from mono. 

Its unbelievably rare that a healthy, top of the first round QB doesnt get a second deal.  No reason to think Sam wont unless the wheels fall off

I'm somewhere between "pretty sure" and "very confident." I would probably just say "I'm confident, but I still need to see more."

Basically, I think Sam has two elite traits: 1) Top end arm talent and 2) An ability to avoid pass-rushers and extend plays with his feet, while keeping his eyes downfield. If you combine those with his level-headed demeanor, I think you have yourself a very promising prospect. 

I think he still has to prove he can be consistent and continue to minimize the killer interceptions. I am confident that will happen, but not 100% sure. 

I was pissed about the INT, until I watched the replay.  Montgomery didn't really try for it and it wasn't that far off.  I think he was aiming for a guy in front of the D, so it should have been fairly safe.  It was a little off target and Montgomery must have thought it was for someone else, so it still ended up a disaster, but it wasn't a guy going green light on the red.

• Upvote 4

He's inconsistent because he doesn't have an OL, not even a serviceable one. Once we put a legit OL in front of him, we can see who he really is. I like his attitude, and I like that he recovers from mistakes made in game and it's not like an avalanche of bad decisions because he gets all emotional about the one mistake. If the Jets don't get him an OL, then it will just be a waste of a good QB. I don't know how good he can be, time will tell. 

• Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

if the article that darnold told gase what kind of offense to run has any credibility then he's going to be the guy for quite some time.  he knows his strengths and gase should be calling plays to those strengths.

Yes, if it’s true, and the results are turning around then we have something. I’m slowly feeling better I just need him to hold it together in tough games, and throw the ball away. 

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

??????? I think I remember when he went full out Nico for Sanchez...I remember he had this same shtick for Geno but he turned out to be right(not that hard of call it though tbh) 

Yup.  Called him out on it there too and it was all crickets.

• Upvote 1

To be fair over his first years he has had one of the worst OL in football.  Not saying he doesn’t have things he needs to fix BUT when you have a bad OL it makes life so much tougher.  Also we don’t know how healthy he is.  Between the mono, toe, and thumb I feel like it has had an effect this year.  I’m looking forward to these last 6 games as well as the offseason.  I expect Douglas to use high draft picks on OL this year and for that to be the main priority 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

With that said, I fully expect him getting 2020 and 2021 to show us.  Rightfully so, given the investment in him.

With that said, I wouldn't object to a mid-round pick being used on a young backup QB we could also develop while we wait and see.  Nothing too high, those picks need to go to building around Sam.  But a 4th or so is worth the risk if the right QB is there.  

I'd much rather the Jets use that 4th pick on the OL, CB or WR, even if these guys don't become starters they can be depth in the event of injuries. Jets have so many needs they can't afford to waste any pick on a developmental QB, like it or not Jets live or die with Sam.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

I'd much rather the Jets use that 4th pick on the OL, CB or WR, even if these guys don't become starters they can be depth in the event of injuries. Jets have so many needs they can't afford to waste any pick on a developmental QB, like it or not Jets live or die with Sam.

Given Sam's durability to-date, it's not for a developmental player, but a young backup.

Yes, we can spare the pick.  Free agency is a thing too, and we have plenty of cap space.

I refuse to live and die by any one player.  Had we followed my vision, Teddy Bridgewater would have been out backup, and we'd (I guarantee you) not be basically eliminated already at this point.

Also, no to CB.  Our CB's are fine (fine enough to compete).  We don't need a CB, the Defense can take a god damn backseat for one draft.  Or spend the 5th on CB if you must.  O-Line (1), O-line/WR (2), O-line (3), O-Skill (3), QB (4), CB (5), Who cares (6-7).  WR in Free Agency, CB in Free Agency.  Done and dusted.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yup...and you said Watson was a 2nd-3rd round pick and Mahomes wasn't 1st round material..

Image result for macho man gifs

Before the combine, for the umpteenth time.  By draft day I was hoping we'd pick Watson and would not have minded Mahomes.

You wanted to draft JT Barrett in the first.

F*ck out my mentions grandpa.

58 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Crowder is a slot WR and was a great pickup but the Jets need a real WR1, after a LT,C and RT.

Yep. We can throw big $ at 1, maybe 2 of those next yr. draft another in first and 2nd, possibly another first if we trade Jamal.. Will be an exciting offseason.. Defense will definitely be taking a backseat for ONCE, for next 3-4 years at least 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Will wait to judge when he is not behind one of worst Olines in entire nfl ?‍♂️

Fair point.  But, if you see him doing okay now, maybe good on occasion, maybe uneven but with periods of excellence.....shouldn't that tell you that he'd only be better with a decent OLine?

I've actually been taking into account the total sh!tshow of an offense this 22 year old kid has around him and I'm finding comfort that (outside of the NE game) his performances have at least mediocre and sometimes excellent.  THAT is telling me his floor is pretty damn high if he can win games even over teams like the Giants and Redskins (and the Dallas aberration) with one of the bottom 3 rosters in football.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Fair point.  But, if you see him doing okay now, maybe good on occasion, maybe uneven but with periods of excellence.....shouldn't that tell you that he'd only be better with a decent OLine?

I've actually been taking into account the total sh!tshow of an offense this 22 year old kid has around him and I'm finding comfort that (outside of the NE game) his performances have at least mediocre and sometimes excellent.  THAT is telling me his floor is pretty damn high if he can win games even over teams like the Giants and Redskins (and the Dallas aberration) with one of the bottom 3 rosters in football.

It should, but nothing if ever predictable. He has a lot more raw talent then mark Sanchez ever did, but he was someone we thought would improve with years too.. Mark had 1 of the best OL in league for his first 2 years and still sucked ha. Think everyone is way too in a rush to judge rookies.. or 2nd, even 3rd yr  qbs

• Upvote 1