How have we scored opening drive TDs in the last 4 games, then gotten worse?

thshadow

We've opened up each of the last 4 games with opening drive TDs (right?).  But then afterwards, the team / Darnold has been significantly worse.  Yesterday wasn't as bad as last week, but still.  How have we been so consistent on opening drives, but inconsistent the rest of the way?  Normally I'd give some credit to the coach, for the first scripted plays.  But if it's good coaching - why can't they keep it up?

Is Darnold having a lot of input on the opening drive - but then Gase screws up the rest of the game?

6 minutes ago, thshadow said:

We've opened up each of the last 4 games with opening drive TDs (right?).  But then afterwards, the team / Darnold has been significantly worse.  Yesterday wasn't as bad as last week, but still.  How have we been so consistent on opening drives, but inconsistent the rest of the way?  Normally I'd give some credit to the coach, for the first scripted plays.  But if it's good coaching - why can't they keep it up?

Is Darnold having a lot of input on the opening drive - but then Gase screws up the rest of the game?

they've had trouble adjusting as the defense adjusts to the scripted plays.  a lot of this is due to the limitations of the personnel.  and then some must fall on gase who maybe falls too much in love with his early plays to adjust.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

they've had trouble adjusting as the defense adjusts to the scripted plays.  a lot of this is due to the limitations of the personnel.  and then some must fall on gase who maybe falls too much in love with his early plays to adjust.

Yup. Defense see's how you're attacking and makes adjustments. The counter adjustment doesn't seem to happen soon enough, if at all. It took Gase 11 weeks to adjust the damn cadence - most coaches would have that done the same quarter if defenses were onto it.

stop over thinking it 

If we scored every drive we’d be 16-0 and super bowl champions. The other team is allowed to make plays too.

Moreover, the last few weeks a few things have happened

- penalties have put the team on 2nd 20 type situations 

- the defense has allowed long drives to the opponent limiting our opportunities 

nothing else to see here 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yup. Defense see's how you're attacking and makes adjustments. The counter adjustment doesn't seem to happen soon enough, if at all. It took Gase 11 weeks to adjust the damn cadence - most coaches would have that done the same quarter if defenses were onto it.

not to defend gase too much but it's been quite some time where the jets have scored on opening drives.  this has been a problem going back to the rex daze.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not to defend gase too much but it's been quite some time where the jets have scored on opening drives.  this has been a problem going back to the rex daze.

yeah alot of that was lack of good qb...we got the qb now....i pray that this is signs of good things to come but Gase Lost me wiht his inept coaching and playcalling this year. 

I hope Im wrong but it seems despite winng the last two games...that the coaching still sucks..plays still sucj and we just lucky caise the def carried us..

7 minutes ago, Y3k said:

- the defense has allowed long drives to the opponent limiting our opportunities 

nothing else to see here 

But if the defense allows long drives, then we get the ball back, so that's not the reason we are not scoring as much after that first drive.

I believe it's the adjustments the other team is making on defense and the fact that only the first drive is scripted.