After watching last nights game, I came to the realization that if Darnold doesn't learn and make better decisions that the Jets may end up with their version of Rivers. Rivers is an above average QB. He has a unique throwing style and sometimes throws in odd positions.  He makes accurate throws but also can make bad decisions.

Watching Rivers throw his 4th pick of the night it dawned on me that, I could be watching the future for Sam.

Let me get this clear.... I do not hope for this or do I think this will happen, but I believe it is possible. 10+ years of above average play that ends up getting you a mediocre football team because he cannot close when he needed. We have not seen this year Darnold come through in the clutch at the end of a game. I am truly curious as to what happened to Rivers that he ended up like this but it certainly feels like the Jets are heading this direction and its scary. 10 years of under-performance and failed hope with talent all around on offense and Defense they just can't put it all together, and they have a franchise QB.

I hope that the Jets do not end up down this path. That would almost be worse then being the Browns.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 4

Darnold's floor was the Patriots game. 

Or was that his basement?

I dunno.  I look forward to seeing him progress over the last 6 games of the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

His floor is Philip Rivers at 38 years old and his ceiling is Philip Rivers at 28 years old.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Chargers and Rivers have been the Eagles of the AFC. I'll take that, takes a team and some luck to get the Lombardi. Want SB, but would take phukin Rivers any day. Beats the garbage we've had and tickets wouldn't wind up in the garbage.

• Upvote 1

For some reason, I don’t think Darnold only scores 17 points in a AFC Divisional game. I know our defense was raw as hell in 2009 but the guy choked so hard.

21 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Rivers has been one of the best QB's in the league for the last 10-12 years. 

He's 3-4 in the playoffs in his career...and hasn't been to the playoffs since the Jets beat him years ago.

He's a solid player but I would agree with the OP - he's about what Sam's floor is.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, we'll be in real deep sh*t if Darnold turns out to be Philip Rivers

Rivers Can't win... he is great QB that plays down to opportunity.. Has never won anything substantial and will never win a Superbowl... 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, CTM said:

You think Darnolds floor is Phillip Rivers ? Do you know what that word means ?

Rivers is closer to his ceiling than his floor.

I know what floor means and I think Darnold's floor is much higher then certain posters here.  I think that Darnold is on a Rivers type path currently, if he doesn't improve he will end up with a similar career. And in no way do I think Darnold's floor is Sanchez or similar, JMHO

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Rivers Can't win... he is great QB that plays down to opportunity.. Has never won anything substantial and will never win a Superbowl... 

Yeah most likely. Borderline HOF? I'd take HOF over SB.

• Confused 1

Last night's game only shows that any good QB can have a horrible day.  Rivers
performance was probably even worse than Darnold's against NE.  Why?  Because KC
defense stinks and Rivers is a 15 year vet who should know better

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

A 16 year career sure would feel like wasted Draft compensation 

When you are a .500 football team year in and out under-performing... It is a wasted pick. No matter how long he plays.... If he doesn't win a Superbowl, Sam will be considered a failure...

• Butt Fumble 1

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Last night's game only shows that any good QB can have a horrible day.  Rivers
performance was probably even worse than Darnold's against NE.  Why?  Because KC
defense stinks and Rivers is a 15 year vet who should know better

The Mexican Mafia wanted KC.

28 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, we'll be in real deep sh*t if Darnold turns out to be Philip Rivers

27 minutes ago, CTM said:

You think Darnolds floor is Phillip Rivers ? Do you know what that word means ?

Rivers is closer to his ceiling than his floor.

Yes, 10+ years of above average QB play would really suck compared to what we are use to. The horror !

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's 3-4 in the playoffs in his career...and hasn't been to the playoffs since the Jets beat him years ago.

He's a solid player but I would agree with the OP - he's about what Sam's floor is.

What? He won a playoff game last year 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

Yeah most likely. Borderline HOF? I'd take HOF over SB.

Not me... Superbowl or Marino.... I take Superbowl... NO I AM NOT SAYING SAM IS MARINO.... If I had the choice of Marino's career or winning a Superbowl I would take SB, no question.

29 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Rivers has been one of the best QB's in the league for the last 10-12 years. 

Ok, and can't win the big game.... Stafford too... 

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

When you are a .500 football team year in and out under-performing... It is a wasted pick. No matter how long he plays.... If he doesn't win a Superbowl, Sam will be considered a failure...

No one said anything about accolades. Those don’t have to be the same. The OP was making a stark comparison between playing style and the possibility of underachieving. I don’t think Sam loses like that once he get his NFL feet under him.

Another in depth discussion on what extreme end of the spectrum Darnold COULD become.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Darnold's floor was the Patriots game. 

Or was that his basement?

I dunno.  I look forward to seeing him progress over the last 6 games of the season.

Rivers has had games like that... So bad games doesn't mean career trajectory.

Rivers is a good example I think of where Darnold could end up.  

Very good QB that may not be able to carry a team on his back.  

Matthew Stafford is another example.   

I am seeing Darnold on the team a long time.  I am interested to see where Trubisky, Marriott and Winston end up.  Darnold will be not be Bortles.

But I would try to explain to Darnold that he can’t be overpaid, because that will leave less money for supporting cast.  The most important asset for the Jets are draft picks.  They need cheaper players and will not be able to afford to spend money on ILBs and mediocre DL anymore.  

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not me... Superbowl or Marino.... I take Superbowl... NO I AM NOT SAYING SAM IS MARINO.... If I had the choice of Marino's career or winning a Superbowl I would take SB, no question.

One of the greats to have ever played stays for life vs. one of many winning the SB. Introduced as the ''Great'' ,or HOF'er. I think I'd take that instead.

25 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Chargers and Rivers have been the Eagles of the AFC. I'll take that, takes a team and some luck to get the Lombardi. Want SB, but would take phukin Rivers any day. Beats the garbage we've had and tickets wouldn't wind up in the garbage.

Not even close... Eagles built a Superbowl franchise. Chargers have never been close, because the inconsistent QB play. 

Sam Darnold’s floor is Phillip Rivers..

Where do I sign!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Rivers is a good example I think of where Darnold could end up.  

Very good QB that may not be able to carry a team on his back.  

Matthew Stafford is another example.   

I am seeing Darnold on the team a long time.  I am interested to see where Trubisky, Marriott and Winston end up.  Darnold will be not be Bortles.

But I would try to explain to Darnold that he can’t be overpaid, because that will leave less money for supporting cast.  The most important asset for the Jets are draft picks.  They need cheaper players and will not be able to afford to spend money on ILBs and mediocre DL anymore.  

I agree with this... But where I disagree is that I think that Darnold can be better and can carry the team IF he improves... If he stays where he is, then it is headed to Rivers,Stafford territory. Darnold is young to the QB world... His ceiling is very high, depending on how much he can learn and translate to play. 

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not even close... Eagles built a Superbowl franchise. Chargers have never been close, because the inconsistent QB play. 

Eagles came close 5 times...couldn't get over the hump because of Reid, and mostly McPuke.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Rivers, as a starter, averages 4,192 Yards Passing, with 29 TD's vs. 14 INT's and a 65% Completion Percentage.

Darnold hasn't sniffed anywhere near this kind of production as yet.  Not even in the same neighborhood.

Maybe, and this is just a thought, we should wait till Darnold shows us he can produce for even a single year at this level before we declare this level his "floor", with (one must presume) his "ceiling" being what, much better than Rivers?  Like, Manning/Rodgers/Brady performance then?

Look, we'd all love it if Darnold becomes a 4,500 Yard, 30 TD to 10 INT, 70% completion elite QB.

Declaring Rivers as Darnoldd's "floor", today, is just beyond laughable. 

Hyperbole at it's most homer.

I get it... You don't agree. You need to see more... I am firmly in the camp that Darnold is here for 15 years... barring injury... I just hope he turns out to be better then Rivers... Stats are great... Superbowls are the goal.

• Upvote 1

I kind of get the comparison because right now my assessment (subject to change) of Sam Darnold is that of a 10 year starter but doesn’t have the killer instinct mental strength to be elite enough to to win it all.

Rivers in that category of one of the best to never appear in Super Bowl.  I hope that’s not Sam but I could see it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

Eagles came close 5 times...couldn't get over the hump because of Reid, and mostly McPuke.

Chargers aren't even close to philly.