Darnold's Floor

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I kind of get the comparison because right now my assessment (subject to change) of Sam Darnold is that of a 10 year starter but doesn’t have the killer instinct mental strength to be elite enough to to win it all.

Rivers in that category of one of the best to never appear in Super Bowl.  I hope that’s now Sam but I could see it. 

This is more or less the point I was trying to get at.

• Upvote 1

Interesting...  Not too sure they are similar type of QB's other than they both have less than classic throwing motions.  Rivers throws side arm and Darnold has a longer throwing arc in comparison to most other pro QB's.  Both Rivers and Darnold have low release points relative to their height.  Familiar examples of a high release point would be Tom Brady and Chad Pennington. 

With respect to decision making.  Sam has not been around long enough to prove out one way or the other.  He's still at the very beginning of his pro career and in the midst of learning the position.

We also have nothing to go on regarding how Sam will play in the clutch.  The Jets have not been anywhere close to a "big game" since the 2010 playoffs.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

One of the greats to have ever played stays for life vs. one of many winning the SB. Introduced as the ''Great'' ,or HOF'er. I think I'd take that instead.

Ok, so we disagree on what we hope for the QBs career.  I would rather Superbowls then HOF... you are the opposite. That's fine.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

I kind of get the comparison because right now my assessment (subject to change) of Sam Darnold is that of a 10 year starter but doesn’t have the killer instinct mental strength to be elite enough to to win it all.

Rivers in that category of one of the best to never appear in Super Bowl.  I hope that’s now Sam but I could see it. 

Killer instincts are developed sometimes. When a QB has the experience, going thru the motions of a drive almost feels easy after 7-8 years I could imagine. It won’t always be this hard and I think Darnold has enough natural arm talent mixed with a gunslinger/gambling mindset that he’ll go for the kill when he has experience and confidence. He needs to get his NFL feet under him first.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Ok, so we disagree on what we hope for the QBs career.  I would rather Superbowls then HOF... you are the opposite. That's fine.

That would be my personal preference if I played, HOF over SB if it had to be. Jets wise as a fan I'd take Dilfer get my second SB, first as an adult and be very happy.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Killer instincts are developed sometimes. When a QB has the experience, going they the motions of a drive almost feels easy after 7-8 years I could imagine. It won’t always be this hard and I think Darnold has enough natural arm talent mixed with a gunslinger/gambling mindset that he’ll go for the kill when he has experience and confidence. He needs to get his NFL feet under him first.

I hope so... That's why I am saying, I have hope that he turns out better in terms of taking a team on his back to win.

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I get it... You don't agree.

I cited real numbers.  Has nothing to do with agree or disagree, it's pure facts. 

Rivers has been an extremely durable and productive NFL QB for well over a decade.

Darnold, in his two years so far, has not.  He has missed time.  He has not been close to as productive as Rivers.

Projections and hope are fine, but if you want to make a real argument that Phillip Rivers is Sam Darnold's "floor" you have to support that with more then wishes and rainbows.    

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You need to see more... I am firmly in the camp that Darnold is here for 15 years... barring injury... I just hope he turns out to be better then Rivers... Stats are great... Superbowls are the goal.

We all hope.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

I hope so... That's why I am saying, I have hope that he turns out better in terms of taking a team on his back to win.

QB’s aren’t just judged off stats, I’m learning quick that they are judged off wins more so than not. Darnold has to get wins and that includes tight wins at the end of games. That is what’s going to carve his name in the NFL. Seeing Darnold get it done when it doesn’t look like he can.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not me... Superbowl or Marino.... I take Superbowl... NO I AM NOT SAYING SAM IS MARINO.... If I had the choice of Marino's career or winning a Superbowl I would take SB, no question.

I think he was talking about the players perspective.  Not ours or I agree with you.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Killer instincts are developed sometimes. When a QB has the experience, going thru the motions of a drive almost feels easy after 7-8 years I could imagine. It won’t always be this hard and I think Darnold has enough natural arm talent mixed with a gunslinger/gambling mindset that he’ll go for the kill when he has experience and confidence. He needs to get his NFL feet under him first.

Sometimes but not often but I also think it’s silly to dismiss his age at this point so it could happen with Sam.  You’re right, he’s got some gunslinger in him which can help as gets more confidence.  He needs to someone that he can just throw it up too to help him get there. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sometimes but not often but I also think it’s silly to dismiss his age at this point so it could happen with Sam.  You’re right, he’s got some gunslinger in him which can help as gets more confidence.  He needs to someone that he can just throw it up too to help him get there. 

An AJ Green or Mike Evans type of WR would be ideal.. does Gase’s schemes even allow for any other WR besides the Slot to do well though? Seems like everyone else gets froze out except Crowder and occasionally the TE’s.

we definitely need a big bodied WR though. If Sam gets a connection with one of those types of guys. It’s going to be fun to watch Sam toss it up on a 50/50 because Sam does have terrific ball placement most of the time. It’ll be fun.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, we'll be in real deep sh*t if Darnold turns out to be Philip Rivers

1 hour ago, CTM said:

You think Darnolds floor is Phillip Rivers ? Do you know what that word means ?

Rivers is closer to his ceiling than his floor.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Rivers has been one of the best QB's in the league for the last 10-12 years. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

At this point his floor is a lot closer to Sanchez than Rivers. TF?

"Voice of Reason", indeed.

@Jets Voice of Reason should be offended.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Voice of Reason", indeed.

@Jets Voice of Reason should be offended.  

Having a discussion point doesn't make it unreasonable to assess the way Sam is playing. Again you don't have to agree and have a counterpoint. Being levelheaded and having rational discussions doesn't always work on these forums because there is a mob mentality to it that if you don't agree with the consensus then you are totally out of your mind and deserved to get bashed.

Having an opposing view point doesn't make me wrong.  As I watched the game, I see Sam headed in this direction currently. You can disagree, this is how I see it. I really want to see him be better then that. A QB that wins games rather than what Rivers has become. Rivers has never gotten past that mediocre team, and I don't think its due to talent around him but rather that he is not exactly lifting the play of those around him. 

Whatever it is, chargers can't and won't ever win a superbowl with Rivers and I hope that doesn't turn out to be Sam.

Being a Voice of Reason doesn't mean that I agree with the crowd.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Being levelheaded and having rational discussions doesn't always work on these forums because there is a mob mentality to it that if you don't agree with the consensus then you are totally out of your mind and deserved to get bashed.

If you think suggesting that Darnold's floor is Philip Rivers constitutes being levelheaded and having rational discussion, you are totally out of your mind and deserve to get bashed.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Arguing that Darnold's floor is Philip Rivers, and that that is Actually Bad, absolutely makes you wrong.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

If you think suggesting that Darnold's floor is Philip Rivers constitutes being levelheaded and having rational discussion, you are totally out of your mind and deserve to get bashed.

Haha, and you 2 are the true level headed posters HAHAHAHA

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

so what would you say is darnolds ceiling

Russell Wilson... But it would take a lot to get there. He is not even close to that. Look at Rivers early career... Darnold is more similar then you may think, and Rivers barely played his first 2 years in the NFL behind Brees. He didn't start till year 3.

Sam Darnold is a kid who has played 17 games in 2 offenses. We really have no idea how good he can or will be but he's definitely going to be good. He obviously needs stability, time in the system and of course players around him starting with the o-line. I like everything about Sam from his demeanor, is athleticism, makes every single throw you need to make as a pro quarterback , has above-average arm strength great size and he definitely isn't a pussy. We got a good one here.  When I look around the league and I compare him with all the other quarterbacks I like what I see in Sam and hes 22 years old. The skill-set is in the upper echelon of quarterbacks across the board this kid's a keeper there's not even a question about it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

Sam Darnold is a kid who has played 17 games in 2 offenses. We really have no idea how good he can or will be but he's definitely going to be good. He obviously needs stability, time in the system and of course players around him starting with the o-line. I like everything about Sam from his demeanor, is athleticism, makes every single throw you need to make as a pro quarterback , has above-average arm strength great size and he definitely isn't a pussy. We got a good one here.  When I look around the league and I compare him with all the other quarterbacks I like what I see in Sam and hes 22 years old. The skill-set is in the upper echelon of quarterbacks across the board this kid's a keeper there's not even a question about it.

Wow, another voice of reason

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Floor: Jameis Winston

Ceiling: Big Ben

I think this is pretty close, although Darnold seems more mobile.  Someone stated Russell Wilson earlier in the thread.  I'll take it a step further since we're talking about ceilings.....If everything went right for Sam (development, supporting cast, coaching, weapons, etc.) I think he'd look like a hybrid of Russell Wilson's mobility with Big Ben's arm.

• Upvote 2