2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

When you are a .500 football team year in and out under-performing... It is a wasted pick. No matter how long he plays.... If he doesn't win a Superbowl, Sam will be considered a failure...

Failure is pretty harsh.

Marino, Moon, Kelly, Fouts, McNair and now Rivers.

No SB wins, hardly failures

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

An AJ Green or Mike Evans type of WR would be ideal.. does Gase’s schemes even allow for any other WR besides the Slot to do well though? Seems like everyone else gets froze out except Crowder and occasionally the TE’s.

we definitely need a big bodied WR though. If Sam gets a connection with one of those types of guys. It’s going to be fun to watch Sam toss it up on a 50/50 because Sam does have terrific ball placement most of the time. It’ll be fun.

Are they getting froze out, or is Crowder the only one getting open. Lol

I mean, Darnold's floor is clearly way worse than Rivers. We've seen what it looks like, it looks like a QB seeing ghosts with like a 0.4 passer rating.

"Bust" who we move on from after his rookie contract and never again becomes a teams #1 QB is clearly his floor... And this is coming from someone who believes in him.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

What does this say about those of us that keep coming back to read it?

We are fans of dumb comedy, I still laugh at farts too

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

"Bust" who we move on from after his rookie contract and never again becomes a teams #1 QB is clearly his floor... And this is coming from someone who believes in him.

truth.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Russell Wilson's mobility

that is not even remotely close to reality

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Darnolds floor is what you are seeing right now.. he is only going to get better

his floor is a QB who outside of the team aberration that was the NE game has a 96 passer rating and is on pace to throw for 4,000 yards... playing behind the objectively  worst OL in the NFL

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Butt Fumble 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

After watching last nights game, I came to the realization that if Darnold doesn't learn and make better decisions that the Jets may end up with their version of Rivers. Rivers is an above average QB. He has a unique throwing style and sometimes throws in odd positions.  He makes accurate throws but also can make bad decisions.

Watching Rivers throw his 4th pick of the night it dawned on me that, I could be watching the future for Sam.

Let me get this clear.... I do not hope for this or do I think this will happen, but I believe it is possible. 10+ years of above average play that ends up getting you a mediocre football team because he cannot close when he needed. We have not seen this year Darnold come through in the clutch at the end of a game. I am truly curious as to what happened to Rivers that he ended up like this but it certainly feels like the Jets are heading this direction and its scary. 10 years of under-performance and failed hope with talent all around on offense and Defense they just can't put it all together, and they have a franchise QB.

I hope that the Jets do not end up down this path. That would almost be worse then being the Browns.

Sir you're not supposed to climb in the microwave with your food

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

After watching last nights game, I came to the realization that if Darnold doesn't learn and make better decisions that the Jets may end up with their version of Rivers. Rivers is an above average QB. He has a unique throwing style and sometimes throws in odd positions.  He makes accurate throws but also can make bad decisions.

Watching Rivers throw his 4th pick of the night it dawned on me that, I could be watching the future for Sam.

Let me get this clear.... I do not hope for this or do I think this will happen, but I believe it is possible. 10+ years of above average play that ends up getting you a mediocre football team because he cannot close when he needed. We have not seen this year Darnold come through in the clutch at the end of a game. I am truly curious as to what happened to Rivers that he ended up like this but it certainly feels like the Jets are heading this direction and its scary. 10 years of under-performance and failed hope with talent all around on offense and Defense they just can't put it all together, and they have a franchise QB.

I hope that the Jets do not end up down this path. That would almost be worse then being the Browns.

If 4 TDs and 1 INT is a floor I'll take that any time. Everyone keeps mocking Wash. but as I stated earlier I believe they are ranked 9th against the pass meaning you a pretty good pass rush and decent coverage.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTM said:

You think Darnolds floor is Phillip Rivers ? Do you know what that word means ?

Rivers is closer to his ceiling than his floor.

He also argued that by the end of the season, Jets will be in position to make the playoffs.  So, probably not.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Rivers, as a starter, averages 4,192 Yards Passing, with 29 TD's vs. 14 INT's and a 65% Completion Percentage per year over 13 seasons where he played 16 games every year.

Darnold hasn't sniffed anywhere near this kind of production as yet.  Not even in the same neighborhood.

Maybe, and this is just a thought, we should wait till Darnold shows us he can produce for even a single year at this level before we declare this level his "floor", with (one must presume) his "ceiling" being what, much better than Rivers?  Like, Manning/Rodgers/Brady performance then?

Look, we'd all love it if Darnold becomes a 4,500 Yard, 30 TD to 10 INT, 70% completion elite QB.

Declaring Rivers as Darnold's "floor", today, is just beyond laughable

Hyperbole at it's most homer.

If Rivers is the floor, Darnold is submerged in concrete below the subbasement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

47 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

What's up with the bitchy crybabies on this board? I thought this is an open discussion about our quarterback? You guys start bickering like seven year old little girls. Its ridiculous man smh.

Seriously at at another level lately. And these people are the same adults that are like...kids these days 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

When you are a .500 football team year in and out under-performing... It is a wasted pick. No matter how long he plays.... If he doesn't win a Superbowl, Sam will be considered a failure...

Rivers is 122-97 as a starter. This is his 16th season, and his 14th as a starter. 8 of those seasons he's been better than .500, 3 have been losing seasons, he's thrown almost 200 more TD passes than interceptions. If Sam ends up being Rivers we are in great shape.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

When did this board become a pile on of assholes attacking people for sharing an opinion?  Holy sh*t.  Just don’t respond.  

If Phil Rivers was on the NY Jets, he would  get the same treatment as Chadwick Pennington did.  While Phil puts up numbers, he’s just as big of a no ball doofus as Chadwick was and probably more unlikeable. 

cant speak against the SDAC... ( Sam Darnold Apologists Club)   

the Great White Hype

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

Seriously at at another level lately. And these people are the same adults that are like...kids these days 

I mentioned it on several occasions, but a sports bulletin board site where there have to be at least a dozen 

posts which depict males masturbating to ejaculation in response to the beknighted QBs FEW decent performances...

sorry, but that ish is gross.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Floor is Matt Ryan, ceiling is Brett Favre 

So at the very least he will end his career top 10 in yards?

• Upvote 1

Well first of all, from just an athletic standpoint I think Rivers and Darnold are night and day different, in that Darnold can do many many things that Rivers can not.  From throwing at many different speeds, at different arm angles, making something out of nothing outside the pocket ala Roger Staubach...other than that they’re equal.

I ALWAYS felt from the second Rivers was drafted he didn’t have what it takes to win it all much less make deep playoff runs.  He has benefited, significantly, throughout his career, with what can be described as sometimes even outstanding talent surrounding him, similar to Matt Ryan.

As of last night I’d say the window has officially closed on Rivers career.  They can keep running him out there for another 5 years, which they might, better off them trading for Ryan Fitzpatrick, they’ll get about the same results at a much lower cost.

If it were my choice with Darold and Rivers on a draft board it won’t take me more than 2 seconds to decide.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I think this is pretty close, although Darnold seems more mobile.  Someone stated Russell Wilson earlier in the thread.  I'll take it a step further since we're talking about ceilings.....If everything went right for Sam (development, supporting case, coaching, weapons, etc.) I think he'd look like a hybrid of Russell Wilson's mobility with Big Ben's arm.

Good call by you...you also might say “Carson Palmer in the pocket and Tony Romo outside it” as a Scout said.  Not too shabby, either comparison.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Rivers, as a starter, averages 4,192 Yards Passing, with 29 TD's vs. 14 INT's and a 65% Completion Percentage per year over 13 seasons where he played 16 games every year.

Darnold hasn't sniffed anywhere near this kind of production as yet.  Not even in the same neighborhood.

Maybe, and this is just a thought, we should wait till Darnold shows us he can produce for even a single year at this level before we declare this level his "floor", with (one must presume) his "ceiling" being what, much better than Rivers?  Like, Manning/Rodgers/Brady performance then?

Look, we'd all love it if Darnold becomes a 4,500 Yard, 30 TD to 10 INT, 70% completion elite QB.

Declaring Rivers as Darnold's "floor", today, is just beyond laughable. 

Hyperbole at it's most homer.

You're comparing a 22 year old kid with 17 games under his belt to a HOF QB at this point of their careers? 

Come on, that's not fair.  Rivers didn't throw 4200 yards until his 6th season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y3k said:

Darnolds floor is what you are seeing right now.. he is only going to get better

his floor is a QB who outside of the team aberration that was the NE game has a 96 passer rating and is on pace to throw for 4,000 yards... playing behind the objectively  worst OL in the NFL

I saw one play last night where Rivers’ OL gave him practically a century to throw and had to think “I think that might be more time than Darnold has had after taking a snap ALL year long”....and Rivers still got picked 4 times, with lots of time, wasn’t just that 1 play.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

not to add fuel to the fire but Phillip Rivers was a top 3 MVP candidate last season.

it was widely recognized as a three-man race down the stretch between Pat Mahomes, Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers. 

This is in his what 14th season... sure... How about for all the people making fun of what I said, take a look at Rivers at the beginning of his career.

1 hour ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Failure is pretty harsh.

Marino, Moon, Kelly, Fouts, McNair and now Rivers.

No SB wins, hardly failures

Just my opinion for where this team is.... No superbowl wins would be a failure.

21 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

So at the very least he will end his career top 10 in yards?

At the very least

• Upvote 1

Ryan Fitzpatrick, statistically, had one of the top 3 QB seasons in Jets history (after '67 Namath, '98 Testaverde).  2nd in yards, 1st in TD's, 4th in QB rating among qualifying passers.

That's how bad this franchise's QB play has been since the merger.  

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Rivers is 122-97 as a starter. This is his 16th season, and his 14th as a starter. 8 of those seasons he's been better than .500, 3 have been losing seasons, he's thrown almost 200 more TD passes than interceptions. If Sam ends up being Rivers we are in great shape.

Yes, Sam is in Year 2... Rivers only played in 2 games after 2 years... didn't start till year 3... 

Bortles probably as a floor. 

The last strecth of the season is crucial. He's had two promising starts in a row after a horrific start. 23 games is probably a large enough sample to determine on how to move forward. Too much noise in this thread and not enough acknowledgment of what Darnold's produced to date weighted against other QB's their first two seasons. That's where the apprehension is coming from. Hoping for the best/reaching his ceiling vs trying again in the draft both need to be on the table.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes, Sam is in Year 2... Rivers only played in 2 games after 2 years... didn't start till year 3... 

Just stop. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're comparing a 22 year old kid with 17 games under his belt to a HOF QB at this point of their careers? 

Come on, that's not fair.  Rivers didn't throw 4200 yards until his 6th season.

Sure, it's an unfair comparison... In just about every circumstance except the one where the OP is stating that the absolute worst the 22-year-old QB will be, is the HOF QB's level.  In this specific, absurd case, it's the only comparison that needs making.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1