25 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Sam's floor is Andy Dalton and his ceiling is Aaron Rodgers.  

Half right 

26 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Okay? What does that have to do with anything?

Two years of practice.

Two years of maturity

Two years of class work

The way QBs used to be groomed?  Not learn on the fly and get killed for the expected mistakes happening on game days as opposed to practice fields?  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Half right 

Actually pretty spot on

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I take that back

What the hell is this shit?

Just now, The Crusher said:

What the hell is this sh*t?

It’s NOT cherry picking or biased. I was told Darnold’s floor is Joe Montana on steroids. 

• Upvote 1

Floor: Christian Hackenberg

Ceiling: Peyton Manning

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

What the hell is this sh*t?

it's absolute nonsense... although Brady is playing badly

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

When did this board become a pile on of assholes attacking people for sharing an opinion?  Holy sh*t.  Just don’t respond.  

If Phil Rivers was on the NY Jets, he would  get the same treatment as Chadwick Pennington did.  While Phil puts up numbers, he’s just as big of a no ball doofus as Chadwick was and probably more unlikeable. 

Nobody is more unlikable than Chadwick. You've gone too far this time twinkwit

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Arguing that Darnold's floor is Philip Rivers, and that that is Actually Bad, absolutely makes you wrong.

It is difficult to assume good faith with such an opinion 

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Haha, and you 2 are the true level headed posters HAHAHAHA

Compared to some 

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I saw one play last night where Rivers’ OL gave him practically a century to throw and had to think “I think that might be more time than Darnold has had after taking a snap ALL year long”....and Rivers still got picked 4 times, with lots of time, wasn’t just that 1 play.

So we can condemn a 17-year HOF career based on one bad game but crown Darnold despite lots of crummy games. Makes sense.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually pretty spot on

You want to argue Darnold has an Aaron Rogers ceiling, going to have to ask you to show your work.

• Confused 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

56 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

So glad that people on this board can engage in reasonable discussions without calling people stupid and telling them what an idiot they are... Jesus Christ... 

Agreeing and disagreeing is normal... calling people out and being jackasses is not something that I want to be engaged with. 

Whether you agree or disagree with the premise of what I THINK, his floor is or not. I still think he is on a trajectory of a QB that makes bad decision in crucial moments and hasn't won a game down the stretch similar to Romo or rivers or stafford.

You really think that the worst Darnold can be is Phillip Rivers? Not only is that an absurd premise to begin with, it's factually incorrect. He's spent almost 2 seasons as a starting QB playing worse than Rivers has ever played. Which kind of proves conclusively that his floor is much much lower than Rivers.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CTM said:

You really think that the worst Darnold can be is Phillip Rivers? Not only is that an absurd premise to begin with, it's factually incorrect. He's spent almost 2 seasons as a starting QB playing worse than Rivers has ever played. Which kind of proves conclusively that his floor is much much lower than Rivers.

In fairness, he's not comparing him to actual Philip Rivers.  He's comparing him to a wildly off-base caricature of Philip Rivers.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

It is difficult to assume good faith with such an opinion 

Compared to some 

So we can condemn a 17-year HOF career based on one bad game but crown Darnold despite lots of crummy games. Makes sense.

Obviously not based on 1 game.  Rivers has had a very nice career in many respects.  Darnold has much road in front of him and in my opinion there is a good chance he sees at least one Super Bowl.

Although if I were voting for the Hall of Fame, Rivers would not get my vote.  The guy spit the bit every time when the most chips were on the table...his entire career.

In fact I’d be more inclined to vote for Matt Ryan who for intents and purposes won a Super Bowl over New England, if not for some of the worst coaching in NFL history, and has had a very similar career to Rivers, compiling monster stats on stacked teams..but never not only winning it all but rarely even getting close to winning it all.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Obviously not based on 1 game.  Rivers has had a very nice career in many respects.  Darnold has much road in front of him and in my opinion there is a good chance he sees at least one Super Bowl.

Although if I were voting for the Hall of Fame, Rivers would not get my vote.  The guy spit the bit every time when the most chips were on the table...his entire career.

In fact I’d be more inclined to vote for Matt Ryan who for intents and purposes won a Super Bowl over New England, if not for some of the worst coaching in NFL history, and has had a very similar career to Rivers, compiling monster stats on stacked teams..but never not only winning it all but rarely even getting close to winning it all.

When someone criticizes Darnold’s W/L percentage: “Football is a team sport”

When someone argues Darnold is better than a HOF QB: “Well that guy didn’t win a SB.”

• Upvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

that is not even remotely close to reality

It sure is.  There's a difference between mobility and elusiveness, speed, etc.  Darnold has elite mobility in the pocket.....that could be forward, backward, left, right, side-stepping, climbing the pocket, etc.  It doesn't mean he's going to win a 40 or even 15 yard race against Russell Wilson.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

In his first season as a starter, he went 14-2 with 22 TDs and 9 INTs, 61.7%, and 92 QBR, leading the #1 ranked offense in points for, and #4 in yards.

Claiming Rivers as Darnold's floor is definitely short-sighted given what Rivers has accomplished in his career. However:

In Rivers' first season starting, he was a 24 year old QB who was a 4 year starter in college and had just sat and learned for two years behind Drew Brees, and played for a team that had won 21 games over the previous two seasons. Additionally, the Chargers in those years were an organization which was routinely considered the most talented team in the league with two sure-fire HoF weapons in their prime. Of course Rivers would be considerably better in his first season than Darnold.

That said, I can't think of a worse big game QB other than Matt Ryan over the last two decades (Goff is trending); the connecting thread being that they were propped up by great coaching and/or teammates, but when asked to carry the team, were unable to. When looked at through that lens, it's not inconceivable to believe that Darnold is similar. He hasn't proven the ability to beat good teams, but has proven the ability to pummel bad competition - but we also still haven't seen him play with a decent team around him. 

Maybe the better comp as a floor would be Kirk Cousins. 

As for all the snark in this thread talking about Darnold's floor being the Pats game: Rivers has three different games while in his prime and playing on superior teams and not playing against the greatest coach of all time where he had AY/Y of .58 or lower. In those three games, he combined for 0 TDs, 8 TOs, 7 sacks, 47% completion, and 339 yards. The point being, bad games happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

31 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

it's absolute nonsense... although Brady is playing badly

Thanks for clearing that up friend.

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

Claiming Rivers as Darnold's floor is short-sighted given what Rivers has accomplished in his career.

Could have stopped here.

We were specifically asked to look at River's early career.  I did.  Those were the results.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

When someone criticizes Darnold’s W/L percentage: “Football is a team sport”

When someone argues Darnold is better than a HOF QB: “Well that guy didn’t win a SB.”

Way too early to make comparisons. 

Darnold has barely played 1 year worth of pro games, although I would have loved to see Rivers operate within the EXACT same constraints that Darnold has had since Day 1 (Bowles as his coach, same personnel etc) and even then that doesn’t prove anything YET in totality.

Forget winning or even appearing in a Super Bowl, put that aside, how many AFC Championship games has Rivers appeared in in close to 20 years?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiF said:

When did this board become a pile on of assholes attacking people for sharing an opinion?  Holy sh*t.  Just don’t respond.  

If Phil Rivers was on the NY Jets, he would  get the same treatment as Chadwick Pennington did.  While Phil puts up numbers, he’s just as big of a no ball doofus as Chadwick was and probably more unlikeable. 

There are a few real assholes who are making this place miserable and almost unreadable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

elite mobility

except when he doesnt...whcih is often. good instincts some of the time. good mobility yes. elite. no.

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Could have stopped here.

We were specifically asked to look at River's early career.  I did.  Those were the results.

I also looked at River's early career. Specifically his first year. And tried to discuss it. Given your response, what's the point of any of this then? To feel good about beating up on some poster on the internet? 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I mean, when you think about it his floor is his inception ceiling and anal fizzures.

What's the point of this then? To feel good about beating up on some dude on the internet? Have at it then. I guess a discussion forum is no longer a place for a discussion

What, specifically, is there to discuss related to the notion that Sam Darnold is, at worst, Philip Rivers?

• Butt Fumble 2

Just now, TeddEY said:

What, specifically, is there to discuss related to the notion that Sam Darnold is, at worst, Philip Rivers?

This thread might be the floor of Darnold comparison threads

• Haha 2

Just now, CTM said:

This post is your ceiling.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

Doodie comes out of the butt

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It's in my initial post, but that's not what you and your friends come to JN for. So have at it. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It's in my initial post, but that's not what you and your friends come to JN for. So have at it. 

He has no friends. 

It's in my initial post, but that's not what you and your friends come to JN for. So have at it

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhh, sweeping generalizations.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

He has no friends. 

WELL APPARENTLY I HAVE ONE LESS NOW, LACKOFINTEGRITY28.

• Haha 1

I'm 5 pages deep so doubt I'm adding much but his floor is whatever he is now.

His ceiling is probably Aaron Rodgers ish

My thoughts on where he ultimately falls is probably peak Jeff Garcia(which I think is good)

• Upvote 1

It’s a bad comp.

But a 92 QBR rating in Darnold’s third year, which is what Rivers produced in his third year, is very much a possibility.