Should Jets build D around Adams?

Freemanm

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How do you build a defense around a safety?  Someone tell me.

They have already built it around him, he blitzes half the plays or more.

When you are always blitzing a safety you give things up, often big plays

You dont build around a safety.  What they mean to say do you want to spend the most money at the safety position and have to go cheap on the rest of the d.

Adams is great at the line of scrimmage.  He should be used in coverage as little as pissible.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

B-b-but having a whopping 6 sacks proves he is clearly the front runner for DPOY!  Ignore the lack of INTs from a DB!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You dont build around a safety.  What they mean to say do you want to spend the most money at the safety position and have to go cheap on the rest of the d.

Adams is great at the line of scrimmage.  He should be used in coverage as little as pissible.

What a weird thing to say about a supposedly elite DB.  Maybe he should be a LB.  Or just trade him for a LB or DE who can get pressure so you can have your safeties actually do coverage.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also, there’s a better than 68% chance that there’s a two week old Dallas Cowboys star tattoo still healing on Jamal Adams’ chest, so maybe let’s not designate him a cornerstone Jets player plz

Look at you dreaming/imagining  a Dallas Cowboys star tattoo on Jamal Adams chest. 

@T0mShane the things you say and do make me think you are not a well person. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hard to do when you line up as an edge rusher and blitzing all the time. 

Then don't break the bank "building around him" as a safety if he's a LB or edge rusher.  Trade him for draft picks and have an actual edge rusher do the edge rushing while you improve the team.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What exactly is it going to take for you to abandon your failed crusade?  Jamal is obviously a cornerstone of the franchise and someone JD would like to see extended.

If he gets traded it will net a kings ransom in return.  Compensation would be significantly more than you and your brethren would have us believe possible.

At this point you and your Ilk© are coming off as desperate voices trying to convince us what we are witnessing is not real.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

What exactly is it going to take for you to abandon your failed crusade?  Jamal is obviously a cornerstone of the franchise and someone JD would like to see extended.

If he gets traded it will net a kings ransom in return.  Compensation would be significantly more than you and your brethren would have us believe possible.

At this point you and your Ilk© are coming off as desperate voices trying to convince us what we are witnessing is not real.

That doesn't sound like a homer AT ALL.  What flavor is the kool aid?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He's a helluva lot more than a Safety, he's doing whatever the D coordinator asks of him and doing it well. 

He was blitzing on their long td run.

He was blitzing on another long completed pass.

He got burnt for a 67 yarder that was called back on penalty.

All in the last game in which he is being lauded for being  the best d guy in the league.

Adams is blitzing like crazy for one reason, we have no pass rushers at all.  (our newly minted 3rd overall looks like Leo clone)

Now against bad teams and bad QBs we can get away with it.  Against good teams they make us pay, thus the 3-7 record.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He's a helluva lot more than a Safety, he's doing whatever the D coordinator asks of him and doing it well. 

He’s more than a safety! Not only does he tackle running backs; sometimes he even drops into coverage! It’s like he’s invented an entirely new and never before seen position!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I'd think the calculus for Jamal should be as follows...

First, assume he won't hold out.  He certainly could, but determining if/when this would happen is an exercise in futility at this point as he could do it before Year 4, before Year 5 (option year), or before a Franchise Tagged Year 6.

We only have hard data for Jamal’s upcoming 4th season but I can reasonably estimate what the 5th year option for him might be (I’m 99% confident on this) and a 2022 Franchise Tag (less confident but still a decent estimate).  Let’s assume Jamal has guaranteed salaries (salary + roster bonus) of:

2020:  $3.50M

2021:  $12.735M (5th year option estimated)

2022:  $14.746M (Franchise Tag estimated)

That would be a grand total of $30.981M over the next 3 years with the risk of injury being on him prior to start of each league year (ex. If he suffered a career-ending injury in the 2021 season he would never see that $14.75M in 2022).  This represents total control by the Jets.

Jamal is getting paid squat in 2020 (I’m talking payouts, not Cap here).  That makes this offseason the real point of leverage with him.  You can either string him out at essentially market rates ($12.74M might even seem cheap in 2021 and his future 2022 FT amount is a little more than the Jets were paying Leo this year) or try to get a more economical longterm contract in place that’s Cap friendly in the out years.  If you’re the Jets there could be a benefit to approaching Jamal early (prior to 2020 season) if you intend to keep him longterm.  And, that’s the key question….do you intend to keep him?

The highest paid Safety right now is Kevin Byard (Titans) averaging $14.1M per year.  Using the option year and one FT as above the Jets would average paying Jamal Adams $10.3M per year for the next 3 years.  That’s cheap and it keeps him a Jet until he's 27.  There would be at least 7 current Safeties making more than him (on average) and that doesn’t include new deals or inflation in the coming seasons.

This coming Spring might be the time to lock him up longterm if you can't get the kind of offers you'd want for him prior to the 2020 Draft.

Current contract:

595041373_ScreenShot2019-11-19at7_14_25PM.png.09df556c5bcb13d604f64f29513e44cd.png

Current highest paid Safeties:

1175516232_ScreenShot2019-11-19at7_57_32PM.png.35fa49e26601ce6d8f3ca250c98349a9.png

• Upvote 1

It’s simple. Get a real ball hawking FS, move Maye to SS where he should be and use Jamal as a hybrid safety/LB playmaker with a 3-3–5 base formation for a majority of plays. He’s great in the box but having him there takes away from our backend and creates a weakness in our coverage. This solves that and we shouldn’t be exposed too badly in the run game because our front 7 is very stout against the run and Jamal does well with run blitzes anyways. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

If we were set on offense then sure, but we are not. The Priority is getting online help and WR for Sam.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

If the Jets can get significant assets for Adams, say a mid-1st round pick and a 2nd or high 3rd, I'd consider it.  But we need to beware....those picks can turn into Darron Lee or a very average Leo Williams.  Right now we have one of the Top 3 Safeties in the NFL and trading him for what's behind Door #3 is risky.  Personally, I'm not a fan of trading the best Draft pick we've made since Darrelle Revis.  I think Adams, despite the position he plays, is exactly the kind of guy you want on your football team.  Talented, high energy, no off-field sh!t, etc.  Hard to find guys like that.

All I'm saying is that he's the single best defensive player the New York Jets have had since Revis was in his prime around 2010-2011....we shouldn't just give him away if we decide to part with him for picks.  Get a haul that jumpstarts the offense.

• Post of the Week 1