Should Jets build D around Adams?

Freemanm

Defenses aren't built around a single player.

It's quite simple. Accumulate as much talent as possible, and lock up difference makers during their prime years.

Adams is a special player that changes games. If you don't see it, then I'm not really sure what you are watching.

The question isn't whether you build the defense around Adams. The question is whether Adams can play a key role in bringing a championship to this team. In my opinion, Adams has proven that the answer is a resounding yes.

• Sympathy 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:20 PM, Beerfish said:

How do you build a defense around a safety?  Someone tell me.

They have already built it around him, he blitzes half the plays or more.

When you are always blitzing a safety you give things up, often big plays

On 11/19/2019 at 9:57 PM, Pac said:

What exactly is it going to take for you to abandon your failed crusade?  Jamal is obviously a cornerstone of the franchise and someone JD would like to see extended.

TEAM PASS RK
DEF
NYJ 12.90% 21

On 11/19/2019 at 10:21 PM, jetstream23 said:

If the Jets can get significant assets for Adams, say a mid-1st round pick and a 2nd or high 3rd, I'd consider it.  But we need to beware....those picks can turn into Darron Lee or a very average Leo Williams.  Right now we have one of the Top 3 Safeties in the NFL and trading him for what's behind Door #3 is risky.  Personally, I'm not a fan of trading the best Draft pick we've made since Darrelle Revis.  

1.  Joe Douglas is not Mike Maccagnan.

2.  Is Adams the most impactful draft pick since Revis?  Decidedly not, even if you're only looking at defensive picks.  

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  Joe Douglas is not Mike Maccagnan.

That is 2019 think.  2015 think was that Maccagnan is not John Idzik.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2.  Is Adams the most impactful draft pick since Revis?  Decidedly not, even if you're only looking at defensive picks.  

This is very debatable.  Remember, Revis' impact was erasing a #1 WR....in some cases that meant guys like Calvin Johnson or Reggie Wayne not even getting targeted often because QBs stayed away from his side of the field.  There are guys here (who I won't name) that would wave the "No stats BS flag" on whether a ball not being thrown towards him is an impact.  I could argue that 6 sacks in 10 games, 2 TDs, numerous key stops including 4th downs vs. the Giants, 2-point conversion attempt vs. the Cowboys were extraordinarily impactful.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That is 2019 think.  2015 think was that Maccagnan is not John Idzik.

No, that is the ONLY way to think.  You have to build through the draft to be successful.  The fear of trading a "known" for an "unknown" should not enter any GM's consciousness.  You have to build your team on "unknowns".  

Paying Jamal Adams $15M a year when we've won 12 games the last 2.5 seasons would be unacceptable.  

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, that is the ONLY way to think.  You have to build through the draft to be successful.  The fear of trading a "known" for an "unknown" should not enter any GM's consciousness.  You have to build your team on "unknowns".  

Paying Jamal Adams $15M a year when we've won 12 games the last 2.5 seasons would be unacceptable.  

We'll just have to disagree on this.  I respect your opinion.

Also, I'm holding an envelope....it's kinda thick.  Send me $500 and I'll mail it to you.  Who knows...there could be $600 in that envelope!!

It could also be holding a dirty sock. :P

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We'll just have to disagree on this.  I respect your opinion.

Also, I'm holding an envelope....it's kinda thick.  Send me $500 and I'll mail it to you.  Who knows...there could be $600 in that envelope!!

It could also be holding a dirty sock. :P

Does the envelope hold a competent Offensive Lineman?  Because I'll take that over Jamal Adams any day of the week.  

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You get the 9th overall pick for Jamal and a player like OT Ereck Flowers.

Oh right, because all top 10 pick OL's bust, right?  Why are you assuming any draft pick we make will suck?  If our GM sucks at drafting, we're screwed regardless.  Might as well assume he will do something positive with our picks, because there's no other way to build a successful franchise.  We've sucked WITH Jamal Adams too.  Why not go a different direction?  Why so scared to lose him?

Oh, and Quenton Nelson says Hi.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh right, because all top 10 pick OL's bust, right?  Why are you assuming any draft pick we make will suck?  If our GM sucks at drafting, we're screwed regardless.  Might as well assume he will do something positive with our picks, because there's no other way to build a successful franchise.  We've sucked WITH Jamal Adams too.  Why not go a different direction?  Why so scared to lose him?

Oh, and Quenton Nelson says Hi.  

Remove Jamal Adams this year and insert Quenton Nelson since Week 1.....what's the Jets record?

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Remove Jamal Adams this year and insert Quenton Nelson since Week 1.....what's the Jets record?

Considering the Colts are 6-4 with Jacoby Brissett at QB, and their OL has played a major role in that with Nelson at the fulcrum, I'd put us at 5-5.  The run game would look great right now.  

4 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

A 1 and a 3 would do it for me. Nothing short of that though. Don't know what we can get any ideas? Lol.

I wouldn't take anything less than that either.  If the Jets can't move him in the run up to the Draft in April then I'd say hold until the 2020 Trade Deadline.  The fact of the matter is that you typically get more for a player in-season and not in the offseason.  Teams in a "win now" mode who need a do-everything defender like Adams to push them from being a 10 win team to a 12 win team will part with picks 5 months before a Draft.  Come March/April every GM wants more picks, not fewer IMO.

• Upvote 1