Can we agree that Gase was right?

Jetster

I don't think Adam Gase has anything against Le'veon Bell. You all remember the early rumors that Gase didn't want Bell & Jet fans instantly took Bells side on the subject. Bell has been a good soldier but let's all be completely honest, there is no way on gods green earth his production will match his salary. Yes, our Oline is a shambles but GREAT BACKS make something out of nothing at least once a game. Even when he gets a rare opening he doesn't seem to have the quick burst to get through. 

I was watching Devin Cook with the Vikings & his burst is amazing. My point is that the Bell contract is just another albatross that JD has to deal with. I thought the contract wasn't that bad considering we got a top 5 RB. After watching Bell for 10 games I have to say I'm not Impressed. I love his attitude but that doesn't win games. Gase was right & we'd be way better off having his salary for Oline, CB, Pass Rusher or WR. High priced free agents never seem to work out for this team. Kevin Mawae was probably our best free agent acquisition ever. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 11
  • WTF? 4
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Apparently the Steelers tried to trade for Bell at the deadline. With Powell, Montgomery, Josh Adams....why didn’t Douglas move Bell, shed the salary and get an early/mid round pick? I think the answer is Adam Gase wanted to keep Bell. 

Or we weren't offered enough, trading Bell would have caused a higher cap hit than keeping him since he still has guaranteed money on his deal. It would have all accelerated to this year.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Apparently the Steelers tried to trade for Bell at the deadline. With Powell, Montgomery, Josh Adams....why didn’t Douglas move Bell, shed the salary and get an early/mid round pick? I think the answer is Adam Gase wanted to keep Bell. 

His contract is virtually un-tradeable at this point.  It’s even going to be hard to move him next year.  Unfortunately I think the Jets are stuck with him until 2021.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I don't think Adam Gase has anything against Le'veon Bell. You all remember the early rumors that Gase didn't want Bell & Jet fans instantly took Bells side on the subject. Bell has been a good soldier but let's all be completely honest, there is no way on gods green earth his production will match his salary. Yes, our Oline is a shambles but GREAT BACKS make something out of nothing at least once a game. Even when he gets a rare opening he doesn't seem to have the quick burst to get through. 

I was watching Devin Cook with the Vikings & his burst is amazing. My point is that the Bell contract is just another albatross that JD has to deal with. I thought the contract wasn't that bad considering we got a top 5 RB. After watching Bell for 10 games I have to say I'm not Impressed. I love his attitude but that doesn't win games. Gase was right & we'd be way better off having his salary for Oline, CB, Pass Rusher or WR. High priced free agents never seem to work out for this team. Kevin Mawae was probably our best free agent acquisition ever. 

true enough.  it does look like bell wasn't a very good deal.  but i think a lot of people think bell was a 100 yard per game back.  he wasn't.  he averaged about 80 so seeing him down in the 60's behind a crappy oline isn't that surprising.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, heymangold said:

His running style doesn’t match the blocking scheme and that’s on coaching.

There is no blocking scheme that any coach could up withto correct for a way below average OL and near bottom OL with all the injuries. Bell's running style only works with an above average OL that can open holes while Bell waits. I agree with Gase that Bell was a bad fit for the Jets as currently constructed. I would like to see Bell utilized more in the passing game but sometimes he has to stay in and pick up the blitz.

• Upvote 3

We are huge under the cap and have a rookie contract QB. The only person who should care about Bells contract is woody Johnson since the only thing affected is his wallet.

Bell has provided a calming precense in a tumultuous seaosn. Worth it

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Sadly we'll never know.

53 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

His contract is virtually un-tradeable at this point.  It’s even going to be hard to move him next year.  Unfortunately I think the Jets are stuck with him until 2021.  

Too bad for us - stuck with one of the elite players in the league. Once the line gets stronger we'll be ecstatic he wasn't moved. He's still young.

• Upvote 4

Gase was right about Mac - he was not right about Bell or initial play calling for Darnold

Now that Sam's nuts have dropped and he told Gase what works and does not work, I bet we see Bell more involved in the passing game - plus running lanes will open when the pass become a threat

Bell has been worth more to this team than his yards per carry - and yards will come with time and OL

• Upvote 1

Gase isn’t using a FB and calls a lot of bad plays especially on 2nd down and after missing a pass. Fixing this  would help Bell and could give Darnold more time and that’s on Gase.
The oline is awful so no RB is going to be productive behind it. 
I didn’t want them to sign Bell I wanted Hunt (not that it would be much different). Bell is having a bad year but he’s been completely professional about it which I was way off on. I thought he’d act like an a$$hole. 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Or we weren't offered enough, trading Bell would have caused a higher cap hit than keeping him since he still has guaranteed money on his deal. It would have all accelerated to this year.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

42 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Cap hit

Good points....the money matters.  Acceleration of the bonus and dead Cap hit is the big holdup I guess.  Wasn't there a trade involving Brock Osweiler or something a few years involving a tradeoff of $$$ for a Draft pick?

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I think you may be on to something here. I was thinking of this after watching Powell play and comparing it to Bell's play. Powell is a kind of runner than Bell. This is the type of back that seems to excel in Gase' offense. We all know the type of back Bell is. 

I think Gase didn't want Bell because he wasn't a fit for the Offense he wanted to run. It was nothing personal on his part just that he felt Bell didn't fit his scheme. Now the OL play figures a lot in this whole thing but they were moving the ball on the ground with Powell in there. I'm starting to think that Bell and not Adams is the guy the Jets will be looking to trade in the off-season. Partly for this reason.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

You are being very selective in your evaluation.  Yes, you mentioned the OL which is the biggest contributor  to his mediocre  season but I would say Gase is also a contributor. Game plan and game flow have a lot to do with how productive he is and getting down by big numbers in all but a hand full of games will do more to stop a running game than the Rams DL. Gase also has not really used many end runs which was what I thought (could be wrong here) Bell would be best at because that type of run lends itself  to Bell's patient  style and allows cut backs. For the most part, Bell has been running between the tackles and we don't  have an OL that is blowing holes open for those kinds of runs. 

IOW's,  Gase not only did Darnold no favors until recently,  he is doing Bell no favors either. 

• Upvote 1

In general, I think spending a lot of money on a RB with a lot of tread on the tires, who hadn’t played in over a year, and isn’t the final piece, is not a smart football decision. That said, the contract was not overly prohibitive, and seems to be easy to get out of after this year, and due to horrid roster mgmt, we needed some offensive weapons for the QB we are trying to develop. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m just spitballing here but, what if an “offensive genius” quit trying to square peg this round hole roster and designed an offense around the strengths and weaknesses that it has? I’m probably just crazy!

What exactly are those strengths from a roster standpoint offensively? I’m failing to identify those 

• Haha 2

I think the big perk to Bell is his receiving ability at this stage of Darnold’s development. Namely, the ability to check the ball down to someone who can make a play with it rather than trying to make something out of nothing. That’s something Darnold really needs to get drilled into him. Bell made a nice cut after the catch for a first down conversion against the Redskins. Think plays like that are huge, gives the quarterback confidence that checking down can be a good option.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Ya think maybe that Gase is doing a little something with play calling and play design that ensures Bell doesn't do anything to prove him wrong ???  That sounds like I am calling Gase out for sabotage, but sabotage is not likely.  That would require that Gase has a brain.  Remember, we are taking about an OC that was recently straightened out by a second year QB.  

I'm glad the Jets have Sam and I'm glad the Jets have Douglas, but it is Gase and not Bell that is the albatross you refer to.

Gase is trying to recreate what he thinks will bring success.  In his thoughtless compulsion to hang on to his teddy bear, he is blind to the unique strengths that the Jets current roster can afford him.

The sure sign of a bad coach on either side of the ball is that all too familiar scene of the "genius" with sweat dripping from his brow as the hammer hits the top of the square peg over the round hole.

Such "genius" is going to be with us always.  Like bad weather. 

Unfortunately, we've got one such genius running the show.

• Upvote 2