The Game Plan Thread(The Road to .500 Edition)

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Don't really agree with this. Forcing the run is not working for the Jets. We need to open up the run late but using tempo/no huddle and midrange to deep passes featuring Bell motioning to slot from 12 and 13 personnel.

im fine with up tempo, but this team and darnold success just dropping back and slinging it isnt great right now.  I really do think for this team to maintain success as an offense they need to be balanced and use play action. 

12 personnell ill take for a 2/3rd and medium where you want to give the appearance of run and motion bell out to slot, but not 13.  to me using 13 and motioning out to slot in 1 wr sets isnt going to be the recipe for consistent success as an offense.  If we still had herndon available maybe since he can line up outside successfully.  While i really like griffin and what he's done this year, I'm not as high on wesco and brown being consistent viable options. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

im fine with up tempo, but this team and darnold success just dropping back and slinging it isnt great right now.  I really do think for this team to maintain success as an offense they need to be balanced and use play action. 

12 personnell ill take for a 2/3rd and medium where you want to give the appearance of run and motion bell out to slot, but not 13.  to me using 13 and motioning out to slot in 1 wr sets isnt going to be the recipe for consistent success as an offense.  If we still had herndon available maybe since he can line up outside successfully.  While i really like griffin and what he's done this year, I'm not as high on wesco and brown being consistent viable options. 

Definitely agree with balance I just dont see that the Jets are having any success at just running the ball the way they are. They need to take a page from Belichick I think and sort of go old school and try and use Wesco as lead blocker and then do the hybrid power zone blocking to one side and just try and run downhill.

My thought with 13 was as more of a change of pace where you can mix power running and iplay action.

The key to the game to me is the offense putting another 25-30 points on the board. The Raiders defense can be had and Darnold has played very well in back to back weeks. If he keeps that up, we are in a one score game in the 4th quarter and have a legit chance to win. 

I personally think Carr will shred our secondary. Even if we shut down the run (which is a big IF against this team), I think Carr will convert 3rd downs all day against us and score points. 

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Definitely agree with balance I just dont see that the Jets are having any success at just running the ball the way they are. They need to take a page from Belichick I think and sort of go old school and try and use Wesco as lead blocker and then do the hybrid power zone blocking to one side and just try and run downhill.

My thought with 13 was as more of a change of pace where you can mix power running and iplay action.

i dont like it, our offensive line is overmatched on most downs as it is, so declaring run with a 3 tight end set is going to be tough.  I dont mind mixing it in for play action and passing out of it, but i think if thats where we're going to go for our run game then we're going to get demolished.  

The problem with the run game right now is half the players fit one scheme and half the players fit another.  Theres no right way to do it with the way its constructed, but you have to do what you can to get the numbers in the box that will help the ground game be successful. Loading the box to me isnt going to be the answer. 

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Having both of their starting safeties out should help in some capacity as well.  I’d like to think Darnold will not be baited as easy with back ups.

Both of the Raiders starting safeties I wouldn’t say are out.  It’s true they lost two Ss to Ir . (Rookie J Abrams in week one, and K Joseph in week 10)   Safety Lamarcus Joyner there is a good chance he’s out this week too, but he’s the nickel cb.  

Eric Harris has been one of the starting safeties for much of the year( he baited P Rivers throwing three picks to him) .  Raiders recently signed veteran SS DJ Swearinger.    Might lose a little in run support , but they probably get a little better in pass coverage. Swearinger played very well in his first game with the Raiders despite just being signed.( should be even more comfortable this week.

Going to be interested how much newly signed MLB Preston Brown plays this week. ( Bengals defense scheme very similar to the Raiders Defense scheme.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Both of the Raiders starting safeties I wouldn’t say are out.  It’s true they lost two Ss to Ir . (Rookie J Abrams in week one, and K Joseph in week 10)   Safety Lamarcus Joyner there is a good chance he’s out this week too, but he’s the nickel cb.  

Eric Harris has been one of the starting safeties for much of the year( he baited P Rivers throwing three picks to him) .  Raiders recently signed veteran SS DJ Swearinger.    Might lose a little in run support , but they probably get a little better in pass coverage. Swearinger played very well in his first game with the Raiders despite just being signed.( should be even more comfortable this week.

Going to be interested how much newly signed MLB Preston Brown plays this week. ( Bengals defense scheme very similar to the Raiders Defense scheme.

Looks like we could see the Jamison Crowder show. Good, he's on my fantasy team. Darnold is definitely in sync with Crowder so you having some trouble at safety looks like a good place for us to take advantage. Jets have been really good stopping the run so somethings got to give there. 

32 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Looks like we could see the Jamison Crowder show. Good, he's on my fantasy team. Darnold is definitely in sync with Crowder so you having some trouble at safety looks like a good place for us to take advantage. Jets have been really good stopping the run so somethings got to give there. 

Lamarcus Joyner who Gruden has ruled out yet for Sunday( doubt he plays in the Cold) , has been terrible as the nickel cb this year. ( probably goes back to fs next year.     Cb Nevin Lawson play much better last week as the nickel cb,  than Joyner has all year there. ( could just be just the opponent ( Bengals)

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Your Safeties got hurt but you're still 6-4?  Amazing.  I always thought teams couldn't survive without using high picks on Safeties. 

Happy thanksgiving y’all. hope y’all stay safe and eat good! Coming back to update and post my keys to winning against this 0-11 Bengals team who could have some resurgence and slight sense of offensive respectability going from Ryan Finley to Andy Dalton. 

DEF491CF-4111-4EBC-A779-7AF4014C351C.jpeg.bc7ef9bb0940be36427be9b0b887642f.jpeg

Next opponent:: Cincinnati Bengals(0-11)

Stopping CIN on Defense::

Stopping the Bengals’ offense is going to start with Joe Mixon and end withJoe Mixon. He is their biggest playmaking threat and the only consistent one.

Luckily, the Jets run defense just got done bottling up one of the best young backs in the game and have continued to penetrate the LOS with consistency each and every run down. They get 4th & inches stops, they move around a lot, they’re aggressive, fast and they are feisty. They will need to continue the job in Cincy who has the 26th ranked rushing attack. 

Stopping Andy Dalton through the air presents another sneaky challenge. They have a good WR in Tyler Boyd. Bless Austin’s first big assignment. Boyd is a big bodied WR with strong hands and good athleticism. The corners will have to really play their part on Sunday if you don’t want Dalton ripping us through the air. I don’t care if he got benched or not, this is a veteran QB who has thrown the ball with some success in the past, knows his offense better than Finley and also has something to prove after being taken out of the QB1 spot for the first time in his Bengals career. The Bengals have the 31st passing attack. 

The Jets defense should be able to put a nice sized clamp down on the Bengals offense as long as they play good coverage and make it difficult on Dalton to pass with any success. Mix coverages, blitz often, keep him off balance, prove that he can’t be a successful QB under pressure because he can’t. 

Attacking the Bengals on Offense::

The Bengals have one of worst defensive units in the league. Coming into Week 12 with the 30th ranked overall defense (31st against the pass/25th against the run) Gase/Darnold should look to continue their hot streak just as they started it. They have to let Sam sling it all over the Bengals. Everyone gets involved in the offensive plan this week, we all are happy with another win. Everyone got involved last week and you seen s high powered attack. Crowder in the soft spots, L Bell in the slot, DT on the dirty work routes, Robby on the fly and Gase put TE, Ryan Griffin all over the place and often. The offensive line needs to continue holding up regardless if they have the 1st ranked pass rush defense or the 30th. This has to be a point of emphasis every week. Sam cannot play QB without it. I feel like if that comes together on offense, it’s going to be another fun week of football. Sam Darnold, when given time, is a different player. a lot more dynamic and decisive. 

I see the Jets taking this one and moving onto 5-7 on the year. Jets should be aggressive and efficient on offense and the Defense should be able to shut Cincy down easy as long as they don’t completely fall apart against Dalton. 

Jets - 24

Bengals - 13

• Upvote 2