Pair of Surging D-Linemen has Jets 2018 Draft Class Looking up

JetNation

IMG_8478a.jpg

Recent history (and not-so-recent history for that matter) has not been kind to the New York Jets and their fans when it comes time to evaluate the team’s draft classes.  However, the past decade or so has been particularly bad for Gang Green with John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan turning in what seems like one busted class after another.

However, a pair of emerging Jets defensive linemen could be turning the 2018 class from a two starter draft, to one of the better classes the team has had in years.

Franchise quarterback (yes, he’s still going to be the guy) Sam Darnold tops the list of course as the number three pick in the 2018 class, but it’s some of the picks behind him that are starting to turn heads.

Yes, fourth round pick Chris Herndon’s 2019 season is going to be a throwaway year as he finds himself on IR after missing the first eight weeks of the year, but there’s no reason to believe he won’t be a well-rounded no. 1 tight end for years to come. Outside of Darnold and Herndon, there’s defensive linemen Nathan Shepherd and Folorunso Fatukasi who deserve some credit for what they’ve done this season.

First there’s Shepherd, who many onlookers had pegged as being kicked to the curb when he was due to return from an early season for PED suspension.  However, Shepherd, in a rare move, owned up to his mistake.  He didn’t blame a tainted supplement.  He didn’t say he took something that he was told was legal.  He didn’t say he had no idea what could have triggered the positive test.  What he did do was admit that he was trying to impress a new coaching staff to  make the Jets roster after being largely invisible as a rookie.  Since returning, he’s been anything but.

Shepherd appeared in all 16 games as a rookie, failing to register a single sack and coming away with only one tackle for loss.  Since coming back from his suspension this season (3 games), he already has 2 sacks, 4 tackles for loss and one quarterback hit.  His hands look stronger and his feet look quicker.  If Shepherd does in fact become a starting-level player who can disrupt the pass, he goes from bust to third-round boom.

Even more impressive than Shepherd has been sixth-round pick Folorunso Fatukasi.  In his second season out of Connecticut, Fatukasi didn’t see the field as a rookie as he was viewed as a developmental player who needed time to adjust to the pro game, and adjust he has.  Fatukasi is evoking memories of a young Damon Harrison as he consistently overpowers opposing blockers and plugs up running lanes.

According to pro football focus, Fatukasi is the third-highest graded interior defensive lineman in the entire NFL over the past six weeks.

.@PFF's top-graded defensive linemen since Week 6:

1. Aaron Donald
2. Calais Campbell
3. Foley Fatukasi pic.twitter.com/Nf7uElQgHm

— New York Jets (@nyjets) November 16, 2019

On the season, Fatukasi has an overall grade of 89.6, ranking him 7th in the NFL among interior defensive linemen.  Not too bad for a kid out of Connecticut.

A franchise quarterback, a multi-dimensional starting tight end, and two starting defensive linemen would mean four starters and a special team’s ace (RB Trenton Cannon) with just one miss in the group in cornerback Parry Nickerson who currently resides on the Jacksonville Jaguars practice squad.

It’s clearly far too early to say exactly what this class will be, but it’s safe to say that it could be the best (and most important) the Jets have had in what seems like an eternity.

The post Pair of Surging D-Linemen has Jets 2018 Draft Class Looking up appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Vif7IBV6vQs

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Its actually astounding that we were able to get a 3rd and what will be a 4th round pick for Leo.  We can easily find a decent guard or developmental OT in the 3rd round.

Yep. No brainer trade.  Phillips  has been solid too.  Great compensation for Leo in a deep draft with positions we need. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

They make moving on from Leo easy.  

Great move by Douglas trading Leo for a 3rd and probably a 4th (if Giants sign him) and saving big dollars Leo would have demanded. Now if he can get a 1st this year and 1st next year or a 1st and a 2nd this year for Adams he might be able to rebuild the OL in one season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Sympathy 1

Well I guess we can thank Mac for having the best running defense in a passing league - lol. We had all these D-Lineman in the pipeline and then he goes and drafts Q. At least Mac was relentless at something - drafting D Lineman - when the league is set up for passing. Do we even need Q ? I would say Yes but if someone offered the 3rd pick in next draft for him I would think it be a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

This years draft class will be his Pièce de résistance.

Q will be a stud (don't believe the lunatics), Austin will Bless us, Cashman's gonna be a player, Wesco is coming on, Chuma will be alright at his natural position instead of being forced to play LT..  Sure all the irrational will whine about is Polite but if Macc hit on 5 out of 6 he left a nice little sumpin sumpin for JD.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Pac said:

Q will be a stud (don't believe the lunatics), Austin will Bless us, Cashman's gonna be a player, Wesco is coming on, Chuma will be alright at his natural position instead of being forced to play LT..  Sure all the irrational will whine about is Polite but if Macc hit on 5 out of 6 he left a nice little sumpin sumpin for JD.

I’m still a QW believer f the haters 

Howeve I’d be ok with trading QW for a first in next year's draft.  Shep, McClendon and Anderson is serviceable next couple of years

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m still a QW believer f the haters 

Howeve I’d be ok with trading QW for a first in next year's draft.  Shep, McClendon and Anderson is serviceable next couple of years

Q is going to be a stud.  He's a 21 year old recovering from a high ankle sprain and he still has some baby fat to shed.  Much in the way Shep and Foley have improved in their 2nd year so will Q..  except in Q's case his ceiling is much higher.

No way in hell JD trades Q before seeing what he becomes.  Trading him for a 1st rounder then watching him become an all pro for another team would be an all time blunder.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Q is going to be a stud.  He's a 21 year old recovering from a high ankle sprain and he still has some baby fat to shed.  Much in the way Shep and Foley have improved in their 2nd year so will Q..  except in Q's case his ceiling is much higher.

No way in hell JD trades Q before seeing what he becomes.  Trading him for a 1st rounder then watching him become an all pro for another team would be an all time blunder.

I agree that Q will be a stud but our roster is pure Swiss cheese right now and we don’t need interior DL

Besides OL we need 2 WRs, a legit #1 CB, legit nickel back, 2 OLBs

Mac just did a number on this franchise

Just now, Philc1 said:

I agree that Q will be a stud but out roster is pure Swiss cheese right now and we don’t need interior DL

Besides OL we need 2 WRs, a legit #1 CB, legit nickel back, 2 OLBs

Williams likes to rotate a lot of people on the line.  They already traded Leo and got a decent return.  No chance you trade Q.

Poole is a legit nickel...  As for OLB JD will decide whether or not to keep Avery but it's not like people don't come back and play well off ACL's.

Lets see what JD does this off season.  I think the team simply getting healthy and gaining continuity by playing together will go a long way.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Williams likes to rotate a lot of people on the line.  They already traded Leo and got a decent return.  No chance you trade Q.

Poole is a legit nickel...  As for OLB JD will decide whether or not to keep Avery but it's not like people don't come back and play well off ACL's.

Lets see what JD does this off season.  I think the team simply getting healthy and gaining continuity by playing together will go a long way.

We’re gonna pull out all stops to sign Scherff since I doubt the redskins franchise tag him so he hits the open market

If we sign Scherff, Shaq Barrett and a WR it fixed a lot of problems on the roster but we won’t gave much left in cap space 

2 hours ago, Pac said:

That is ironic but I hope it happens.

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

It’s why the Quinnen Williams pick was even more stupid, and why Josh Allen would have helped transform this unit.

He takes Josh Allen & Jets sign Barrett, Jets would have been complete up front. Ugh. And I truly believe QW will become a beast over the next 3 years.